Familliar Suggestion/Request

Place to learn news about the magic shop, and discuss developments. Not for magic dev generally, use the proper forum for that.

Moderator: Naomh

Familliar Suggestion/Request

Postby -Fenrir- on Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:01 pm

BEAR
Hair: Colors are mainly earthy colors, Browns & Blacks
Weight: Size range for females is from 225 kg (500 lbs) to 315 kg (700 lbs) and for males 360 kg (800 lbs) to 635 kg (1400 lbs).
Height: An average adult male measures 244 cm (8 ft 0 in) in length and stands 133 cm (4 ft 4 in) tall at the shoulder

Description: While many people think bears are nocturnal, they are, in fact, generally diurnal, active for the most part during the day. The belief they are nocturnal apparently comes from the habits of bears that live near humans, which engage in some nocturnal activities, such as raiding waste piles and crops, while avoiding detection by humans. A bear can easily track prey, it's nose apt for such things, especially within a forest setting. The bears sense of smell and hearing are heightened, much more so than the average male/female. (Perhaps in bonding with a bear, ones senses could be heightened?) The bear is able to bear great weight, cover long distances, and run in excess of 30-40mph
The average bear is an excellent hunter, and able to obtain food through various means, be it scavenging or hunting. Bears may eat meat or plant life.

Bears produce a variety of vocalizations such as:
Moaning is produced mostly as mild warnings to potential threats or in fear.
Barking is produced during times of alarm, excitement or to give away the animal's position.
Huffing is made to show affection to warn of danger or distrust.
Growling is produced as strong warnings to potential threats or in anger.
Roaring is used much for the same reasons as growls and also to proclaim territory and for intimidation.

(Reason for Request) Bears are Awesome.
-Fenrir-
Novice
Novice

Re: Familliar Suggestion/Request

Postby Ray`el on Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:03 pm

One reply
Ray`el
Predominate
Predominate

Postby lyllamarie on Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:13 pm

Familiars in this category tend to be smaller to deter those who try to them like horses; however, I'll nudge the other members of HC to see what they say.
lyllamarie
High Council
High Council

Postby Ehlanna on Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:59 pm

I've chatted to Fenrir about this and whilst I have no obvious exception to a bear familiar I do, a little, with one so large. All the other large familiars are of a docile form: horse, cow, etc., whilst the bear, to me, has incipient violent overtones which goes wholly against the familiar concept.
I am not up to speed on what is, and isn't permitted, but I suspect that 'shanghai-ing' one into a regular beast of burden is against the basic concept too. A smaller critter, say about the size of a large dog, would be ok in my book, but that would pretty much make it non-rideable.
Ehlanna
High Council
High Council

Postby -Fenrir- on Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:41 pm

Fen dun wanna ride it...He just wants da frieeeend.
-Fenrir-
Novice
Novice

Re: Familliar Suggestion/Request Nguruvilu

Postby Aticus on Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:57 pm

Nguruvilu- Fox Snake
Coloration- Varies from reddish browns to ice blues and forest greens.

Description: This creature resembles a mix of a fox and a snake with a long, serpent like body covered with fur and scales. It has serpent like eyes and fangs though the head is that of a fox. It has four thin legs it uses to climb and cling to objects. The creature itself measures only about five feet in length.

Behavior: It is a predatory creature, preferring to hunt mince, rats, rabbits and birds. Despite its predatory nature, it will consume just about any type of food. When it sleeps, it will either coil into a small ball or wrap around a branch or small tree. It is a patient hunter, choosing the right moment to strike and has been known to stalk its prey for hours looking for the right moment.

Venom: While normally venomous, when a Nguruvilu is summoned to be a familiar, it loses this property. Therefore, it uses its large fangs to deal mortal wounds to its prey, shaking it rabidly before devouring the unfortunate creature unlucky enough to be caught in its jaws.

Aticus
Initiate
Initiate

Return to Sorcerous Sanctuary