Skills F.A.Q.

News from the admin relating to developments in the roleplay, changes to the web site, etc

Moderators: Stormbringer, Ehlanna

Skills F.A.Q.

Postby Tamryn on Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:40 pm

Skills

What are skills?

Skills are things learned as your character gains experience and levels. They add abilities and capabilities to your character as well as roleplay flavor.

What are skill ranks?

Skill ranks are novice, apprentice, journeyman, etc... They are an indication of a level of mastery you have attained in a skill. Each rank of the skill bought costs the same as the skill point cost of the skill. So it is like purchasing the skill again, only this time you are raising your ranking. Initial purchase of a skill makes you a novice in it.

What are the types of skills?

Unranked General skills - generalized skills anyone can learn, purchased with general skill points, GSP.
Ranked General skills - these are crafting skills, available to artisans and specific class groupings, also purchased with general skill points, GSP.

What are skill points?

Skill points are points you gain as you level your character that you can spend to buy skills. There are two different types of skill points.

What are the two types of skill points?

General Skill points (GSP) - these are used to purchase general skills, specialized general skills, and racial skills.

General Skill Points

How do I get general skill points?

Players get 1 general skill point, or GSP, per level.

Do I start with any general skills to reflect my character background?

Characters start with 5 general skill points at first level instead of one. These may be taken and used to reflect some of their character's background.

How come general skills only have one rank?

These are basic skills that do not require being broken into ranks or require varying levels of expertise.

How come ranked general skills have ranks?

Specialized general skills are ranked general skills, used to improve your ability to do a job and create items and earn income. They are ranked as they show certain levels of expertise as you progress in learning them. Each rank costs 1 GSP to learn.

What classes can learn ranked general skills?

Artisans can learn most ranked general skills. Other classes may be able to learn specific ranked generalskills.

How do I know what classes can learn a ranked general skill?

It will be listed on the class listing as well as under the skill in the general skills section.

May I save up general skill points?

No, general skill points must be spent each time you gain a level. Thus you cannot save up five points an decide to instantly become a Master of Metalsmithing. It is done over levels to reflect character growth over time.

How do ranked general skills affect the money I earn for a job?

Each rank of a ranked general skill applicable to a job will add 20 mhl to your monthly salary. So for instance if you work at the Anvil's Horn and you have three ranks, journeyman level, in metalsmithing. You will make an additional 60 mhl a month. It is the players responsibility to get with the shop manager, their boss, to see their pay rate is adjusted properly. This increase is to indicate the desire by the shop to have such fine quality of work done for them. You may only apply a salary increase via skills to ONE fulltime job, as it indicates a significant effort on your part to putput skilled labor, thus your efforts may not be split to multiple jobs you may work.
Tamryn
Adept
Adept

Return to News From The Admin