Jobs and Skilled Labor

News from the admin relating to developments in the roleplay, changes to the web site, etc

Moderators: Stormbringer, Ehlanna

Jobs and Skilled Labor

Postby Tamryn on Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:55 pm

Ok, with the introduction of the Ranked General Skills to the game, we will be making a few changes to jobs in the game. Players will now be limited to one full time and two part time positions. These include positions working for Nobles.

However, we are also introducing "skilled labor" to the game. Shops will want workers who excel at their craft and bring notoriety to them. For the full time position the player works at, if he has an applicable ranked general skill for that shop or position, his pay rate may be raised by 20 mhl per rank in the skill, adding a potential 100 mhl per month for their labor at that job. It is the responsibility of the player to communicate with his/her shop manager to ensure their pay rate is properly set to reflect their level of skill. This may not be applied to part time positions. Below is a list of shops and applicable Ranked General Skills that will affect those positions:

Priests of AdenVer - Religious Ceremony
Anvils Horn - Metalsmithing
The Nanthalion Arena - Heraldry, Scribe
The Body Arts - Body Arts
Baths - Tending/Etiquette
Brewery - Brewing/Winemaking
C2C Chocolates - Candymaking
Circle of Hortus(Apothecary) - Alchemy
Priests of Gaea - Religious Ceremony
The General Store - Tending/Etiquette, Jeweler
Healers' House - First Aid/Triage
Imperial Guard - Soldiering
The Lonely Inn - Tending/Ettiquette
The Imperial Slave Authority - Scribe
Priests of Ishtar - Religious Ceremony
Priests of Kirva - Religious Ceremony
Minotaur's Bane - Glassblowing/Pottery
Might Makes Right - Metalsmithing
Naked Bird - Tailoring, Tending Etiquette
Pack Den - the woodshop - Carpentry, Sculpture
Real Estate office - Cartography
Resurrector - Ressurection
Sirens Call - Instrument Maker
Sorcerous Sanctuary - Enchanting, Potionmaking
The Temple of Ishtar - Religious Ceremony
Wolfs Pride - Butcher, Hunting
The Wyrm's Nest in Valencia - Tending/Etiquette

Payroll for Eraelabryn
Payroll for Infernis
Payroll for Greywind
Payroll for Ryo
Payroll for Scathien
Payroll for ShaKa
Payroll for Tamryn
Payroll for Unigo
Payroll for Umbara
The Imperial Palace

Noble and palace positions it will be up to the Noble or Head of that spot to determine via discussion with the player whether or not they have an applicable ranked skill.

It is player responsibility to ensure you do not work more than one full time position. If you are found to be working multiple, you will be asked to drop one of those. One full time and two part time. Skills will not affect part time positions as the workers working part time are not considered to have sufficient time to truly practice their skill at that position.

Also you may work any position and are not required to have an applicable skill. You just won't get the bonus pay for working a full time position you do not possess an applicable skill in.
Tamryn
Adept
Adept

Postby Freelance on Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:37 am

Players or characters? Because I've seen some players offer anywhere from five to twelve jobs, and they're able to offer that many due to different characters maintaining jobs.
Freelance
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Eraelabryn on Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:48 am

Characters can have three jobs.

The Muns can have as many as they can actively work as long as their characters only have three a piece.

However, it is my understanding the pay rate only creates that bonus for ONE job per character.

Example:

Adisa works at the CoH, the MMR and the BA. I can apply my points how I do (when she has the points) but lets say she levels up, earns the right to have three needed skills.

Metalsmithing
Alchemy
Body Arts

For the sake of the example lets say she is allowed to have each of these :) Even if her class doesnt permit two of them.

She can ONLY apply to one job for that bonus of the extra mhl for holding the skills in it. Meaning she has dedicated herself to one of those three crafts, in this case the BA and therefore will inform the Manager of it that she has "This" Skill so could she please have her raise.

Again, I could be wrong on this example, if I am someone correct me, but it should clarify it out a bit more.
Eraelabryn
Op
Op

Postby Stormbringer on Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:43 am

The skills bonus only applies to the full time job. That is considered the character's vocation. The part time jobs are just that - filler to make extra money but not a dedicated way of life.
--------------
Charm’d magic casements, opening on the foam
Of perilous seas, in faery lands forlorn

(John Keats)
Check your baggage at the door and bring some magic through your
window onto the world of Belariath
Stormbringer
High Council
High Council

Postby CallieO on Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:03 am

Ah, okay. Thanks for clarifying that. I modified my thread in the SS to reflect what you just said, SB. :)
"If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe."
--Dr. Beverly Crusher

Player of Callie Volopa, Viaa, Auric Lightwing, Brian Perano, Erin Tarcata and Aimee Sarasiné

CallieO
Predominate
Predominate

Postby Jeffrin Kalus on Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:49 pm

Some Dwellings have more then one skill listed for them aka general store, pack den etc, would this mean if you had both skills in question would they stack, i looked for this question when i noticed but i could not find a mention of it, sorry if this was allready covered somewhere else
Jeffrin Kalus
Novice
Novice

Postby Stormbringer on Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:26 pm

Generally speaking you'd be employed at a location for a specific job, just as in the real world. So an extra skill may make you more employable but wouldn't stack for salary increases. That's about the best answer I can give without specific examples.
--------------
Charm’d magic casements, opening on the foam
Of perilous seas, in faery lands forlorn

(John Keats)
Check your baggage at the door and bring some magic through your
window onto the world of Belariath
Stormbringer
High Council
High Council

Re: Jobs and Skilled Labor

Postby Takao on Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:48 am

So, in the process of attempting to understand skills and how/why I should bother with them, I discovered that certain skills, once learned, would increase your pay at a related job.(Amazing, considering that it's in this thread.) What I'm wondering though, is why these skills pretty much keep certain classes from working certain jobs.

Sure, you can work the job, but you won't get all the pay you could have. Sure, you could have multiple jobs, but some people don't want to work at more than one place, don't believe their character would work at more than one place, or simply do not have the time. Should these people be, for lack of a better word, punished for being the wrong class when it comes to work?

If there were to be a solution to this, it could involve opening up skills to all classes, which I doubt and just don't think is that great an idea, adding in a second or third skill for some jobs, which would most likely involve the creation of more ranked skills, or simply allowing a skill to be substituted in place of the normally required skill.

People should have the option of being able to work where they wish to with the fullest benefit.

Also, there should be a knitting skill available only to the most physical of classes, just so we can sit in the inn and watch the big, musclebound warriors knit.
Takao
Op
Op

Postby Odharnait on Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:48 am

I was thinking that as nice as Cartography is, wouldn't Scribing be more essential for the Real Estate agents? It's not to often that we have to re-work maps.
huh wha?
Odharnait
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Flidais on Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:43 am

I was looking through the list and I noticed that no shop needs a leather worker? Was it over looked or on purpose?
Flidais
Novice
Novice

Postby L`aquera on Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:24 pm

Tanner, is in the list. Thats what they do.
Don't breath, don't think.. for I am the shadow that will forever over take you..
L`aquera
High Council
High Council

Postby Aramis on Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:27 pm

He's asking "which shop needs leather workers?" not about an actual leather working skill. Is there a tanning shop that I've missed?

Also, remember that freelancing is also viable, so even if a shop doesn't need it, you can still market yourself. There are also (currently defunct, though not forgotten) plans for Aramis and Christine Daae to open a leather shop. When we mentioned it though, there was an underwhelming response.
"The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it."
Aramis
Expert
Expert

Postby Alta_Nova on Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:23 am

The MMR and the GS use leather working skills for their products. I started out in the MMR as a skilled leather worker/fletcher/bower
Alta_Nova
Initiate
Initiate

Return to News From The Admin