July Wk. 4 Art Challenge - Magick!

Weekly projects with absolutely no chance of either fortune or fame. Open to all.

Moderator: Tehya

July Wk. 4 Art Challenge - Magick!

Postby Ubique on Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:15 pm

this challenge is open to any typical form of art or expression, including 2D, 3D, poetry and short stories.

however you spell it, however you perceive it, what does it mean to you? is it casting spells? is it making potions? is it levitation and broomsticks and quiddich or is it pagan goddesses and wiccan circles and druids in trees? is it pointed hats with stars on them, teleportation, storms from nowheres?

what does 'magick' mean to you? what does it mean to you in belariath...?
This is a pill. Take it and chill...
DireLilith on Twitter
Ubique
Adept
Adept

Re: July Wk. 4 Art Challenge - Magick!

Postby Ehlanna on Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:02 pm

My first go ....

Ehlanna
High Council
High Council

Postby Eraelabryn on Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:24 pm

Ok, so.. I am apparently unable to figure out how to link the images :evil: :roll: :twisted:
Eraelabryn
Op
Op

Postby Ylith on Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:51 pm

another week, another effort.

Ylith
Novice
Novice

Postby Ehlanna on Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:19 pm

The other sort of magic ...

Ehlanna
High Council
High Council

Postby Tehya on Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:15 am

Magic

“Mother, father the food is dwindling, soon there will be no more left!”

Her mother was weaving and her father had just come in with his arms loaded with wood for the fire. The imprint of snow was up to his mid-thigh, that’s how deep the snow was outside.

“We shall make due, don’t worry.”

They did worry though, and knew the nearest village was miles away, and a dangerous journey by foot. They had no sleigh and the horse they did have would never make it there with the snow that deep. Instead he was kept in the stable being fed hay and oats, but even that was dwindling since they expected a normal winter.

It was bitter cold, the elves realized magic didn’t always supply them food and drinks, this wasn’t the Inn that was miles away. They worked hard, and their root cellars stored vegetables from the fall harvest, and fruits stored in boxes. Families realized this winter was going to be harsh, since it wasn’t easy to fish or hunt with snow so deep it hit their upper thighs. It was a hard winter.

An ample supply of wheat was ground into flour, and wool was shorn for the looms to weave clothing. The perfect thought out plan for a typical winter, but this wasn’t typical and the supply they needed disappeared to leave one young Sylvan separated from the Inn where she sold her crafts to earn money to sustain her family. That Sylvan elf was named Janita.

Janita had hair as dark as the raven’s feathers, and her eyes were the color of the green rolling hills in the summer, and she worked hard to help her family watching the dangerous perils appear daily as everything was beginning to disappear.

She knew of a wealthy man named Intuy who visited and lived near the Inn. He owned an array of horses and sleighs and once paid her a meager sum for an ornate box because she refused to give him her virtue along with her craft. He was callous and only had regards for the other nobles, a fussy sort of man who enjoyed giving pain more than pleasure. Janita decided to try and make it to the Inn to find him, a dangerous trip, but it could save the entire village.

There was no way she could tell the young Sylvan Mattaw that she was going to attempt to do this for the village, or he would of stopped her, or insisted on going along. Janita knew he needed to stay, for his father died that autumn and he was helping his mother and siblings. So she packed her bags and dressed as warm as she could to head off to the Inn to see if she could convince Intyu to help with the promise of more crafts which he loved collecting.

She went down into the root cellar and planned on leaving through the outside door, and pushed with all her might until she got the double doors to open, sending piles of snow back inside the cellar. With a forceful kick she pushed the doors shut with her foot, but the next day that snow would alert her family that she left. Janita thought it was enough time to get a good head start to the Inn.

Snow was falling and blowing hard; it actually hurt her to see ahead, and the snowflakes were firm little flakes stinging her eyes. She didn’t expect it to be this bad, and carried her shovel and pack with her. The shovel served more as a walking stick something to slam into the drifts and pull her out to get a few more steps ahead. In her pack she had her clothes, and some food, but no tent. Expecting to get there before dark she pushed ahead facing the bitter chill for her village. Janita walked and walked eating some dry fruit along the way, and her gloves and cloak was becoming stiff and laden with ice and snow.

Finally she seen the Inn about two hundred feet from where she stood, and heard an approaching sleigh drawn by horses. All her plans blew up in her face when she seen who was driving, Intuy. He seen her helplessly covered in snow, and the sleigh was moving fast. Her long dark hair was sprinkled with so much snow her hair sparkled like diamonds were adorning her. He slowed right down and smiled a derisive smile at her.

“Give me your hand girl and get into the sleigh with me; I have wanted to give you a ride for a long time.”

”Intuy I promise to carve you anything you wish, even a statue when the weather breaks if you will bring
food and wheat to my village.”

“For a price girl, everything comes with a price. I will take you to my home undress you and have you as I desire, then you get your favor.”

She had heard of his persuasive ways and was saving herself for Mattaw.

“I cannot do such a thing. I will find help elsewhere.”

“Go ahead you little slut, but by the time you get to the Inn my guards will be waiting for you.”

His dark eyes leered with lust and he hit the horse’s ass with the whip unmercifully to pull his sleigh towards the Inn.

Either way she lost, going to the Inn she would be captured, and her love for Mattaw was not going to be tarnished by the cynical dominating man Intuy.

Janita ran into the thick trees where his sleigh couldn’t get through, and it was already getting dark, she would be lucky to make it through the night. The journey was strenuous and she began to get so cold without the sun shining, she dumped her bag of clothes and tied them together making a tiny awning over her head, and dug into the snow making a small fort for a shelter.

Soon enough the cold began to enwrap her in the oncoming arms of death and her body shook from the extreme temperatures.

“My god, I do apologize for failing my people………..!”

Those were the last words she said.

Mattaw was alerted by Janita’s father of her disappearance, and since the young Sylvan was more capable then he was to leave the family and search for her, Janita’s father promised to look after his mother and siblings if he would go and try and find her.

Mattaw had the ability to fly and went through the trees rather than the common path because that area had less accumulation of snow since the evergreens shielded parts of the forest. He called and called to her.

“Janita my love where are you?”

His magic never wavered and his spell fly brought him through trees with icicles large enough to be
weapons, and he saw one of her favorite blouses that broke free from the canopy wavering in the wind and floating to him.

Mattaw snatched it into his hand and shouted so loud his throat hurt, while depending on his magic to keep him in flight.

“Janita!”

Below him he saw a huddled figure, no more having hair the color of the raven, but encrusted in snow. He swept down and dug the snow from her body and lifted her in his arms to sweep the snow off her and ran his hands through her hair. Mattaw was in a predicament, stay or fly home, and he knew he had used a good portion of his fly spell and probably would not make it.

You see everything has a little magic in it, when lovers gaze into each other’s eyes and the belief of being able to do something, so he flew up into the storm facing the horrific weather with Janita looking into his eyes.

That was enough to encourage Mattaw to pull all the magic he could muster until they finally found her home with the roof projecting from the cabin. Setting her down on her feet he looked into her green eyes.

“How did you do this Mattaw...how?”

“Magic has many meanings Janita, my love for you extended my fly spell, and you’re home safe in my arms.”

They looked into each other’s eyes and she ran her fingers through his dusty blonde hair, and it made her realize they were ready to become one.

Unbeknown to her someone was nearby when she spoke to Intuy, and they spread the word that the village was in trouble. They brought ample supplies and families were fed. In the spring when the flowers broke from the earth, Janita and Mattaw were bonded.

That’s magic.

Thank you Ehlanna, your picture inspired my story.

As always loved the artwork!
Tehya

Postby Augustus on Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:00 am

I love you all...and that is magick :)
Augustus
Expert
Expert

Postby Saybera on Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:07 pm

*:SWORD MAGIC:*

"Hello My sword, my companion, my friend.
Shall we ride off into battle again?"
"Let's go fight just to conquer and keep.
The enemy is near and my they are weak"
The silvery metal object did reply,
"Never forget, dear one, I am at your side.
And there I shall stay until we are done.
So off into battle went the horses' hooves clambered
Pounding the earth with a warning of vengeance
I, to slay the enemy without any just penance.
Sword in my hand, rode by my side
We charged into the midst of them all with pride.
Surrounded we were soon found,
my helm I kept securely down,
the confusion was much as metal all clashed
I dismounted my horse and tore off my sash.
The battle ensued and long raged
We fought upstaged ruthless hours vague
Sword stayed nearest to me through the melee.
While held firmly into my grip with glee
I fought and kicked with every inch.
Men all around did approach with a cinch
I in battle gear stood
ready to meet my death, understood?
One man forcefully came up to swing,
At my helm with a cling
Much to my dismay it went barreling to the dirt.
He looked with a smirk and a laugh and quirk
"Gods be amazed she be a LASS!!"
I growled with pride
my magical sword by my side
Rushed to impaled him as he laughed.
So it just goes to show,
whether friend or with foe,
NAE make a woman mad as this
Show her love and show her bliss
Or sword magic be your good night kiss.
Saybera
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Augustus on Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:27 am

all good stuff. i'm always amazed by the artwork, stories and poems in here.. you're all truly inspirational.

when i get home I will dive into CGI
Augustus
Expert
Expert

Postby Ubique on Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:50 am

remember that when it comes to challenges, any and all, life included, they're just practice! and practice makes perfect!! this is me practicing.

DireLilith on Twitter
Ubique
Adept
Adept

Postby Tehya on Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:31 pm

Awesome picture, nice poem, and I had to laugh after writing so long, Augustus says it in 8 words.

Well done everyone!
Tehya

Postby Augustus on Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:20 am

Lil late...

Augustus
Expert
Expert

Postby Ubique on Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:02 am

thanks for contributing! don't worry about deadlines with challenges. they're mostly about challenging people to try something outside of what they might normally be doing. so any time you're feeling...up to the challenge... muahaaa! :lol:
DireLilith on Twitter
Ubique
Adept
Adept

Return to Creative Challenges with the Artists Ambit