Hunters, Woodcutters, Skinners, Tanners etc.

Questions and suggestions about the rules of the roleplay and how things work

Moderators: L`aquera, Stormbringer, Ehlanna, lyllamarie

Hunters, Woodcutters, Skinners, Tanners etc.

Postby Joytoy on Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:06 am

So, not all characters are really suited for working in a store.

I was curious about the concept involving these 'laymen' style jobs. While I know there is a class that covers this 'type' not everyone wants to take that class. However, having a skill/job/trade is beneficial to players as well as the economy and activity of role-play in Nanthalion.

I was uncertain however, how one would go about this process?
I've played some simple gaming systems, and so long ago I cannot remember, I had helped in the development of a simple system of 3 - 10die system.

So bear with me on this... Would it be viable to have a character at least spend some time hunting, skinning, chopping wood, etc... for role-play affect (and making themselves available for new role-play by actively working) - and then to have a die roll to indicate the 'quality' and 'quantity' of work accomplished from their RP?

After all, I would play a weaver, but I know jack about actually weaving, dying fabric and sewing. However, I can rp to the best of my knowledge, and still 'produce' a viable material for trade.

Then, with the die roll indicating the quality + quantity, the player then can trade for mehrials their materials to the local shops - Weavers to the Naked Bird, Hunters/skinners/tanners/miners to the General Store/Might Makes Right, Gold/silversmiths/lapidaries to the General Store/MMR/BA, Herbal/Gathering - Apothecary

Therefor not needing to 'work' as an employee of a shop, but still working and providing something to the game to establish a sense of community and involvement.

Now, I'm still a little foggy on how the 'skills' you take at level work entirely, but I would imagine you could use a formula such as Character Level + the skill level = die roll amount.

Now, admittedly, this is where it gets a little gooey - there is no level cap, however there are 'skill' caps aka Chymaera is a Master Body Artist (I'm not sure if this has changed). So that took 5 levels to acquire. So how do you decide what is actually a masterful success, a mediocre success, or a waste that needs to be thrown away?

As a general base, there is a difficulty modifier. (Disclaimer, I'm using a die system I'm familiar with as an example, not as a literal expectation of change) Such as the following:

Chymaera is Level 8 - Her Tattoo Skill Level is 5. Difficulty Modifier starts at 9 and is subtracted by -1 for each level you have in the skill/trade you are performing. 9 - 5 = 4

Out of the 8 - 10 sided die, she rolls 6 successes aka 4 or greater.

**Success can be decided by the number of successes.

More than half the die pool in successes = Masterful Quality Material/Work

Exactly Half (rounded up for odd numbers) = Moderate Quality Material/Work

Less than Half = Poor Quality Material/Work

Now all this can be logged and saved as rolls are performed in OOC by Desdaemona. An extra security.
Each Quality Level can be given a 'mehrial' amount indicitive of the materials. Obviously hides will be worth something different than gold, iron or gem stones.

Also, this allows players to work between each other. You're a hunter and a tanner, but not a leatherworker. Well, you can trade your goods to another leatherworker (based on quality of materials) and he can then create quality materials.

The Quality of the materials can give the Leatherworker, Lapidary, Gold/silver/blacksmith a modifier bonus to creating their item (obviously if they are using Pristine Quality materials, their work has a higher chance of being more well made and hence being more valuable to the general public. (Though if you're a starting blacksmith, I'd advise using poor quality items to practice till you're better >_> hehe)

Anyways, Imperfect idea, but an idea. Any thoughts?
Beating, whipping, piercing, breaking, scarring, kissing, biting, licking, fucking, bleeding, aching, waiting, stroking, begging, longing, craving...
Joytoy
Initiate
Initiate

Re: Hunters, Woodcutters, Skinners, Tanners etc.

Postby miyuka on Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:57 am

pretty sure things like this would just fall under one of the shops or count as freelance work which would still go towards a shop or Noble house. You...could roll and let that determine how you RP, like I've seen people do some dice rolling for hunting once or twice but no real system in place.
miyuka

Postby Joytoy on Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:49 am

miyuka wrote:You...could roll and let that determine how you RP, like I've seen people do some dice rolling for hunting once or twice but no real system in place.

Well, a roll I feel would be rather pointless if it doesn't actually have an affect on something specific. To a degree, would the roll not simply become excessive if it doesn't have an objective?

miyuka wrote:...count as freelance work which would still go towards a shop or Noble House.

This intrigues me, as I have seen "Freelance Master Body Artist" on a forum work log, and found myself confused. What does Freelance mean persay and what are the limitations?

If Freelance, are you not then the equivalent of -self-employed- and then, if so, how do you quantify your income?

Are you considered an employee if the work you do goes toward a shop, and again, how is the quantity of goods, quality of goods and payment of the individual providing said goods verified and maintained?

If you are an employee at a shop, are you required to work the counter? Or are you simply given a static wage for the 'goods' you are suppose to provide and a work log?

I'm only asking to confirm, because I've been gone from the game for quite a while and I want to be clear as well as offer any input and/or work into such things if it would be desirable or of interest.
Beating, whipping, piercing, breaking, scarring, kissing, biting, licking, fucking, bleeding, aching, waiting, stroking, begging, longing, craving...
Joytoy
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Twerlinger on Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:53 am

Can't speak for other places beyond the Apothecary on this one. I, and previous Apoth and CoH managers have always employed 'freelance' herb gatherers as a means of getting pc's to cover some of the stockage required for the shop. I have always paid at most 20 mhl per hour, which was equivilant to any other shop workers pay at the time, but being freelance meant that if you couldn't get in the hours for the week/month or whatever, then you weren't given the boot at the end of the month, because you weren't on a salary, you were just paid whenever you brought product to the store.

The main variance I used to do with the pay, was depending upon what had been sold in the previous month, if we'd sold a lot of comfrey, then that would get a higher price then if we hadn't used any of it at all, allowing for a little supply and demand, although most people just picked 'generic' herbs from the forest, or harvested them from their own gardens (Or other peoples with ooc consent in order to foster more rp)

As for employee duties, once again I can't speak beyond the two stores I manage (Apoth and REB), but there could be various positions in either stores, depending upon the skills/abilities of the character in question. ICly Twerl would prefer people to be willing to learn the skills needed in order to staff the counter, and if applicable do other jobs within the stores, but.. for some characters some of those options isn't possible (due to class and skill limitations) in that case, other positions might be available, gardener, harvester, sales dummy or whatever might come along.
Twerlinger

Postby miyuka on Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:42 pm

What you do at a shop I'd imagine would be up to the managers, but if it's a shop that requires you to deal with customers at some point I'm quite sure you'd have to work the counter when someone came in and you were the only one at the shop. The freelance thing was originally put in place (and correct me if I'm wrong here) so people could craft their own stuff either for themselves or for others, such as jewlery, or I think even weapons at some point. There's a whole formula for it here: http://belariath.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=82&t=9406

So when I said freelance earlier that probably wasn't the best word to use since my example you'd technically still be working for a shop but as Twerlinger pointed out it's the kind of thing that would require weekly input at the time. Of course, now with the new pay system in place it's pretty much like that for any job. You make your own hours and are paid accordingly. So, yes, you can be a hunter, woodcutter, skinner tanner, etc, and just have that be your job description at a shop. You'd have to talk with each individual shop manager to see just what all you can be. So you aren't working in the store, you're just working for the store. Instead of selling to customers your work would just be you gathering the materials, tanning the leather, or hunting the animals.

I mentioned dice rolling because you seemed to have had a system of some kind worked out in your head and I figured you'd like it incorporated into the RP. I was trying to inform you that you in fact can do that. Now as far as trading to the shops well yer on the payroll so quality wouldn't really affect your pay in that regards, but if you are going the route of truely freelance and trying to sell the items yourself then the quality would affect your pay, but again, that's something you'd have to deal with between the individual player/nobles since that would be money coming out of their pockets.
miyuka

Postby Joytoy on Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:55 am

Thank you very much Miyuka & Twerlinger.

Between the both of you, you answered my questions. Made me think of others as well hehe. But that works, I appreciate it immensely! Thank you for taking the time to read and respond. <3
Joytoy
Initiate
Initiate

Return to Rules and Gameplay