OOC Brackets in IC channels

Questions and suggestions about the rules of the roleplay and how things work

Moderators: L`aquera, Stormbringer, Ehlanna, lyllamarie

OOC Brackets in IC channels

Postby Kodie_Kovak on Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:03 pm

This may at first seem like a rant at first, but it's not.

So, I was roleplaying in the inn one day, when Amber, a new member to TLI was having a little trouble in TLI regarding the slave registering system and inn paying system. The following OOC took place in the IC:
(Just roleplay it, Amber, most of the time it's only tips that people worry about in regards to payment in the Inn. But if you're owned, you do need to have your mistress's tag so that it's displayed.)
[22:34] <Sorgram> [17:01] <+Amber`> ((ummm okay then? I'm unsure if she has the collar yet IC but I can wear the tag
[22:34] <Sorgram> [17:02] <+Kir^Trelander> (Er. If it was approved on the boards, then you're owned. If you don't know what I'm talking about, you're not 'owned' officially, and need no tag)
[22:34] <Sorgram> [17:02] <+Amber`> ((kk she's going to own her though :) ))
[22:34] <Sorgram> [17:02] <+Kodie_Kovak{Tra}> (She isn;t registered and such yet x3)
As you can see, it lasted just about a minute.
Now, I'm not sure who else did, but I got a Private Message from and op, stating I should keep 'private' conversations out of the IC channels.
Being that I play multiple RP's on IRC, using brackets for a short amount of time has never been an issue before, and so when I got this message I was very confused.
At first I thought maybe he got me mixed up with someone else, or that maybe he was talking about something the OOC channel regarding a conversation around steam.
But no, he was talking about the small OOC brackets I posted at the end. At which point, as one would imagine I pulled the biggest 'wtf' face ever.
Now, I didn't even know it was a rule, but what annoyed me the most was how counter productive this was. Instead of doing this, I had two other options.
Firstly, I PM the five or so people I was with with the message. Big pain in the ass.
Secondly, I could post it in the OOC, where since people are rping and some might not be in the OOC channel, it wouldn't get noticed.
While it was true I lost my rag a bit, and PM'd something I certainly shouldn't have, considering the amount of rules (Such as pretty much most of the rules regarding how the OOC channel is used) It is easy to see how -why- I could get annoyed for something so minor.
So, I post this in hopes some people will approve of the short use of OOC brackets. At the end of the day, PM's are a pain in the ass, and getting people to pay attention to the OOC can also be sometimes an even bigger pain in the ass.
I also hope some would approve of an assessment of the rules and such. As a lot of them are just, well, simply ignored. They serve no purpose for being there and are just confusing really, particularly for new players.
So anyhow, hope people take these points into consideration, and I apologize to any OP's whose time was wasted on such a minor, and pathetic thing as this.
Kodie_Kovak
Novice
Novice

Re: OOC Brackets in IC channels

Postby miyuka on Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:32 pm

I'm confused on what exactly it is you are suggesting. Or asking about.
miyuka

Postby Ehlanna on Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:53 am

So far as I can see it was an IC issue treated as an OOC issue in an IC channel ...
The collar or lack thereof could be divined from the nick and if it needed to be ICly clarified could be done in an IC fashion. If it was an uncertainty on someone's behalf over a rule then a PM or use of the OOC room would have been the best way to go.
Ehlanna
High Council
High Council

Postby Farvel on Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:01 am

My understanding of the rules is that the OOC brackets are for small, quick phrases (3-4 words' length) that should be used very sparingly - something like (casts xxx) or similar, not for holding conversations like the one you've quoted.

It is also my understanding that if you're roleplaying in any TLI channel, you have to be logged into the OOC room. And that the kind of conversation you quoted is precisely what the OOC room is supposed to be for, not just for people to have unending discussions about their favourite movie (which is why there is something called "The Lounge".)

Something like what you've described should not happen, otherwise you're basically gaining XP for having OOC conversation in IC channels, which is exploiting the system. IC channels are for IC roleplay, OOC channels are for OOC discussion, and we have an OOC channel for a reason.

That's my view on it, but someone more experienced will probably clear it up.
Farvel
Predominate
Predominate

Postby Tawny on Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:44 am

Very much agreeing here that OOC dicussions, even small comments, should be kept to either PMs or the OOC room. They have no place in the IC channels.
Tawny

Postby Kooky on Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:57 am

On this topic, just clarifying.. but is this not allowed? It was always my understanding that a (( BRB )) or (Bye!) was okay, just no conversations/discussions/clarifications as that interrupts RP and should be kept to PM. I wasn't aware the rule was so strict, and apologize if so.

1[17:39] <+Treydillyan> 0601"You just broke Imperial Property."06 He commented, not looking at her as the glass shattered. Trey didn't care for her accusations. As it was, he was a bum. Treydillyan smirked, 01"Also lass, drinks and food are free here for those who pay for a room.. so insinuating Kodie here is a thief for having ale.. well.. we now know you view the world as thieves. Kodie, being a slave for so 05{Cut}
01[17:39] <+Treydillyan> 05{Continued}01 long now, you should have a grasp of the basics.."
[17:41] <+Julia_Wilshire> ((I need to go now, guys, have a nice day! It was fun to rp with you!))
01[17:42] <+Treydillyan> ((1 Take care! ))
[17:42] <+Kodie_Kovak{Tra}> (See ya ^^)
02[17:43] * +Kir^Trelander (creamnwhea@c936b977.static.sdyl005.ddc630f7.net.hmsk) Quit (Ping timeout: 250 seconds)
03[17:45] * +Julia_Wilshire (webchat@395b9eee.dynamic.9c4b4b14.de.hmsk) has left #The_Lonely_Inn
Dev Team Member | Manager of the Bazaar (Lumio) | Assistant Manager of the Arena (Lumio) | Assistant Manager of the General Store (Spotzen Strype) | Manager of Chocolates 2 Cherish (Calvan) | Assistant Manager of the Siren's Call (Sammy)

Most known characters - Lumio, Misk, Rumplelynx, Moxie Fink, and Icki
Kooky
Predominate
Predominate

Postby Tehya on Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:17 pm

I have played here for 14 years, 13 as this character, its always been acceptable for a brb, or nini= meaning goodnight or Pause for Smith and Jones (example character names). Sometime a short ooc remark with brackets has been accepted. What I don't understand is why we are discussing it when there are two obvious rooms to use for OOC.

Just relax, use OOC and have fun.
Tehya

Postby miyuka on Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:21 pm

Farvel summed it up nicely. Having an entire OOC conversation in the IC channel is the problem. Stating things in brackets that should be stated ICly is a problem.
miyuka

Postby L`aquera on Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:33 am

While this is all well and good and explained thoroughly, don't talk to my ops with attitude again or you'll find my boot up your ass...

Aren't I pleasant? :D
Don't breath, don't think.. for I am the shadow that will forever over take you..
L`aquera
High Council
High Council

Postby Ehlanna on Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:42 am

L`aquera wrote:While this is all well and good and explained thoroughly, don't talk to my ops with attitude again or you'll find my boot up your ass...

Aren't I pleasant? :D

Pssst! You forgot the OOC brackets ... ;)
Ehlanna
High Council
High Council

Postby Adonai on Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:12 pm

lol ehl
Let the warriors clamor after gods of blood and thunder; love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides, and life and death alike follow in its wake.
Adonai
Expert
Expert

Postby L`aquera on Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:11 pm

(I'm going to spank you, Ehl) :D
Don't breath, don't think.. for I am the shadow that will forever over take you..
L`aquera
High Council
High Council

Postby Sorgram on Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:57 pm

(now that i would pay to see.. should we start a kickstarter to fly Ehl and L to one location and me there with a camera?)
Sorgram
Op
Op

Return to Rules and Gameplay