The problem with Slave Auctions

A place for players to get on their soap box and let it all out.
Ops will not respond to any posts here except to delete anything which is beyond the limits of a civilized community.

The problem with Slave Auctions

Postby CallieO on Mon May 17, 2021 9:39 pm

I think we may have lost a valued player due to the result of the most recent Slave Auction. I'm not naming names, but he sold for an underwhelming and frankly deeply insulting amount of money, and I haven't seen him since.
"If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe."
--Dr. Beverly Crusher

Player of Callie Volopa, Viaa, Auric Lightwing, Brian Perano, Erin Tarcata and Aimee Sarasiné

CallieO
Predominate
Predominate

Re: The problem with Slave Auctions

Postby Infernis on Mon May 17, 2021 9:58 pm

The slave auctions have always served as a type of popularity contest. People who put themselves out there have to be aware of the potential outcomes.

There's a proverb that one should never ask a question if they're not prepared for the possible answer.
Infernis
Predominate
Predominate

Postby Tawny on Mon May 17, 2021 10:36 pm

I think I know of whom you speak and I am sorry if we lost a player, but much like what Infernis said... There is almost always one in each auction that goes for a low price and I have found that normally its one whose player doesn't really put a lot into presenting their char on stage. Yes its true that there is always those whom has chars that are wanted by a lot of players so they sell for much higher amounts. If you enter anything in life you have to understand the outcome may not be what you wanted. He isn't the first and he wont be the last to have a char that sell's for a low amount. But I don't believe anyone has ever quit the game over it and in fact they come to the next one I run and try again. I feel bad that a player was hurt by something that happened in the game and I hope they return to the game. However I cant see stopping something that give's most of the players something they enjoy doing over one player's reaction. My hope is that they will come back to the game with the understanding that this is just a game and that their char selling for a low amount of in game money has no baring on how they are seen or valued as a player in the game by the other players.
Tawny

Postby Menhir on Tue May 18, 2021 8:19 am

Seen people -not sell- at all and get shuffled off the stage for the next person in line and were in channels ready to rp after the event ... Should be satisfied they got picked up at all, maybe? Could turn into a chance for some interesting roleplay even if you weren't expecting it.
Menhir
Adept
Adept

Postby CallieO on Wed May 19, 2021 1:17 am

I'm not saying we should stop running the slave auctions over the reaction of one player, if in fact that's the reason he left. I'm just saying... it's unfortunate, and I wish it hadn't happened. When people enter into slave auctions, they need to remember to leave their egos at the door.
"If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe."
--Dr. Beverly Crusher

Player of Callie Volopa, Viaa, Auric Lightwing, Brian Perano, Erin Tarcata and Aimee Sarasiné

CallieO
Predominate
Predominate

Postby Neko Nightstalker on Sat May 22, 2021 8:49 am

exactly that. besides there's serveral contributing factors to low bids. heck the last one i was in i only sold for 200 mhl. i kinda consider it an insulitng amount, but it shouldn't be enough to send someone out the door for good
Neko Nightstalker
Adept
Adept

Postby Balard on Sun May 23, 2021 12:45 pm

Hmm yeah it is a shame that a auction made someone leave, but i tell you now, i have had worse, as-well one auction i went very low as no one wanted Balard, but then one decided to give pity, but it went worse as i had no rp from it at all, i felt bad because i thought it was a time waste from all aspects, mine, the auctioneers and the bidder, so when they logged off after the auction, the bidder didn't even speak to me about rp or anything.

I put Balard up a couple of times and the rp never happened after the initial bidding, it's just a bad moment for me the auctions are, so i had decided never to put Balard up again and i am not even sure on bidding for a slave, as i feel like it might happen to them and i would feel bad about it too.
Balard
Expert
Expert

Postby Kable Syranos on Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:31 pm

Sometimes it's simply a factor of who happens to be present and bidding at the auction. All it takes is for two characters to both have their eye on the same prize for bids to get high, and conversely if the people bidding don't know anything about you or your char, the bids might not be there at all. I wouldn't ever take any of it personally or as a reflection of the value of one's character.
Kable Syranos
Novice
Novice

Postby Stormbringer on Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:39 pm

You have to remember that a potential buyer isn't just spending Mhl. They are also making a commitment to spending time roleplaying. Now if a character doesn't put themselves as entertaining, or if they don't match the fantasies of a potential buyer, then it isn't necessarily a slur on that character. It's that a purchaser with limited online time doesn't feel the buzz.
--------------
Charm’d magic casements, opening on the foam
Of perilous seas, in faery lands forlorn

(John Keats)
Check your baggage at the door and bring some magic through your
window onto the world of Belariath
Stormbringer
High Council
High Council

Return to Players Rant and Rave