Where did your character go? WHO ate it!?!

News from the admin relating to developments in the roleplay, changes to the web site, etc

Moderators: Stormbringer, Ehlanna

Where did your character go? WHO ate it!?!

Postby L`aquera on Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:55 pm

OH MY GOD! ZOMBIE ATTACK! They ate your character!!!! BBQOMAHG!

Ok, moment of hilarity over.

On a serious note. We have at times been asked "Where did my character go? Its not coming up! I can't find it!"

There are only a very few reasons for this.

A: You were naughty and we spanked you. If that happens, you would be notified of us telling you, we deleted your character deliberately. By the way, this is not common place. Its in the Rare Rare Rare section. You would have had to be very very naughty to have this happen.

B: You created a character and didn't role play with it but once or never. And within I believe its a month to two, maybe more, maybe less, Ehlanna will be able to tell me the exact time, the System will clear it out as unusable and empty space and delete it.

We have no control over this I'm afraid. We cannot retrieve your character. Its always a sad fact to relay, its not that we as Ops could care less, its just that, we cannot actually help you. Once its gone. Its gone. So, here are a few helpful things you can do to prevent this.

When you create a new character. Play it, as fast as you can. Do so for at least a week even if its sporadic to gain its base of XP so that the cleaner doesn't think its junk laying about to be eaten away.

Take what info you have of your character and put it to a word file so that if the above 'does' happen to you, you have all the information that you created, your work, saved and can create again.

There is nothing set up, nor will there ever be set up, for us to check and see when its about to be deleted. This is up to you to play what characters you make. As adults, I'm sure all understand this. Again, its not because we don't care that it was lost, if it was lost, its just that we, after it is deleted, can do nothing about but suggest you create it again and we will approve it.
Don't breath, don't think.. for I am the shadow that will forever over take you..
L`aquera
High Council
High Council

Re: Where did your character go? WHO ate it!?!

Postby Ehlanna on Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:43 pm

There are two housekeeping 'checkpoints' at which time a character can be deleted automatically, both based on the time of character creation:

a) After 1 month and NO experience gained
b) after 6 months and less than around 20% of the experience needed to level up gained
Ehlanna
High Council
High Council

Postby Stormbringer on Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:47 pm

So technically speaking, if you character hasn't been used enough to gain significant exp, and has been inactive for a very long time, we assume you don't plan to use it again and the database makes it into a burger.

This not only keeps down the size of the database, to make it faster for everyone else. It also frees up character names which arriving players may wish to use.
--------------
Charm’d magic casements, opening on the foam
Of perilous seas, in faery lands forlorn

(John Keats)
Check your baggage at the door and bring some magic through your
window onto the world of Belariath
Stormbringer
High Council
High Council

Postby Daemon on Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:13 pm

Speaking of experience, how exactly do characters gain experience here? Is it just from quests (aka monster/player killing) or can it be gained from working at a shop & having sex with barmaids as well?
Castiel #thelounge
Daemon
Novice
Novice

Postby Ehlanna on Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:48 pm

Daemon wrote:Speaking of experience, how exactly do characters gain experience here? Is it just from quests (aka monster/player killing) or can it be gained from working at a shop & having sex with barmaids as well?

In general it is any and all RP in IC channels with a Desdaemona presence that will gain you xp.
Ehlanna
High Council
High Council

Return to News From The Admin