A touch of immorality

News from the admin relating to developments in the roleplay, changes to the web site, etc

Moderators: Stormbringer, Ehlanna

A touch of immorality

Postby Ehlanna on Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:16 pm

Or maybe immortallty ..?

In the last couple of days I have tweaked Desdaemona - mainly for cosmetic purposes (such as having a list of names returned in a better, fixed order or supplying information relevant to shop workers).

Now it is your chance - please have a think and if there is a feature missing, lacking or just needing a small tweak then please suggest it here and I and Amethine will commune and evaluate and, maybe, implement it! I know you need no incentive to make work for us but, in the spirit of the masochist and bearing in mind our late lamented, beloved naiya's credo of 'spank me, make me write code' a small reward (or large depending on our evaluation of the suggestion) will be made for anything we put in place.
Ehlanna
High Council
High Council

Re: A touch of immorality

Postby Tawny on Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:26 pm

There already be such a command but if so I don't know what it is. But I was thinking a command that would show a person the name of all chars they have registered to them. I was also thinking about a command that could help in finding a shop item one has. Like instead of just the Myitem command if it would be possible to narrow down finding a item in your list. I mean not by shop but by category of the shop the item was bought from. Such as looking at the General Store price list it shows different Categories for items. So if you needed to find lets say a Personal Item bought from the General Store you could type a command such as... Myitem Personal item... And Desdaemona could show you all items that come from that part of the General Store items you have bought instead of everything you have bought from there over the years. Again just an idea I was thinking about.
Tawny

Postby Ehlanna on Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:54 am

Tawny wrote:There already be such a command but <snip>

I have, in the past pondered both of these ideas, which is not to say I have decided not to ever implement them!
The first idea (list my characters) is a good idea but has 'unseen' drawbacks which makes me hesitate as the output would not be, in all cases, fully accurate; and that, alone, makes me think it is, sadly, not a thing to do.
The second idea is one that should be possible, it just depends on how it is done. The !shopitem myitems command has options to filter by name of item and/or which shop. 'All' that will be needed is a way of weaving in the 'of type' option;, which may be trickier than it sounds, but we'll take a look.
Ehlanna
High Council
High Council

Postby Ehlanna on Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:47 am

Tawny wrote:<snip>

And the !shopitem myitem additional option has been implemented
Ehlanna
High Council
High Council

Postby Ray`el on Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:36 pm

cough

Weather for different regions.

Also.

great job on all the hard work you put up and into the bot with the cookie kitties help.
Ray`el
Predominate
Predominate

Postby Ehlanna on Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:06 pm

Ray`el wrote:cough

Weather for different regions.

Also.

great job on all the hard work you put up and into the bot with the cookie kitties help.

This is already 'in the melting pot', waiting for a firm decision of how to proceed - actually quite a complex set of things to sort out so it won't be done quite as quick as Tawny's :)
Ehlanna
High Council
High Council

Postby Amara on Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:53 pm

A suggestion for the bazaar shop .. if this is at all possible:

When one is looking for an item, for example a Towel, if you type in towel, it shows as not having one or a
comb is listed in des as Bone comb. Who would know it was made out of bone when searching for the price of one?

You have to type in the size or type first.

It would be so much easier if it was just 'Towel' and then sort by size.

:)

A bazillion spanks and cookies would be offered in thanks. :D

Some more examples:
Code: Select all
Personal Hygiene Goods
Small Shaving Bowl & Whisk
2mhl - id 1070
Medium Shaving Bowl & Whisk
4mhl - id 1071
Large Cotton Bath sheets aka towels - set of 10
25mhl - id 1487
Cotton Washcloths - set of 10
15mhl - id 1488
Cotton Hand Towels - set of 10
10mhl - id 1489
Sea Sponges
3mhl - id 1490
Bone comb
4mhl - id 1491
Bone hairbrushes with horse hair bristles
6mhl - id 1492
Bone Handle Shears
10mhl - id 1493
Bone Handle Straight razors
10mhl - id 1494
Bone Handle Nail files
5mhl - id 1495

Here's the link to the price list on the mb: viewtopic.php?f=216&t=13993
Avatar courtesy of: Lucky/Isilindil: viewtopic.php?p=136186#p136186

"If my heart could beat, it'd beat for you." Valley of Silence

"And yet you did not chose me blindly. Certain expectations were aroused.
Let's not be coy; you were hoping I would satisfy all the desires you're
too shy to name, or at least show you a good time." The Crimson Petal and the White
Amara
Predominate
Predominate

Postby Joshua_Jericho on Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:26 pm

Could we bump the ! list active to show who's where, or is that too stalkery?

And, the !webdesc (which is great) seems to have an auto !full name check built into it if a char is logged in - could you add that to the other character commands? Stats, desc, rsc etc?

And...hm. Could you get Des to output a !time in the PM window when she detects a work tag nick change?

Please and thank you :).

JJ
Since I can't figure out how to change display name...player of Catiline, Umber and Saphamira! Often around on IRC GMT evenings and weekends.
Joshua_Jericho
Expert
Expert

Postby Vexalicious on Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:12 pm

Joshua_Jericho wrote:Could we bump the ! list active to show who's where, or is that too stalkery?

I personally think that where as it might not be stalkery(?) it's definitely not needed. If you want to play with a specific person, arrange it with them. The active was supposed to be used to help encourage random and unplanned RP, basically knowing there was people in a channel TO play with. But that's just my opinion
Vexalicious
Novice
Novice

Postby Ehlanna on Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:28 pm

Amara wrote:A suggestion for the bazaar shop .. if this is at all possible:
<snip>

If I follow you, that would require a mass rename of all items to follow that standard - which is, in itself, not a bad idea ... just painful and error-prone ;) It'd be a database edit, not of Desdaemona, per se, but will bear this in mind!

In addition, this item names on the MB are not those in the database! I would be happy to do some mass edits to, say; remove size qualifier (small,medium,large) from the beginning of the name and tack it on to the end, but that will impact others, so will sit on this for a bit and see what others (yes, that's YOU, people!) think :)
Ehlanna
High Council
High Council

Postby Ehlanna on Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:42 pm

Joshua_Jericho wrote:Could we bump the ! list active to show who's where, or is that too stalkery?

And, the !webdesc (which is great) seems to have an auto !full name check built into it if a char is logged in - could you add that to the other character commands? Stats, desc, rsc etc?

And...hm. Could you get Des to output a !time in the PM window when she detects a work tag nick change?

Please and thank you :).

JJ

As Vexalicious says for the first!
Vexalicious wrote:

I personally think that where as it might not be stalkery(?) it's definitely not needed. If you want to play with a specific person, arrange it with them. The active was supposed to be used to help encourage random and unplanned RP, basically knowing there was people in a channel TO play with. But that's just my opinion

For the second part - some commands require a nick, some a character name, some handle either. There is a kind of balancing act between what is useful and what is close to OOC knowledge. Doing some commands against a nick could (or would) reveal the underlying character name they are logged in as, even if/when they are in disguise, which then presumes to give out too much information. It's something I have pondered many times and, thus far, I have always fallen back to the standards first implemented, and explained to me, by naiya, and so they remain as-is.

For the third ... interesting idea. What would construe such a tag? It would add a little over-head as a database call would need to be done as well as the checking for the 'tag change' but possible. I'll have a consult with Amethine on this one.
Ehlanna
High Council
High Council

Postby Joshua_Jericho on Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:18 am

Noted on the first point - I think it's worth pointing out that who's where is already available data - someone just needs to a run an IRC /whois on everyone in the OOC. Time-consuming, but people can still do it. For me, knowing who's where would make the 'random RP' element much easier - particularly when it comes to picking a character to play. If there's three male characters eyeing each other warily in the Inn and drinking beer, they might not need a fourth - whereas a cutesy barmaid would fit right in.

On the second - are there any commands someone would use which don't depend on the underlying character name? All the giving commands IC require the nick, but Des outputs the charname anyway. The current setup just means that webdesc becomes my default command in all circumstances - even if I just want to check someone's class or race, because it enables me to skip the 'Did you mean Johnny Silverhand/Johnny`Silverhand/Johnny Silver Hand', when someone's nick is Johnny_Silverhand - but I understand the answer :).

On the third, I'm pretty sure the work tags are standard - SS, -MMR, -NB etc. The noble houses get a little less standardised, as does the Inn - -BT, -BM, BW or -Inn are the Inn ones. I think a standardised list could be compiled.

JJ
Since I can't figure out how to change display name...player of Catiline, Umber and Saphamira! Often around on IRC GMT evenings and weekends.
Joshua_Jericho
Expert
Expert

Postby Amara on Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:38 am

I am willing to help with the Bazaar re-do in any way I can.
Avatar courtesy of: Lucky/Isilindil: viewtopic.php?p=136186#p136186

"If my heart could beat, it'd beat for you." Valley of Silence

"And yet you did not chose me blindly. Certain expectations were aroused.
Let's not be coy; you were hoping I would satisfy all the desires you're
too shy to name, or at least show you a good time." The Crimson Petal and the White
Amara
Predominate
Predominate

Postby Ray`el on Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:51 am

a way to make fae mail anonymous for rp oppurnitys? you and amenthine could still see who entered it. but ie. the cookie thief hit the HH. If i was the one who told her, she would know i knew about that dastardly man! but if it came from

" an anonymous fae" it is an air of mystery?
Ray`el
Predominate
Predominate

Postby Ehlanna on Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:35 pm

Ray`el wrote:a way to make fae mail anonymous for rp oppurnitys? you and amenthine could still see who entered it. but ie. the cookie thief hit the HH. If i was the one who told her, she would know i knew about that dastardly man! but if it came from

" an anonymous fae" it is an air of mystery?

That already exists ... :)
Ehlanna
High Council
High Council

Next

Return to News From The Admin