Purchase Unranked skills for Mhl

Questions and suggestions about the rules of the roleplay and how things work

Moderators: L`aquera, Stormbringer, Ehlanna, lyllamarie

Purchase Unranked skills for Mhl

Postby RedRaven on Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:15 pm

If the unranked skills are simply for RP fluff and flavor, and have only a single slot in a similar manner to OOB Spells then I propose that they be purchasable in a similar manner to spell slots.
RedRaven
Initiate
Initiate

Re: Purchase Unranked skills for Mhl

Postby miyuka on Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:45 pm

that's not necessary. you gain one slot each time you level up and you start with 5.
miyuka

Postby RedRaven on Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:18 pm

And yet if you desire fluff background then you are at a disadvantage to someone who simply goes straight up Ranked skills. Perhaps it does not make a huge difference once you get above level 15 or 20, but at the lower levels it may make a difference.

By the same thought, depending on your level you get a/some spell slots at each level, to be used for what ever you need. What is the difference?
RedRaven
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Stormbringer on Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:43 am

It is assumed to take time to gain skills. So no, there is no difference because it is also assumed to take time to gain the magical power to increase your spell handling capacity. Therefore you appear to be arguing against yourself.
--------------
Charm’d magic casements, opening on the foam
Of perilous seas, in faery lands forlorn

(John Keats)
Check your baggage at the door and bring some magic through your
window onto the world of Belariath
Stormbringer
High Council
High Council

Postby RedRaven on Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:54 pm

I am not really arguing against myself, I do not believe. I am asking if it is possible to buy Spell slots, why is it not possible to buy unranked skill slots. Unranked skill slots add nothing but flavor and fluff, while spell slots potentially add more power.

You get 1 Spell Slot every level, but can buy more with Mhl. You get one Skill Slot every level but can not buy more with Mhl. I am merely attempting to figure out why this is
RedRaven
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Adonai on Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:15 pm

RedRaven wrote:I am not really arguing against myself, I do not believe. I am asking if it is possible to buy Spell slots, why is it not possible to buy unranked skill slots. Unranked skill slots add nothing but flavor and fluff, while spell slots potentially add more power.

You get 1 Spell Slot every level, but can buy more with Mhl. You get one Skill Slot every level but can not buy more with Mhl. I am merely attempting to figure out why this is

The thing that StormBringer is trying to put out there, I believe bud, is as with magic, it takes time to learn things, most of magic users don't buy absurd amount of spells, because i takes time to learn, heck i ought a lot of spells but i wont let ado know them all for a while >.>
Let the warriors clamor after gods of blood and thunder; love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides, and life and death alike follow in its wake.
Adonai
Expert
Expert

Postby Stormbringer on Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:49 am

Perhaps then your argument should be that a character shouldn't be allowed to buy spell slots, rather than the other way around. That would make more sense. But buying spells is the combat equivalent of a phys class buying better armor or weapons. So when a mage buys spell slots, these are for the combat spells area not the OOB spells area. OOB spell slots increase with levels, just as OOB skill slots do.
--------------
Charm’d magic casements, opening on the foam
Of perilous seas, in faery lands forlorn

(John Keats)
Check your baggage at the door and bring some magic through your
window onto the world of Belariath
Stormbringer
High Council
High Council

Postby miyuka on Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:34 pm

to add more to it. When a player goes to the SS and buys a magic scroll, they (more than likely off camera so to speak) sit and read and learn it. Once you learn how to cast a spell, that's it The knowledge is there in your brain housing group and the scroll is now blank.

Now apply that scenario to a skill. You don't just buy a 'scouting for dummies' guide and poof the knowledge is imparted in your brain. You slowly but surely learn it and each level, if you so choose, you can add a point to it.

Mechanically speaking. You don't gain spell slots for free every level. You have to use level up points in order to get them. We -could- make it that you could buy skill points, but it is not a change that is very necessary, as I said in my first post.
miyuka

Return to Rules and Gameplay