Slaves and combat

Questions and suggestions about the rules of the roleplay and how things work

Moderators: L`aquera, Stormbringer, Ehlanna, lyllamarie

Re: Slaves and combat

Postby Ishtori on Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:11 pm

I belive slaves still aren't considered "equipment" and while a slave it's an RP investment I belive equiment slots are saved for things that confer beneficts to combat (short of one or two exceptions which for the same reasons I don't see fitting there).

I'm not really sure with what you mean by upkeep SB. I don't see how a slave would require maintnance since they are player characters and like all other are assumed to gain their own money (even if just those 20 mhl) to be able to survive on their own if needed. The upkeep is no more than a tax paid monthly for the slave and thus you are paying for something that's yours.

Also no you can't treat a slave how you want since you can't mistreat a slave for the sake of doing it since they have rights and the ISA will see to it. Is there a lot of room to play? Yes, but you are not free to treat a slave to your liking.

Again this is not an attack on how the things work, it's my personal view of things. And yes, there might be others who think the same but I'm speaking for myself alone.
"The heavens burned
The stars cried out
And under the ashes of infinity
Hope, scarred and bleeding breathed it's last."
Ishtori
Expert
Expert

Postby lyllamarie on Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:47 pm

Ishtori wrote:I belive slaves still aren't considered "equipment" and while a slave it's an RP investment I belive equiment slots are saved for things that confer beneficts to combat (short of one or two exceptions which for the same reasons I don't see fitting there).

I'm not really sure with what you mean by upkeep SB. I don't see how a slave would require maintnance since they are player characters and like all other are assumed to gain their own money (even if just those 20 mhl) to be able to survive on their own if needed. The upkeep is no more than a tax paid monthly for the slave and thus you are paying for something that's yours.

Also no you can't treat a slave how you want since you can't mistreat a slave for the sake of doing it since they have rights and the ISA will see to it. Is there a lot of room to play? Yes, but you are not free to treat a slave to your liking.

Again this is not an attack on how the things work, it's my personal view of things. And yes, there might be others who think the same but I'm speaking for myself alone.

Slaves do not get a stipend per month. They only gain money from a worked job, and that is at the discretion and permission of the Owner. They cannot gain a position above that of an Assistant Manager, in some cases I think not at all.

In addition, slaves 'are' equipment. They are furniture. They are pets. If you go to the SPCA, even they require proof that you can handle the addition of that animal. For us, I simply seek if its not the ISA clerk asking point blank and doing a back ground check, its checking equipment slots.

The slots and 'upkeep' is a system in my own opinion derived to make sure a slave owner is not taking on a responsibility that they cannot handle. It is, to me, a built in throttle. Not only does the master need room to house the slave, but he needs the ability to pay for their upkeep, because he will be having that upkeep pulled from his account for the ISA records -- so if you only get a stipend of 20, but you have 4 slaves. that means you OWE.. the Empire -20.. so, all of it combined, is to make sure the Master is taking on what he can handle.

The same with the IRS -- if your networth goes up (IE the amount of goodies your getting), but your not paying in your taxes, there's a problem there. consider slaves as part of the character's net worth.

Equipment slots do not carry for just items that effect combat. Familiars, Potions, some IoP's and SI's that may not effect combat, all of those may and do require an equipment slot.
The player of
LyllaMarie{SB} || Sutara || Ebilese || Hellian Cros || Kuma || Imogene
lyllamarie
High Council
High Council

Postby Avarwraith on Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:24 pm

Upkeep can be defined in RP terms as food, drink, room and board, permission to use the bathhouse,etc. Basically when you take a slave they DO become your PROPERTY ICly, regardless of how you choose to treat them. As such, certain costs are accrued that are dealt with in a fairly simple manner. Slave upkeep. You can rp this money being drained from you in whatever fashion you want. If you want to argue realistically, then you would be paying quite a bit more for the living expenses of a slave, not just a measly few mehrials a month.

However,if you disagree with the system, then it is a fairly easy thing to simply not take part of it. Don't want your equipment slots eaten up by non-combat related tools, then don't own slaves. Don't want to have to pay a few mehrials a month in upkeep after paying for the slave? Don't own slaves.

There is nothing saying that you cannot rp putting a collar around someone's neck without making it official, some players even prefer it as it allows them much broader rp chances then they might get with someone's nameplate on their nick.

No one is going to force anyone to take part in the system.
Avarwraith
Predominate
Predominate

Postby Kydo on Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:00 am

There has certainly been some interesting responses to this. However to kind of pull things back on topic and away from costs as that was not at all what this was about...

If you wanted to make it so that in order to have a slave have weapon and armor the slaves OWNER had to actually own it. I wouldn't complain. Make it so that they could only be given the right to even touch such inside the arena on penalty of whatever I have an issue with that one because it does discriminate against physical classes. Making penalty for attacking a free person for any reason other than personal defense.... much... much worse, absolutely. Infact, hell, make penalty for attacking anyone without proper cause much worse, slave OR free person.

I can understand the other side of it, the rebellion or rebelious slaves (because everyone knows they are here). But I'll tell you what, if Kydo's slave attacked someone, he would beat her for it and I don't think anyone would even blink. But there are also lots of people that would likely not treat their slaves in a way that they should be treated IF this was ever even allowed. So I find myself at a middle ground where I can understand one side, but still would love to see the other.
The Works Skills
Metal Smith x5 (Master), Mithril Smith x5 (Master), Valencite Smith x5 (Master)

HoF Skills
Hunting/Trapping 5, Soldiering 5, Scouting 5, Winged Riding 3

Kydo
Novice
Novice

Postby Stormbringer on Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:20 pm

I do understand what you're saying Kydo and the rules, as with many rules in real life, don't necessarily make a lot of sense. They are there because of society's belief in what is 'right and proper'. How much of the civilised world has laws against people walking around with no clothes on? And how much damage does it actually do if it were allowed? An example you can argue either way but it doesn't inherently harm anyone. Similarly in the society of Belariath, slaves carrying weapons and wearing armor offends the sensibilities of those who consider slaves are supposed to look submissive and attractive.

In modern society, people who wish to do so can go to a cinema, watch a dvd, go online and view people with no clothes on 24/7. Belariath doesn't have those options, so an outlet for those who *do* wish to see slaves carrying weapons and fighting, the Arena would be an equivalent.

The analogy is limited of course, in that free people go clothed to a movie studio and take their clothes off to perform naked. So spare me from taking it too literally and arguing that slaves should be allowed to walk around normally except when going to the arena to fight please! If necessary I'll just argue that slaves who habitually fight carry themselves differently from those who don't ;)
--------------
Charm’d magic casements, opening on the foam
Of perilous seas, in faery lands forlorn

(John Keats)
Check your baggage at the door and bring some magic through your
window onto the world of Belariath
Stormbringer
High Council
High Council

Postby Kydo on Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:17 pm

That's all I really wanted to know. I was asking the question just because without asking you'll never know the answer really. I didn't intend to stir up what I did here, I thought I might get one or two opinions but not three pages worth.

I thought it would be a fun and interesting idea however since you seem against it, oh well. Your game after all.
The Works Skills
Metal Smith x5 (Master), Mithril Smith x5 (Master), Valencite Smith x5 (Master)

HoF Skills
Hunting/Trapping 5, Soldiering 5, Scouting 5, Winged Riding 3

Kydo
Novice
Novice

Previous

Return to Rules and Gameplay