Spell Enchants and Physical Classes A MUST Read

News from the admin relating to developments in the roleplay, changes to the web site, etc

Moderators: Stormbringer, Ehlanna

Spell Enchants and Physical Classes A MUST Read

Postby L`aquera on Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:34 pm

Spell enchants and the enchant page on the site itself, has needed a revamp for a few years now and I've frankly been putting it off. Its no longer being put off and may take a bit of time to be complete. However some new changes are enacted and do affect all purely physical classes. We have removed the ability for physical classes to use the spell versions of enchants and charge slotted spell enchants. Enchants such as perm atk and def and perm spell enchants for bonus to damage are still allowed. All the actual in combat spell casting, regardless of if it's wand or not is now gone. There is a rainbow to the end of this change, if you are a All magical classesx2/phyx3 you can still dip within these changes for spell enchants. On further note to clarify this is for battle/anywhere enchants/spells leaving oob / fluff rp enchants as usable.

Now, I realize that plenty of you out there do not meet this criteria, any and all meherial spent upon these spell enchants for wands and or weapons, will be reimbursed at half price unless you recently spent the money for said enchants within the month of September, then you will be fully reimbursed. I'll be on as much as possible so please pm me and a payout will be done. This is fair for those that are now left without these spell enchants.
Don't breath, don't think.. for I am the shadow that will forever over take you..
L`aquera
High Council
High Council

Re: Spell Enchants and Physical Classes A MUST Read

Postby L`aquera on Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:41 pm

Just as a heads up, you can also do this;

Item Exchange and the !item destroy command

Returned items are exchanged for half of the original value. The long sword which is originally 60 mhl can be exchanged for 30 mhl. If the weapon is enchanted, the exchange rate for the enchant is added in at full price. So if someone was exchanging a long sword that had been enchanted with +1 atk it would be 100 mhl for the enchant and 30 for the long sword exchange rate for a total of 130 mhl. Once the weapon has been sold, make sure the player destroys it using the !item destroy command. This command is done in PM with Desdaemona and the syntax is !item destroy (name of item as it shows in the database):
Don't breath, don't think.. for I am the shadow that will forever over take you..
L`aquera
High Council
High Council

Postby Stormbringer on Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:24 pm

No doubt this will upset a lot of people, or at least, those who play physical classes and like using spells. So I guess I had better say that the giving of spells to phys as enchantments was not a policy of the admin. Not ever. It was introduced by the then manager of the SS without consultation. The mistake we made was in not nixing it immediately we discovered what was happening. This was largely my fault as I was preoccupied with a lot of real life stuff and I let it slip. My original intention was always that physical classes should only have enchants for stat enhancers and OOB effects.

As has been said elsewhere, the system is not perfect and it was never intended to be. Combat was tacked on to a fantasy roleplaying environment for the sake of those who wanted it. It was never intended as a core element except in freeform. But then we got the inevitable god moders who had wicked ninja skills (or whatever the crappy term is) which made them untouchable after a day in the game when fighting someone at level 50. Since then the admin has gone through a sequence of revamps to try and build on a shaky foundation, not especially helped by the snarky comments of players who like to stand on the sidelines and criticise instead of helping.

The system will continue to be tweaked and improved based upon what we see but do remember that work is done by volunteers who put aside their own roleplaying fun to try and make the game better for everyone.
--------------
Charm’d magic casements, opening on the foam
Of perilous seas, in faery lands forlorn

(John Keats)
Check your baggage at the door and bring some magic through your
window onto the world of Belariath
Stormbringer
High Council
High Council

Postby Kooky on Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:58 am

I have perhaps a dumb question.. but does this also apply to racial spells that aid with offense or defense? I ask because it seems like racial spells are an innate ability to that race, as opposed to something learned from a book by just anyone of a certain class.
Dev Team Member | Manager of the Bazaar (Lumio) | Assistant Manager of the Arena (Lumio) | Assistant Manager of the General Store (Spotzen Strype) | Manager of Chocolates 2 Cherish (Calvan) | Assistant Manager of the Siren's Call (Sammy)

Most known characters - Lumio, Misk, Rumplelynx, Moxie Fink, and Icki
Kooky
Predominate
Predominate

Postby L`aquera on Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:00 pm

does not affect racial spell spheres
L`aquera
High Council
High Council

Postby miyuka on Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:25 pm

Keep in mind that the enchant sphere only dips into the the first few Arcane sphere spells, so this will only affect a few select spells to begin with. Outside of those specific combat spells (you need to look at the Enchant sphere itself not other spheres) It's business as usual. Racial sphere spells are already NOT enchantable to begin with as are a lot of other spheres and have always been this way.
miyuka

Postby Joshua_Jericho on Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:48 pm

Sorry to bump an old one, but a question relating to this came up while looking at the enchant sphere.

I think it's fairly clear from the above that a barbarian using a wand or other item to throw firebolts is out - you don't want physical classes casting spells.

The question is - if we look at some spell like effects - for example, the permanent version of fire bolt, which to my understanding gives you effectively a flaming sword (stat effect, extra damage) - if there was a 'castable' version of that (maybe charge based), would you want to restrict that to magical classes only? To my eyes, a knight /barbarian using a word of power to set his sword on fire makes more rp sense than the same guy using said sword to cast firebolts.

Thank you in advance :).

JJ
Since I can't figure out how to change display name...player of Catiline, Umber and Saphamira! Often around on IRC GMT evenings and weekends.
Joshua_Jericho
Expert
Expert

Postby miyuka on Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:37 am

the extra damage thing is still available as far as I know.
miyuka

Postby Joshua_Jericho on Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:24 am

For clarity :

There's currently only a permanent version of the extra damage flaming sword thing. First post says that's OK. My question : if we added a charge based version of that, would it be magic only? (because in my suggestion elsewhere, I suggested we make a charge based version.)
Since I can't figure out how to change display name...player of Catiline, Umber and Saphamira! Often around on IRC GMT evenings and weekends.
Joshua_Jericho
Expert
Expert

Postby miyuka on Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:11 pm

Permanent spell would just make the weapon do extra damage up to 3 if you hit with it. I'm not really sure how or why we'd want charges for that.
miyuka

Postby Naomh on Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:23 pm

permanency is a bit misleading in name. A permanent enchantment is an always on/active enchantment. Charges are for activated versions of enchantments.
Avatar courtesy of: Lucky/Isilindil : http://belariath.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=136186#p136186
Team member of: Dev, SI, Quest, Ops
Manager of: Sorcerous Sanctuary (Anaya), Unigo (Headmistress - Keani), Lodge of Strength (Head Priestess - Robyn)
Assistant manager of: Thallis (Lady of the Azure Isle - Naomh), Sutara's house (Majordomo - North), Arena (Records Keeper - Kateri)
Naomh
Predominate
Predominate

Return to News From The Admin