Isn't Advise Great!?

News from the admin relating to developments in the roleplay, changes to the web site, etc

Moderators: Stormbringer, Ehlanna

Isn't Advise Great!?

Postby L`aquera on Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:08 pm

You are all grown adults, sure we slip into that fantasy world of make believe and now and again, the drama draws us in. Adults or not, we've all been there, said that, done it, had it, grieved over it! And sometimes, punched an inanimate object, over it. (at least I hope it was inanimate!)

However... There is a fine line that despite what you might like to do, you shouldn't walk the path. Or you will aggravate the living hell out of me. So, just in case you missed all those times I've stated them (ha ha!) I'm going to state them again, since we have a lovely new Year coming up and all, lets remind ourselves how to conduct ourselves.

Asking for Advise: We all do it! Of course we do. Don't be silly. We get very close to our fellow players because we talk to them on a daily basis and we start trusting the person on the other end of the world or state or state away, with our problems, our secrets, our lives. And, there is nothing wrong with this! Not a damned thing, as long as you don't go overboard! Mistakes happen, are made and will always be made, thats life, its not just in this community. But..... If you ask for advise and get a not so stellar reaction from the person you are asking, and hear something negative about another? Do NOT run to the other person and immediately feel the need to SAY SOMETHING! That.. is stirring the pot. You are simply causing issues. Stop. Drop. Think.

If you don't like what is being said, immediately pull from the conversation and just say.. "I was just looking for advise, not a run down of what you think they are like. I thought that was super negative, not that I don't appreciate your thoughts and I know I asked but, I'd rather not go that deep down the rabbit hole. No offense!

Do not, run to said person and say "Hey I was just minding my own fuckin business and Charlie said your an asshole. I don't know why! It was really rude!"

Guess what happens in those situations? Now Bob is mad at Charlie. Charlie feels like an ass, Bob is steaming, Ops Thing 1 and Thing 2 are steamed and the only one with a big grin on their face that shouldn't have one, is you.

But wait, why shouldn't you?!?! I know this may sound confusing, but lets break it down. Maybe you didn't stand up for your friend that just got trashed in a pm and maybe, thats not what you were expecting. But you have choices in that moment to follow. A: Don't say anything, absorb the advice if you like or don't but kindly nudge them and say, that wasn't right, I don't think they are like that at all.. but thanks! B: Nod and smile and pretend its all ok, but remember NOT to go to said person again, for advise. Ever. Now you know.

So alright, you got advise, but you ASKED for it. They didn't come out of the blue with a string of how do you do for some unknown reason. Most humans, don't do that. And if they do? You can bet they are just frustrated and need a venting into an ear they think, will be there for them. That doesn't mean take that gossip and run and tell the next person. They are trusting YOU with that information. So if you take your ball and run with it and embellish upon said subject, its stirring the pot of drama that doesn't need drama in a channel that gets plenty in RP.

And.. in the end.. you'll tick the Ops off. Oh yes. If we have to go about putting your fires out, we aren't going to be thrilled. My nick on here is L`.. not Clean up in Aisle 5!

Does this mean you should NEVER speak on some things? Certainly not. There are situations that CALL for you to tell someone. Always. But that, isn't one of them.
Don't breath, don't think.. for I am the shadow that will forever over take you..
L`aquera
High Council
High Council

Re: Isn't Advise Great!?

Postby Cangelosi on Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:14 pm

So questions about your recent bout of lycanthropy is out of the question, L? Fair enough.

Just to help add some insight to this problem. There's only one Bot on channel, and that is Desdaemona. The other Ops and players are human. Humans, by nature, have real life needs, worries, and ambitions, like you. Sure it's okay to gripe about your life, and there are a few people who are more than glad to hear you out and offer support, advice, hugs, or all three. Needless to say, it is probably wiser to make sure the problems you have in real life do not get in the way of the character you play. If it becomes too much of a problem, it may become necessary to take a break, square life away, and then come back to TLI when it feels like things are squared away. The channel's been here for thirteen years. I'm sure it'll be there when you get back.

There have been some times when Ops had been forced to ban players with histories of "too much RL hassle". This is not meant to be a sign that we all need to be well adjusted, it just means that we should not let our RL drama start to seep into the roleplay and make everyone feel...well...awkward. This isn't a text adventure. This is multiplayer.
-post presented by the actual mun of characters Morgan Drakewing and Arnoch Bretail-
Cangelosi
Adept
Adept

Return to News From The Admin