Grim Ranger series, Ep. 3: Wandering and Going Nowhere

Stories, poetry and pictures created by players here

Moderator: Tehya

Grim Ranger series, Ep. 3: Wandering and Going Nowhere

Postby Wadeywade on Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:06 pm

Days passed.

Wade took the time to recover from his injuries as best he could without a healer, still having one at the beginning made a difference but it was slow, all the same. Diana stayed close to him, seemingly as protective of him as he seemed to be of her, and neither wandered far from the impromptu camp they had pitched near the heart of this wandering oasis. Wade determined to mark both the pattern (which he discovered, there was none beyond the exactness of where the oasis would reappear each time) and length and discovered between 'flips', there was approximately four hours. Since he had to walk, it took an hour to walk the full perimeter of the oasis which was a good thing because Wade had not tossed all the stones on the same side to make the visual reference more distinct in his mind. He had more than enough time to do this, meanwhile the oasis itself provided pretty much everything he and Diana needed, yet in its way it held them prisoner for fear of being stranded deep inside the desert. The sheer boredom was perhaps the worst thing they had to deal with, without magic Wade had to rely on alot of bushcraft so repairs and maintenence on their rickety shelter had to be done by hand which of course allieviated some of that boredom.

A month passed. Wade kept track marking the days on a stone with impromptu paint he made, there was also something odd he discovered: it looked like a place where metal had formed on the surface, it was slightly bubbled off the rock around it on the top surface (which is why he missed it before, being unable to fly or use any magic). But it was also flat, with a raised edge; wade was sure it wasnt natural except.. it was buried in a stone.

"Thats because its not from this world." The feminine voice behind Wade startled him, he tucked, rolled and came up with an axe drawn and immediately fell to one knee, head down.."I.. did not.. know.. I-I didn't know you could physically manifest in this world." Wade said quietly. "No, my child I think you knew. Any other explination would be.. impossible. Please, rise. You look uncomfortable." This was said more sardonically than one might expect; "Seems you always end up bending into the wind, don't you? Always.. causing dischord." Wade approached the glowing, ten tailed form of his Goddess, he doesn't really pull himself to full height, he can't. "I am going to give you a choice, Wade. Many.. consider you an abberation, an error of judgement on my part and a breaking of my oath not to re-conform the souls created by other Dieties." The single tailed vulpine listened in objective silence, absorbing what he hears. "But, I would be remiss in mentioning.. I have come to love you, Wade. Though I did not create you, initially, your destiny was never where you started life. Your road was meant to end, where mine began; those turns in the roads were meant to be tests. And inevitably, it also brought us here."

Wade sighed heavily at this, and the Lady smiled down to him. "You did better than you think you did, have no worry. What you did, what you gave and what you are chose a better outcome than anyone, even I, anticipated. That is why we.. are here. It is also why I came to love you as my.. creation, my child." Turning to Wade the Lady waved a hand at the metal object, the inside metal panels seemed to blossom upward like some great metallic flower revealing what looked like a river.. no, an endless ocean of electricity. It streaked by in shades of yellow, red, blue and silver, "What is it?" Wade asked, awestruck. "The primordial cords, the force that holds the universes together and to each other." She said, and of course Wade backed up a little. "You say I cause chaos, and you're gonna send me in there? Boy did they ever piss you off.." he concludes, and she shrugged indifferently. "It isn't like that.. it will cause you to shed that extra part and.. if, if you find your way back to this world, you will no longer.. present a problem."

Wade holds up his left hand. "And this? I can cast with my right, " he flexed his other hand, it was still clunky and sometimes sore from having his fingers disjointed. "But it is my primary sword hand and also some spells require two hands; I can no longer cast them." The Lady looked down, "I cannot return them to you. I could have, but the Run'ya Najaka used some ancient Vulpine dark magic that is even beyond me to heal." Wade grunted, figures; he thought to himself. "Don't be like that, " The Lady said softly. She smiled, "minus two fingers you dispatched several men. The whole joke about you being formidable? Its true." That smile fell away sadly. "You must choose, Wade. Remain, and stay in this oasis until the end of you life, or.." Wade waved a hand, he really had a bad feeling about where this was going. "Wait whoa." The Lady cast him a look, one that told him that was either really stupid or ballsy for a mortal to interrupt a divine being. "Sorry." Wade said, wondering if she would blast him or just snap her fingers and make him vanish. The Lady cracked a small, almost invisible smile. "No, go ahead, Wade, you have a question; just like you always do." That smile blossomed into something bigger then seemingly of its own accord.

"Yeah, no I just.. " Wade paused trying to find words to out his thoughts coherently. "What happens if I did step outside?" The Lady nodded, "that -is- a fair question. You would be obliterated from time and space. The option is to re-enter the source of all things; that binding force that will speed you along your way." Wade shakes his head. "Wait speed me to...where, exactly?" The Lady shrugged, "things are bigger than you imagine, Wade. Where you will land I do not know, because even in the vastness that is Everything, I cannot see that far." Wade nodded. "Fair enough. What about Diana?" Wade looked to his mephos, his now near-constant companion who, for a lack of anything else to do, had been chasing a bird this whole time the conversation is taking place. "You care for her much. I can sense it." Touching his chest Wade felt.. well to call it pain or pleasure or anything else would be to do it injustice. Perhaps it was all these things but most of all, searing fury. His dragon tattoo (remember that?) glowed, at the same time Diana glowed a soft silvery glow. "Now she is anchored to you. Where you travel, she will go but be wary, some worlds are not ready for a.. six and a half foot long flying silver lizard." The Lady chuckled, and Wade nodded, "Thank you." He said softly.

"You are welcome. Besides it seemed tragic to separate you, the bond is exceptionally strong anyhow. Besides, you earned the right to a companion, someone familiar." Wade looked at the pond of primordial electricity, and then around the oasis. And he weighed the choices.

To be continued

To the conclusion!: viewtopic.php?f=190&t=21901
"There are no strings on me." Leonard Snart
-
“it gladdens me to know Odin prepares for a feast, soon I will be drinking ale from curved horns! I will not enter Odins Hall with fear, I shall wait for my sons to join me.. and when they do, I shall bask in their tales of triumph! the Aesir shall welcome me. my death comes without apology! I welcome the Valkeries, to SUMMON ME HOME!”-Ragnar Lodbrok
Wadeywade
Expert
Expert

Return to Creations