The blight History of Dethsiris

Southern Part of the World with a large Ancient City

The blight History of Dethsiris

Postby L`aquera on Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:12 pm

OOC note, for Archaon and those that had been deciphering tomes found, I'm releasing your lore much needed. Archaon can release it to everyone else beyond Deths folks. There are several parts to this but since I'm a story teller at heart, you'll be getting it piece by piece. Enjoy.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

She was cruel. There was no empathy for those that trespassed. Even the trees had gone against them. The very roots dragged from under ground to lash out at what was left of the army they'd brought from a threat they hadn't imagined. The last clutch of women and children found sanction within the mines but even this wasn't safe, the squires hadn't the knowledge to understand and still there was no mercy. What had they done wrong? When had it started? I've asked myself this so many times, only four of us escaped and I am but a scribe. It wasn't without damage. I can't sleep anymore. The riddle has to be solved and now our leaders are demanding a return. Certain they have an answer. Sadly, the answer was right but our tribulations that followed were to judge us all on how very wrong we would be in the end. I am Adrick Onier, last of the scribes in the Year of Goddess, Autumn and I have been bequeathed to leave this history.

Dethsiris was to be our paradise, our King insisted but from the first settlers it was soon apparent that the jungle held secrets. It was wild and humid, we were used to cooler climate and easier living. Oh how we were spoiled with sharp mountain views and the clouds that floated and ebbed like a white sea.

Our troubles didn't begin in the jungles but in the greed of the richness of the mines and strange gems they were plucking from beneath. The larger lizards we often found tracks of were rarely seen and that was to our blessing. Those few that did were horribly injured and our King finally heard his people and sent them out amass to eliminate. They did their jobs but only a few dozen came back. We were safe. That is what we thought. Safe.

We were soon to find out that the Goddess of this region found our intrusive presence to be encroaching on the nature we had just destroyed. It started off as dreams. Our Priest's beset with nightmares and visions for months. We did not heed it until the hunting parties never returned no matter time of day. Our people starved out of fear and it was only a simple soldiers unforgiving nature itself that saved us that day. He refused to simply sit and consider eating what was forbidden. Instead he gathered up a small starved and angered group and used the gems to sweep into the jungle. They did return.

The large cats they brought with them were dark as night but they'd also managed to bring some young ones. It was meat and we ate. The city walls were built higher and more sturdy over time and soon there was an uprising on whom would be King.

Please don't blame us. You see, we had been through to much already, we were peaceful, even those with the Wings thought it better to abandon while we stayed, unable to take to the skies and flee. How I envied them. But promises were made and we were hungry for peace. It could be paradise and yet it was our living, waking nightmare.

~Fin~

Forgive an old man. It is now eight years since my last entry into the tomes and scrolls. Our new King felt the nightmares of the Priests were signs that written scrolls and tomes were aggravating our situation and instead the young ones have been taught by story telling. But I must make sure future generations understand the wonders we've achieved and what our downfall looks like in our age. It is the Year of the God, Summer, one hardly notices the passing of seasons here. It is always warm, humid, raining. We have developed a dome of protection around the city thanks in part to the many gems that were brought up from the mines. Massive pillars of magical energy. Even the big cats have now begun avoiding city to marked paths.

Those that did not and those that we raised and trained, our King has commissioned the magical folk to twist them into something else. Some were our guardians until the leash became to tightly held and they turned on us. Bolting for the safety of jungle and fields. We've learned how to combat them with the very nature around us. The Goddess that once rejected us has slowly begun to ignore our presence. Our Priest says she's accepted us for what we are as long as we follow the rules. But when has man or woman ever kept to rules?

We could no longer hunt the many large predators here but instead were gifted with the smaller deer and hares that had become abundant. Trees of fruit had been cultivated and now had sunk their roots into ground, spreading. Ships began visiting the harbor and trade is established. There are talks of building a bridge from the Gems. I shall revisit this tome again in progress.

Forgive me once more, it has been nearly a year, we have convinced our new ruling Queen that the written words must be kept and were granted. Our King was lost in the making of the bridge but its very beauty seems to draw us all in. Because of its strangeness, new trained mages have been tasked to make objects we can use to control our destinations. Its a wondrous sight but it took time to craft them.

Now we are no longer restricted to this maniacal jungle and yet our Queen refuses to move. We are a rich people now she has insisted. We are the focus of the world. Soon we will have all the tools we need to combat what is outside. Priest's have begun forming and rebuilding once more the Temple we first erected. They have twisted it in the words of the Goddess that resides over this land. We barely recognize what they preach.

I would leave but it is my duty to record all that we have suffered and seen and until I am near death, this is what I will do.

It is Winter. We were required to spend half our year in study of the Goddess. All of us must pray, bring offerings. It has become peaceful as long as we stay within our walls and the Traders come and go at regular points of the year. Have the magical objects driven our Priests and Queen mad? Her personal army she's gathered around in some fit of paranoia. They clutch to sword's, shield, medallions and dagger to ring as if its more important then the people here. They have forsaken the laws of the nature here and think the Goddess isn't all knowing. The winged ones returned. They have been banished for their crimes. What crimes? If not for them would we know of the gems capabilities?
But they are safe, safe from the touch of creeping magic and the eyes of the Goddess. This is the claim but I have no refute upon it. I have seen it with my own eyes. Magic and Godly vision affects them not at all anymore. The people are restless. Many of us have taken up ink to tomes. From flora in the regions to the cats we once twisted with these magic's and gems. I fear greed will be our downfall. Coveting.

~Fin~
Don't breath, don't think.. for I am the shadow that will forever over take you..
L`aquera
High Council
High Council

Return to House of Dethsiris