Armor and the way it stacks.

Questions and suggestions about the rules of the roleplay and how things work

Moderators: L`aquera, Stormbringer, Ehlanna, lyllamarie

Armor and the way it stacks.

Postby crow on Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:16 pm

So I have been trying to put together a list of optimal equipment.

And I found myself running into a problem that is.. Its kind of poorly defined what 'slot' if any a given item takes up, and whether they are able to stack and with what.

Currently the best source we have on this appears to be this:
http://belariath.com/info/armor.html

If you assume that each category outlined there stacks with eachother and not itself which is what it seems to imply we have a few small things like..
Gauntlets and vambracers* dont stack
leggings and greaves wont stack
body armor and gambersons wont stack.

While I have no real problem with that if that is how it really works I would like to know for sure.
crow
Expert
Expert

Re: Armor and the way it stacks.

Postby lyllamarie on Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:19 pm

I'm not sure about what your asking.

Slots refer to Equipment slots.

Unless you mean by which 'body part' each item covers.

Gauntlets and Gambesons do stack

Body Armor and Gambesons do stack

Leggings and Greaves -- do you mean like clothing legging or Chain Leggings? If Chain Leggings and Greaves, then no they do not stack.
The player of
LyllaMarie{SB} || Sutara || Ebilese || Hellian Cros || Kuma || Imogene
lyllamarie
High Council
High Council

Postby crow on Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:48 pm

Ah I meant Gauntlets and Vambracers, I must have been distracted while I wrote it.

Yes I mean the body part.
crow
Expert
Expert

Postby lyllamarie on Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:51 pm

ahh, ok.

I am in the process of clearing up a few things with that page. If you see slots let me know where and I'll see about correcting.

Guantlets and Vambraces can stack, despite what the website says.

Why?

Full Body armor comes with gauntlets and vambraces which are used together. Gauntlets cover the hands and wrists, vambraces cover the forearm. It wouldn't be different just because you bought the items separately.

So far, that is the only discrepancy I have seen. It does state lower on the page that Gambesons are the exception to the Body/Torso rule, as its specifically meant to be worn under heavy armor. So, gambeson can stack with other body armor.

EDIT: P.S.. for any who say OMG YOUR SO WRONG.. I AM in the process of asking other Admin and putting this in Dev for clarification and any required changes.
The player of
lyllamarie
High Council
High Council

Postby Neko Nightstalker on Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:53 pm

yes the list can be quite confusing on some parts but the only conflict it seems is between gauntlets and bracers as gambeson specifically states it can be worn with. maybe add something like hand/foot leg/arm instead of just limbs?
Neko Nightstalker
Adept
Adept

Postby lyllamarie on Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:57 pm

hand/foot?
The player of
lyllamarie
High Council
High Council

Postby crow on Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:28 pm

Since we are here.

What is confusing is that the best piece or armor is a
body plate
Description: Complete plate suit, including great helm, gauntlets, vambraces and greaves. See individual items for details.
Strength (STR) Required: 32
Defense Modifier: 13

First of all, as I understand it the bodyplate is sold as a single piece of equipment taking up 3slots. It is unclear whether:
- Each piece can be enchanted
- If individual pieces can be swapped out for better ones (Say great helm for Horned Helm)
- Exactly what a "plate suit" is, as there is no such item on the list.
- Where all that extra def is coming from. (see below)
- If it can still be added to by different armor pieces such as the gamberson
- Why A melee is expected to sell all their gear and buy single piece which apparently consists of loose pieces according to the description, yet it is impossible to buy the individual pieces and get the same result.

Assuming the bodysuit consists off.. (And if it does, the gambeson and half plate should be added to the desc.)

half plate
Description: Breast and back plates - a cuirass
Strength (STR) Required: 18
Defense Modifier: 5

great helm
Description: Magic Use by WaM
Strength (STR) Required: 6
Defense Modifier: 2

gauntlets
Description: ATK 1 when used as weapon (i.e., a punch) NO spell casting possible whilst being worn
Strength (STR) Required: 3
Defense Modifier: 1

vambraces
Description: Piece of armour covering the lower arm from the wrist to the elbow
Strength (STR) Required: 4

greaves
Description: basic shin/lower leg protection ATK 1 when used as weapon (i.e., a kick)
Strength (STR) Required: 3

gambeson
Description: A quilted under suit that can be worn UNDER armour for a extra piece of armour, it's a full body suit, doesn't cover hands or feet though.
Strength (STR) Required: 1

This totals too : 11def for a 35str requirement. 31str if all mithril.
I cant figure out any way to get up to 13 def except if you were to assuming that leggings and greaves do mix or don't count if they are part of the same piece of armor as that opens up..
plate and chain
Description: As half plate but with chain leggings (chausses)
Strength (STR) Required: 28
Defense Modifier: 7

with the 2 extra def that we're missing. Even if it brings up the str requirement up to 45str or 42 if all mithril. Though that would still leave me puzzled why fusing together a half plate(+5) and a chain legging(+1) would end up giving +7

Maybe that is the general idea though.
That fusing together armor makes you lose the ability to enchant both and require more str to wear but it gives an extra bit of defense to make up for it.
crow
Expert
Expert

Postby lyllamarie on Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:45 pm

I'll answer a few questions first and go over the rest later!

body plate

Description: Complete plate suit, including great helm, gauntlets, vambraces and greaves. See individual items for details.
Strength (STR) Required: 32
Defense Modifier: 13
Equipment Slots Used: 3
Number of Uses: 0 (0 = unlimited)
Allows Spellcasting? No
Weapon Class: D
Price: 1500.00 Mehrials

I am under the impression that plaite suite does not refer to a half plaite but I suspect something else, like a full plaite chasse. Will see if that is the truth or if it is not.

If not, then the idea would probably more in line with having everything 'fitted' (not fused) together providing better all-over protection as certain gaps become a bit harder to find. It would also answer your last question, as, while the item's are 'loose' when not worn together, they are sold as a package because they are fitted to make a cohesive suite, and made to be more seamless.

Yes each individual piece can be enchanted. It is 'somewhere' but I'm much too lazy to look for now. The +5 per item and +15 Max obviously still applies.

It is not my understanding that pieces can be swapped out for better, as its sold as an entire set and not mix and match.

You can use gambeson with it (which is not included in the 'package') That is about it, since the pieces the body plate come with already cover hands, arms, legs, torso and head.
The player of
lyllamarie
High Council
High Council

Postby Ehlanna on Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:31 pm

We will need to revisit that armour page and ensure that it is current and valid.

Hopefully we (the dev team/admins) can agree just what works together with what.

The Body Plate seems to have a total DEF higher than the component pieces because it is a suit of armour that is build around and specifically for the wearer. Thus all the parts act, hang and hinge together with exactitude and the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.
Ehlanna
High Council
High Council

Postby Miss Magical on Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:05 pm

Ehlanna wrote:The Body Plate seems to have a total DEF higher than the component pieces because it is a suit of armour that is build around and specifically for the wearer. Thus all the parts act, hang and hinge together with exactitude and the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

I would agree with this. If you buy armor designed to be worn together from the outset of crafting it, I would think things would just work better than buying them individually, where the excuse would be trying to get things that fit together. Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Products, or something like that :wink:
Never robust as a melody, only a broken chord to sing.
Miss Magical
Adept
Adept

Postby James Vodera on Sun May 08, 2011 12:02 am

I have a question concerning Shadow Weave and Robe of the Arch Magi. If worn together, what penalties are there concerning the armors def stats and the stat buffs that each piece gives? I've been told that I cannot absolutely no matter what wear both at the same time, yet I'm also told I could possibly wear both, get both armors stat buffs but only take the higher armor stat, which is fine with me. A ruling on this will be much appreciated.
James Vodera - Smartass thief and twisted mind
Talon` - Healer with a dark side
Remus Vodera - One armed ranger
Reyals - Wild catman
Barra d`Ssussun - Dark/High elf with an attitude
Kiba` - Darkness embodied
James Vodera
Novice
Novice

Postby Avarwraith on Sun May 08, 2011 12:17 am

Robe of the Arch Magi and Shadowweave cannot be worn at the same time.

They both fall under the TORSO armor. The only things that can be worn at the same time in that area is a Gambeson and whatever chest armor you choose (in this case either the RoAM OR the Shadowweave, not both).
Avarwraith
Predominate
Predominate

Postby Joshua_Jericho on Sun May 08, 2011 12:18 am

^ What she said.

http://belariath.com/info/armor.html

Yes, we know about the bit at the bottom of the Arms and Armour page that says Chest and Robes are different slots. They are not. The page above should be taken as the authority.

JJ
Since I can't figure out how to change display name...player of Catiline, Umber and Saphamira! Often around on IRC GMT evenings and weekends.
Joshua_Jericho
Expert
Expert

Postby James Vodera on Mon May 09, 2011 5:24 pm

So thats just a No, period under any circumstances can they both be worn?
James Vodera - Smartass thief and twisted mind
Talon` - Healer with a dark side
Remus Vodera - One armed ranger
Reyals - Wild catman
Barra d`Ssussun - Dark/High elf with an attitude
Kiba` - Darkness embodied
James Vodera
Novice
Novice

Postby lyllamarie on Mon May 09, 2011 5:41 pm

The Rule of Armor Redundancy Some armor items cannot be worn together; you can only wear one or the other. For instance, you can't wear two types of Helms at the same time (Unless your character has two heads, which I doubt! More so than Helms, this problem seems to be more common when it comes to Body/Torso type items. As a general rule, you can wear 1 item from each of the categories mentioned above for armor like Body/Torso, Arms/Hands, Head Gear, etc. So if your character had both a Leather Armor and a Mage Robe, only one would count in combat. You can own redundant items if you really want to drop the money. They just won't count together, only one will, whichever is stronger. There are some exceptions though, such as a Gambeson, which is a padding worn under body armor, to help the character avoid getting hurt by his own armor biting into his flesh. Another exception are vambraces and guantlets, as guantlets are considered full hand covering and vambraces the forearm. These types of items are usually found in a full body plaite as a good reference.
The player of
lyllamarie
High Council
High Council

Next

Return to Rules and Gameplay