Prostitution - A Reminder

News from the admin relating to developments in the roleplay, changes to the web site, etc

Moderators: Stormbringer, Ehlanna

Prostitution - A Reminder

Postby Stormbringer on Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:59 pm

We don't want to inhibit roleplay too much and sex is still a big part of that. What we want to avoid is a character who takes on sex as a regular way to make money. We've seen in the past that it actually turns into more of an OOC thing:

To Joe Newbie in OOC "You want to get some cyber, you can have sex with my char but you have to give me 20Mh". Before too long other players jump on that bandwagon and the newer players figure that's the only way they can get to play so they leave for somewhere more open.

I wouldn't discourage sex that followed on from a job like dancer or shop worker where they get a bigger tip from putting out, as well as providing a normal service as part of their profession. But it does shade into prostitution if they demand a certain amount of money in advance rather than hoping for the generosity of their r/p partner.

So here are some reminders about how it works in TLI:

- definitely no brothels

- prostitution is defined as demanding a specific amount of money, either IC or OOC, in return for cyber

- freelance prostitution isn't banned but discouraged as follows:

- no whoring on empire property

- no whoring at the inn except with specific permission of the owner who may demand a cut since it competes with the Inn slaves. To my knowledge that permission was only ever given to Amelinda and the player renounced it about a year ago because of its perceived favoritism.

- offering sex for sale in any open channel is an automatic implied OOC consent to be raped by any character who can reasonably overhear that offer

After all, given the world of Belariath, the last item is the reasonably expected response from just about any inhabitant
--------------
Charm’d magic casements, opening on the foam
Of perilous seas, in faery lands forlorn

(John Keats)
Check your baggage at the door and bring some magic through your
window onto the world of Belariath
Stormbringer
High Council
High Council

Return to News From The Admin