Grim Ranger Story arc: Episode1: KASMIR

Stories, poetry and pictures created by players here

Moderator: Tehya

Grim Ranger Story arc: Episode1: KASMIR

Postby Wadeywade on Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:21 pm

The desert winds whipped and eddied around the pair with violent force, they'd long ago been forced to land in the arid shifting sands below when a great dust storm came suddenly upon them. Wade landed first, setting the gear in the sand followed by Diana who would shade Wade with her wings. "There." Wade points to an outcropping of rock that stood sandblasted against the sky like a needle of layers, the rest of the outcropping temporarily would allow them shelter against the coming storm; wade concentrated using his wind spells to float the gear along as he zipped along, Diana close behind. The storm beat down upon the land raising a wall of dark, electricity filled sand so high that as wade came up with an impromptu shelter using pitons in the stone along with tarps and ropes so it would be big enough to shield Diana; as he finished this task as quickly as he could in the thirty minutes they had, it had blotted the sun from the sky casting everything in twilight. "Inside!" Wade told Diana, she crawled into the semi-cave depression in the stone Wade tarped off and Wade followed. Tying the tarp into place he huddled with Diana as the storm raged and howled trying to pull desperately at the shelter.

Wade lit a lamp, and sat. Closing his eyes he concentrated, and the winds began to subside immediately around them, though beyond that the storm seemed determined to crush the will of this puny mortal with sand and fury. Wade raised both hands, and he began to chant.. sing, actually, a calm, almost serene song that even caused Diana to cock her head at the beautiful sound he was making. Wade closed his eyes and concentrated on Her, his goddess Trieste and around them it abated and abided, dumping sand where there was little, or no wind at all. Now and again a wind would sweep by and clear some, then another followed, and still Wade sang that calm, powerfully peaceful song. And the winds listened, the depth of his faith unshaken and unbloodied, Wade let it fill him, surround him. Push through his voice as he sang above the fury around him, drowned out by it but also in harmony with it. Wade let the storm feed his magic, and so he kept pace and once the storm passed, the long shadows cast by the stones told him much time had passes; indeed a sea of sand had moved upon them and had it not been for Wades magic, the tarp and great faith, Diana and Wade would have found a sandy grave. Wade began digging, the gear had been part of the makeshift barricade and still, there was two feet of sand against the wall. Wade dug it out and broke out the tents, leaving the tarps up for Diana to have a shelter meanwhile setting up the small tent for himself. Diana meanwhile amused herself by lounging on a large stone and sunning herself in the days' dying rays. "Lazy." Wade croaked and it was only then he realized how thirsty he was. Digging out the water, he took a drink taking some to Diana in a broken bucket helm.

Slopping it up happily Diana thumps her tail, and Wade poured her some more. "Careful we don't have much left. Lets hope that we find that oasis." Wade says hoarsely before watering himself again, coughing from the seeming needle like roughness of the cool water on his parched system. Once he righted himself, he digs out the food and makes them both something to eat, they'd run out of water long before they ran out of food, sadly water was really heavy thus, he couldnt bring as much as they should have. Wade examined the 'map' which was little more than written directions by light of the fire as the sun spent the last of its rays on the harsh sandy world around him. Wade fed Diana and ate himself, and once he did that, he got some rest. Once the morning came Wade took down his tent and most of the shelter (using tarp and rope to bundle the gear) and waited out most of the day; he knew having grown up next to a desert, best time to travel was at night. Waiting out the sun was no easy task, they had shelter but the sun was relentless in the gritty wasteland; Sleep was high in the order of things to occupy themselves as well as a meal before Wade broke camp completely at sunset, and they began their journey anew. Wade bundled the last of the gear and they took flight, flying through the night above the sterile landscape searching the horizon for the silouettes of trees under the crescent moon.

Wade flashed back to the first and last time he had crossed this desert, Diana could sense his unease and flew a little closer. Wade waved her back and soared onward, they flew as long as they could, resting a bit and drinking before continuing on, until the sun began to paint the sky with the blood of the day to come. Wade landed behind Diana this time, he and the gear hitting a sand slope on the shadowy side of a dune. "Damn this desert." Wade curses, pulling out the waterskin he empties the nearly empty bag into the helmet for Diana, and opens the last one. "This is it., after this, we're cooked if we don't hit that oasis soon." And so the clock began ticking, Wade carefully rationed the water but by the time night came, they had half a skin of water. Stars glimmered indifferently but still they pushed on, resting when they needed to but pushing forward as the water supply dwindled, then winked from existence by a furtive swallow. Finally as the sun once again began to paint the sky in its colorful brilliance they landed, miles from nowhere still in a landscape where everything looked like everything else all the time. They were lost, and Wade knew it and he knew if he knew, Diana did too. Finding no rocks for shelter this time, Wade used a rather large dune instead for shade which he extented using tarps and tents.

They had travelled very far, but this path could well be their doom; now multiple days travel into the desert without water and of course, another looming sandstorm. Wade braced the shelter and ushered Diana inside, feeling hot and feverish from thirst wade flopped in the shaded part, Diana curled nearby as the first tendrils of the storm reached them. But this was no ordinary storm, this was that type of storm that only blows in once every hundred years and lays waste to pretty much whatever is in its path. As the minutes stretched into small eternities Wade noticed the storm ratcheting up. Calling Diana to his side he sat as she curled around him, Wade began to sing that song, and as the music swelled lyrically, he reached into the storms' heart to switch it off. He called upon his wind magics to quell it.
He was not ready for what he found.
The Storm battered at his mind as much as his spirit, the tent around him began to collapse as the sand and wind piled upon it, Wade sang but his voice faltered, the tent sagged above him and Diana rose and shielded him with her wing and her body but it was too late, Wade felt the connection to his magic snap like a delicate thread, and it was gone just like that. The storm crushed down on the shelter ruining it, and then everything for Wade went brown, then black..
To be continued

(Proceed to part two here!: viewtopic.php?f=190&t=21896 )
"There are no strings on me." Leonard Snart
-
“it gladdens me to know Odin prepares for a feast, soon I will be drinking ale from curved horns! I will not enter Odins Hall with fear, I shall wait for my sons to join me.. and when they do, I shall bask in their tales of triumph! the Aesir shall welcome me. my death comes without apology! I welcome the Valkeries, to SUMMON ME HOME!”-Ragnar Lodbrok
Wadeywade
Expert
Expert

Return to Creations