The OOC Room

News from the admin relating to developments in the roleplay, changes to the web site, etc

Moderators: Stormbringer, Ehlanna

Re: The OOC Room

Postby Tawny on Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:46 am

Wow, I logged today and there was a OOC room, I left and come back and its closed. I cant say i am completely surprized that something happened tho closing the OOC room completely I really didnt see coming. I have been on MIRC for about 12 years and I have seen games both with small and Large player bases do the same thing as has been done here and it didnt take 30 days till there was no game for the OOC room to be opened back up for, and I personally have put many years into this game over 10 years and I dont wish to see that happen here at all. Through all the Drama and arguing and fussing what stands out to me is that when someone really needs family or close friends for what ever reason they could come to the OOC and find them. Yes I say family because reguardless of the problems this group of people, for the most part, are a family. We share good times and heartaches and we depend on one another when we need a shoulder to cry on or someone to share wonderfully good news with.
I understand the Stress of being an OP. I have been an OP in other games. I understand the want to scream and just well sometimes slap someone. I know what L is talking about when she speaks of the Jaws. And I relate to the need to do something before you as an OP quits. But closing the OOC and telling the player you dont care isnt the answer. Cause if you didnt care you wouldnt be under the stress you are as OPs. More than likely the fact is you care too much.
I kinda seen this coming when the OOC rules were basicly taken away. Without rules chaos reins. So I am going to make afew suggestions and hope that somehow maybe this game and the family of player and Ops can survive.
I am not going to number things but here goes. The Ops need to take back control of the OOC. Dont just warn and warn and warn. Warn once and then hand out a one hour ban and not just from the ooc but from the game period. If that dont work give them 24 out of game then maybe try a week out of game. If that dont correct a problem most likely its not worth trying anymore and its not worth the stress and headache to the OPs, just perm ban them. Dont have your PM open for problems if you are an OP. And if someone PMs without permission just tell them you wont listen to it and close the PM box. Yes I know this sounds like I am saying if your an OP you need to be abit of a hardass but it would save your sanity and in the long run safe this game.
In the OOC room rules need to be sit and enforced. Stop all sexual content in the OOC room it has no place there. Stop the linking of pictures that are adult content the OOC room is not a place for that. If you have a arguement with another take it out of the OOC room and know if you dont the OPs will kick you then ban you if you keep it up. In simply terms act like adults or know the OPs will remove you and if needed they will remove for good. The OPs are not here to win a popularity contest they are here to enforce rules and make sure this game is kept going and this family of players dont have to lose what many of us have spend years helping to build. And that includes the OPs, as I have seen some that behave in a not so good manner thems elfs sometimes.
yes I believe closing the OOC room is a mistake and I think its a mistake that alot of small mistakes have lead up too by player and OPs alike. The OOC is vital to this game. Players you need to understand that OPs are here to enforce rules even when you dont like them. And Ops you need to realize that being an OP sometimes makes you the bad guy but you must keep the game alive. The OOC needs rules and players and Ops alike need to abide by and understand those rules and if they are broken the players need to know they will be removed and the OPs need to stop warning so much and simply remove the offending player or players according to the rules.
Ops I know where you are at. I have been there and I voted to close an OOC room and saw the death of that game. Please I ask you to reconsider and not make the same mistake as the group of OPs in a game long ago did. If being an Ops is too stressful take a break. If being an OP has somehow become a popuality contest to you and you dont want to enforce the rules then maybe you should reconsider being an Op.
Players Stop the arguing and the sniping and fussing and looks at what you have here. Dont hate the Ops for enforcing the rules because without the rules and the OPs to enforce them you will have no game and no family of players anymore.
Do any of us really want this game to die? Do any of us really want to lose the family and friends this game gives us? I know I dont. So please all of you... stop and think. before its too late.

I love ya All

Tawny
Tawny

Postby Dmitri Goldenleaf on Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:01 am

I'll preface this by saying I personally have no vested interest in this either way. I show up in TLI maybe for a week at a time every six months or something like that.

Now, that said...

As a moderator on a forum elsewhere on the other Internet, an administrator in another stripe of fantasy, and as a former channel owner of one of the largest RP channels of its type on another network, I have substantial experience in dealing with online-based drama from the vantage point of leadership positions.

My basic philosophy of enforcement is this:

1. If you have drama with someone, do not complain to me about it. Either work it out with them or simply ignore them.

2. If you do complain to me about drama, I will refer you to rule #1.

3. If you ignore me following #2, or if a neutral someone else complains that drama being caused by other people is having a negative impact on the community, and you're one of them, I will refer you to #1 again and add that if you do not follow it, I will remove you.

4. Still didn't listen? Well there's your third strike and you're gone.

It works quite well. People know not to bother me with petty BS and things work out one way or the other on their own. Almost no stress for me, and much less drama overall in every realm I've worked in.

As others have noted, closing down the OOC room doesn't magically get rid of the drama. It merely diverts it into other streams and furthermore, now you've got the drama of people bitching about the OOC area being closed.

I suggest the Ops either get a thicker skin, try adopting my rules, or resign. Those are pretty much the best options.
Dmitri Goldenleaf
Novice
Novice

Postby Almondus on Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:09 am

Not going to mix words..

This is dumb.

Like on a scale of 1 to 10 on stupid... this is purple...

This kind of logic is the very same as " well why don't we just outlaw crime then there'd be no criminals..."

The stat about 95% of drama comes from ooc was completely pulled out of someone's ass.

Things have gotten to be too much work RPing here.. I'm.. taking a break for a bit. GL to all with your rps.. I'll still check my messages from time to time... and.. I hope that people learn that players are people too. Have to take the good and the bad with that.

Peace out homeslices. Remember when RP was about just having fun?
Almondus
Predominate
Predominate

Postby Kree on Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:27 am

Here is my two sense:

There has been soooooooo many attempts by ops and others to stop t he ooc drama, to null it down where its not the BASIS of everything. From people whining and crying no one wants to play with them, to fighting over the stupidest shit -ever-.. From things said the wrong way, taken out of context and such of the sort that I am wholly not suprised this has happened.. This reminds me of when I was a child. I was warned over and over not to do something, and kept doing it and kept doing it.. Till finally, what did my parents do? They cleaned my room, left me my bed and ONE book for TWO weeks... Did this everytime I did something wrong till I learned when to keep my mouth shut, and when to open it, what to do and what not to do. Well guess what? Suprise! We have failed as players to uphold a respectful, ADULT community. Maybe not all of us, but yes, most of us.. Maybe this will open everyones eyes and shut everyones mouth..

I do agree Ops need a firmer hand in situations.. No patting on the haed, telling to play nice, and releasing them back to the wild..

Now! Onto the downside of this all.. I know, as a player, I cannot remember everyones jobs, thier titiles and when and where they will be on.. SHops will suffer from this.. I'm not going to spend time checking the town channel every 20 minutes hoping for the General Store or the Body Arts shop, or ANY shop to be open.. I'm not going to tinker about and wait on this, I merely won't spend my coin, and play as I can.. But, perhaps this wont be an issue long, maybe we will learn and it will bring the OOC room, and its old RULES back to play. :)

*Hides*
TBA
Kree
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Belson on Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:45 am

I really do not see this action as helping anything. Though there is a ton of finger pointing going around from ops pointing fingers at players to players pointing fingers at ops. When there are problems taking this kind of action does nothing but escalate things and I will tell you now that some of the Ops at part of this problem. I fully expect to be banned for my opinion but this is a horrible move for the future of the game.

Some people here who want to point fingers at everyone else they might want to take a look at themselves as well as they might be part of the problem.
Belson
Adept
Adept

Postby Shayola101 on Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:05 am

Yeah i'm not seeing how this is gonna work to help anything.

I'll be honest i've be on the wrong end of arguments on other RP OOC rooms and been banned for an undefined period of time. and look what it's done. for the most part I try to not start or get involved in arguments as I know what could happen to me and I have even in TLI been kick for a few hours for doing something wrong.

I Also realise because of this move most, if not all, of my characters might end up getting purged because I don't always have time to be ducking in and out of IC rooms just to see if there is anyone on I wanna RP with. and those times I do have time to RP I'm not always so lucky in that as I'm in a completely different Timezone to most. so most of the time when I do have time to RP either Everyone is already in an RP with someone or finishing up for the night (with is daytime for me)

I Guess this move can go 2 ways both not good

1- it kills TLI outright
or
2- it seriously cripples the community developed here cause not everyone is gonna have time to continually go in and out of IC rooms just to try to find someone to play..... Oh wait i know this isn't a problem for OP's who can legally be in Multiple IC rooms at once but for us Non-OP's it's just too much work for something that spose to be fun.

N.B: Anyone i tend to regularly chat with, and you know who you are, just hit me up Via PM here and I'll link you to my Facebook so we can still Chat.

/me raise glass
"Here's to hoping this move doesn't kill TLI as I'd hate to leave you all"
I Also play Paul, Anarielle, Sammy & Gwendolyn
Shayola101
Novice
Novice

Postby Infernis on Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:37 am

Bear in mind, this is my own personal opinion and it should be taken as such.

One, I think you 'all' have an over developed sense of how 'vulnerable' this game is. I think you underestimate the community and I think you overestimate the importance of the OOC channel.

I think you've all come to rely too heavily on that channel. Turned it into a hang-out spot for goofing off and blathering for hours and doing exactly Zero RP the entire time. And you call it 'community spirit'.

No, it's called 'not doing what you're supposed to be here to do'. It's called Romper Room behavior.

For those who can't actually get in to play, because of work...My apologies. Be glad that you can actually be Online while at work. A lot of us can't.

For those of you who can't find RP without arranging it. Well, I'm sorry, but there's really only one way to do it. Get out there and do it.

Too many times, I've come online in the last few weeks and seen 30+ people in the OOC and less than SIX people actually RPing, and two of them would be OPs. That's horrible, that's ridiculous and it's not how things are supposed to be.

So, I'm glad to see this. Let it be known that I rejoice at the vacation of the OOC and I do hope that it 'stays' gone.

If you think the game is so fragile as to disappear without an OOC, I think you're vastly mistaken. The community, the true community, will survive and grow from this. And maybe, just maybe, we'll spend more time RPing and less time gossiping about RL and treating this game like a fucking pick up joint for RL romances.
Infernis
Predominate
Predominate

Postby Vladimir on Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:57 am

Good lawd, what a drag.
Full fathom five thy father lies; of his bones are coral made; Those are pearls that were his eyes: Nothing of him that doth fade, but doth suffer a sea- change into something rich and strange. Sea-Nymphs hourly ring his knell: Ding-dong, Hark! Now I hear them, - Ding-dong, Bell.
Vladimir
Predominate
Predominate

Postby Keegan on Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:32 am

I like the ooc and hope it comes back soon. I enjoy seeing who is on and planing out some rp with them and chatting with some of the people there to see what is going on as of late. Also makes it a lot easyer to find a shop open as well.

for me I hope that this doesn't become permaniet. I can under stand why it was done as well.
Keegan
Adept
Adept

Postby Adonai on Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:33 am

Again for the jobs, check my guide has a link to all of them: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=13330#
Let the warriors clamor after gods of blood and thunder; love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides, and life and death alike follow in its wake.
Adonai
Expert
Expert

Postby Adonai on Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:42 am

While I do agree at some points that far toooooo many people lurk in OOC, i am guilty but i have literally had little to no desire to rp because of my mom and my job keeping me slammed, but even then I still try to get rp going; the downside though is a few points as i have said i will re point them out.

1) Most people only goto the forums to post their work logs, most don't even check other things, so unless say they are in the inn, a new world event? No one will notice. unless others tell them. Hence 1 point goes to why the OOC is SO critical.

2) There are so many job workers, but most have a life or rp as well so you just hope you can get them, but hey if you can't? Your just screwed, the best thing i can give you is lurk in the three main OOC rooms made atm and hope some one works a job there. Or plan B goto my guide ( viewtopic.php?f=28&t=13330# ) and check each employee list. Again, a 1 point for OOC. Not all of us have time to lurk in town and pray some one comes on.
3) I am using my guild as an example for this one, we all use Team speak (or in tli OOC) to show we have many members and to perhaps get new ones. But if Teamspeak or in our case OOC is empty, the person will come in and go, 'What the hell, I thought this was a busy place, screw this.' and just leave. A lot of people do get that impatient in life. So Again, another point in OOC
4) Drama... stupid fucking drama, we are all ADULTS above the age if 18, I admit I have done a few stupid things, but luckily I have it down to just stupid man things. (like not understanding female logic) lol. But seriously, I think the ops should just have a 1 2 3 count, basically drop it, or ban for an hour. People are immature at the core most of us just hide it much better than others, Seriously if you do not like this grow the hell up and it won't happen again. You don't like some one? DO NOT TALK TO THEM! It is that damn simple.
Let the warriors clamor after gods of blood and thunder; love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides, and life and death alike follow in its wake.
Adonai
Expert
Expert

Postby Isla on Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:43 am

Adonai -
Information

The requested topic does not exist.

That is what you get when you click on your link.. as for this ooc shut down.. my momma said if you can't say something nice.. dont say nothing at all soooo thats exactly what I'm gonna do..
Isla
Expert
Expert

Postby Adonai on Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:49 am

Yeah dear i just noticed it and i am pissed.
Adonai
Expert
Expert

Postby Chrystine Moonspell on Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:04 am

Yes Infernis that is all fine and dandy but you had a choice, you did not like it in there? You did not have to be there. You could leave. Basically your point of view is now being forced on all of us. Yes yes, we all know tli is not a democracy.

So yes, now YOU won. The rest of us didn't. Enjoy it.
Oh stripped down to my naked core
The darkest corners of my mind are yours
That's where you live
That's where you breathe
Chrystine Moonspell
Initiate
Initiate

Postby One on Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:52 am

sad.
put me on notifies, please, i'll do the same.
break the lock if it don't fit.
Winn d'Aviaa - Lene - Damascus - Octavia - siti{Carth} - Heron{Kir} - qiome|Rue| - Eleonora{LI} - Eala
One
Initiate
Initiate

PreviousNext

Return to News From The Admin