Paladins: Advantage or Ability Ideas

This will hold older posts which may still be referred to for certain instances but are no longer active discussions.

Moderators: Stormbringer, Ehlanna

Paladins: Advantage or Ability Ideas

Postby Kir^Trelander on Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:00 pm

So, hopefully this isn't bad that I'm posting ideas for my own class. I realize there is no current Dev for Paladins despite their being unfinished, but hopefully if someone steps up to the plate, these will be viable ideas or will have been set aside as unnecessary. Just want to do my part to speed them along. :)

Power of the Pious:
This is not an aura, but an ability that is consciously summoned by the Paladin when it is needed. Essentially it is a show of power, but not of their own. The paladin calls on proof of support from their chosen God, and as a result, the sigils emblazoned on their shield, armor, or weapon that mark the God they follow will blaze, glimmer, shine, or some other such effect.

This is merely a show of divine backing that will grant an intimidating effect when used theatrically with action. Ineffective against those who are declared and strong in their own faith, against the unpious or the disbelieving or agnostic, the proof that this Paladin works in the name of a God can be effective in swaying the mood of their interactions.

I'm reluctant to have it be based on rolls, because it's not meant as a fear aura or anything of that nature. It's simply a proof, a slap in the face, that hindering this being in this moment is hindering a God who is acknowledging and encouraging their worshipper.

Act of Faith:
This one may be out of line, but still seemed like a cool concept. If a Paladin takes a stalwart stance in a heroic stand for their religion, their God protects them from fatal harm. This is not for meager combat or anything of that sort. An example would be a Paladin of Ishtar who submits to the painful torture of a known enemy to show their devout worship to the ideals of Ishtar, or some other epically pious action.

When they are put in harm's way to further the ends of their chosen deity, that deity recognizes it and prevents death in a case where death would have otherwise resulted. Keep in mind, this does not prevent the consequences of that action, or the pain that may result, or even the captivity or collaring that may very well ensue. It is not a get out of harm's way free card. It simply prevents their servant who has just proven themselves devoted from being made unable to serve further.

Thoughts? These on a bad thought path for paladins, too high-magic-like?
Kir^Trelander
Expert
Expert

Postby Kir^Trelander on Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:14 pm

Out of curiosity, what would people think of the 'traditional' treating of paladins, where they almost always use a shield and receive a variety of skills usable with that shield, particularly the shield bearing the emblem of their deity?

Is that too restricting, or does it fit the TLI paladin?
Kir^Trelander
Expert
Expert

Postby Odharnait on Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:23 pm

Knights are already restricted to having to carry a shield, with the emblem of who they are a knight of on it. seems silly to do that to paladins.
huh wha?
Odharnait
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Kir^Trelander on Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:34 pm

Yet another idea out of this head of mine. Discussion hoped for, not just welcomed.

Divine Champion (or Stalwart Faith)
------------------------------------------
*Requires Paladin be bearing their emblems openly
*Requires Paladin be acting in interests of their deity, not selfish ones.

A Paladin is considered the enforcer of their faith, the protector, the defender. As such, they are often expected to be stalwart, unafraid, and stand in the path of what is sometimes a more powerful foe than they should feel confident facing off against, and this is done with the faith that their god will carry them through the encounter.

In the case that they are less powerful (i.e. lower in level) than their opponent, Paladins gain +X to damage dealt on a successful attack, where X is the number of times the Paladin class has been chosen*1.5. They receive X less damage from opponent's successful attacks, where X is number of times they have taken the Paladin class*1.5.

I.e. A Paladinx2 against a higher level would not receive bonuses to hit, but when they do hit, they would add 3 to damage dealt. Each successful hit against them would deal 3 less damage.

Sound...legit?
Kir^Trelander
Expert
Expert

Postby Dowjin on Thu May 01, 2008 12:30 am

Kir^Trelander - Not entirely, because at higher levels they'd take very little, if any damage. Ever. And have a big bonus damage too. If it was a percentage buff or debuff, that would be reasonable, akin to the Guardian. But raw damage reduction is way too powerful against the !damage roll of our combat system.

Also, I'd pick one or the other, because getting both offense -and- defense is a bit much. I'd also define it better mechanically so that people can't just say "Oh, its what my god wants" and be a zealot as an excuse to accomplish their own goals.

As a disadvantage, if you wanted to differentiate Paladins from knights somewhat, because both have the same requirement of presenting shields and emblems, then I'd maybe add as a drawback that a Paladin has to spend the first round of every combat speaking some kind of quick prayer and drawing power. That way it pays an homage to their deity instead of a grey area of arguments over what the god would or wouldn't support.

As for an advantage, Warlords are probably going to end up working the martial angle and attack bonuses, if Guardian gets passed it'll be a nice defensive angle, so the Paladin could come up with a Holy Smite for damage; and then physicals have a range of options between those three advanced classes.

So, I.E. Holy Smite: A Paladin may make a Holy Smite once per fight, and one additional time for every two times the class is chosen. A Holy Smite attempt must be declared before it is rolled. A successful Close Physical Attack roll made after declaring a Holy Smite attempt deals one extra point of damage per time the class has been chosen.

So you start with one smite, and at x2 x4 x6 etc you get one more. Limiting that, alongside missing, will keep the total potential damage down, while still giving them a bonus to enjoy every time they pick the class.
Dowjin

Postby Kir^Trelander on Thu May 01, 2008 2:02 am

I'm actually in the process of making a 'power' for each deity.

But I thought that you maxxed out the 'number of times taken' with x5 or x6, for paladins?

That would be at most +7 or +9 damage IF they hit someone higher level than them, and 7 or 9 damage reduced each time they get hit. Keeping in mind that it will always be against someone of higher level that these come into play...is it -that- huge?

I'm not that well versed in the balance side of things. So yeah, your clarification is very much appreciated. I didn't think those numbers sounded so huge :/

I'm working on further disadvantages as well. Right now, the Paladin advantage and disadvantages are meh, almost inconsequential. Which is what I'm working on fixing.

Edited to Add:
Also, I'd pick one or the other, because getting both offense -and- defense is a bit much. I'd also define it better mechanically so that people can't just say "Oh, its what my god wants" and be a zealot as an excuse to accomplish their own goals.

This is a major concern of mine with the Paladin class, actually. Their power is supposed to be in the interest of their God, not themselves. Which means that whatever they're given has to be policed constantly to insure that things aren't being twisted around to just give themselves an uber-character. If you've got any ideas on how to solve that problem...PM me with it, please, because I'm stumped, and I don't like the idea of a huge workload making sure abilities are being used correctly.
Kir^Trelander
Expert
Expert

Postby Dowjin on Thu May 01, 2008 6:16 am

Kir^Trelander - "If you've got any ideas on how to solve that problem"

Its really simple, decisive game mechanics shouldn't be based on a player's whim. Instead, work off of an angle you -can- control. Actions that they can sacrifice to appease their god, and conditions that give them a penalty; such as attacking someone who is solely devout to the same faith.

I don't have any specific ideas to PM you, getting sleepy here... But I'm sure you can take it from there.
Dowjin

Re: Paladins: Advantage or Ability Ideas

Postby Shogeton on Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:06 am

Honestly, I'm not asking for too much regarding the powers, but it'd be nice if we could have at least some 'oomph' somewhere to show we're sacred warriors, who DO have the approval of their diety behind them. Even if it's a relatively lame power, I'd still like to have Shogeton call upon Sheara and have shadows darken or... well.. have something happen that tells you that Shogeton isn't the only one staring with hatred at that Torian.

Also, to add a few things, I think I used to post a few ideas on the old forum. But a basic spell, giving a small temporary bonus, but with some 'flashy' effects.

Possibly sacrificing life for greater hurting. This'd fit both 'goodish' and 'evilish' paladins, as sacrifice can both be a noble thing, or cursing your enemy and tearing at your flesh in hatred begging your god for more power to destroy your enemy. Or anything in between.
Shogeton
Adept
Adept

Re: Paladins: Advantage or Ability Ideas

Postby Vladimir on Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:35 pm

Honestly, just give pallys limited access to the divine sphere. How hard is that?
Full fathom five thy father lies; of his bones are coral made; Those are pearls that were his eyes: Nothing of him that doth fade, but doth suffer a sea- change into something rich and strange. Sea-Nymphs hourly ring his knell: Ding-dong, Hark! Now I hear them, - Ding-dong, Bell.
Vladimir
Predominate
Predominate

Return to Archives