The Magus Sphere

Reporting problems with the site, the database, your character, the IRC channels etc

Moderators: Stormbringer, Ehlanna

The Magus Sphere

Postby Aeria Nighthawk on Tue May 22, 2018 6:06 am

I will fully admit that the few times I've brought this to the attention of OPs in the past I've done so with a lackluster statement amounting to 'the Magus sphere is broken' which isn't the most useful of phrases nor even very accurate upon closer inspection.

That said, while the OOB and Anywhere spells were ported over in their entirety, there are a few combat spells whose names made the transfer from the Dev team to the site but whose new descriptions and mechanics did not. This leaves those few spells in a very weird state of having names that are obviously not paired properly with the description and mechanics displayed.

Below is the list of spells I noted to have this problem as well as my vague recollection of what they are supposed to do:

Aurora: The mechanics even refers to the old "shield of winds" spell that was removed. This spell is supposed to function as the ranged shield counterpart to Nebula (which does display proper mechanics.) Of all the issues with the sphere, this is the greatest as it cuts the main magical-based defense options available to the sphere in half.

Mystic's Trance: I remember there being some argument about the mechanics for this spell. It was supposed to be a variable percentage buff to attacks for some number of rounds at the cost of increased stamina. I don't remember the exact values we finally settled on but the mechanics, as they are currently displayed, clearly are for one of the old Magi spells.

Tether of the Stars: I -think- this spell was supposed to function similarly to the Air Sphere Lightning Bind spell... but I honestly don't recall. I think, much like with Mystic's Trance, there was a lot of argument to the mechanics of the spell. Regardless it's called Tether of the Stars and it reads as though the caster uses it to start a mud ball fight... so... yeah... :lol:

That's all the errors I saw. Hopefully, the old posts still exist and the mechanics and descriptions can be placed on the site appropriately. I would link the spells if I could, but I no longer have access to the Dev section of the boards.

Thanks!
Aeria Nighthawk
Predominate
Predominate

Re: The Magus Sphere

Postby Aeria Nighthawk on Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:45 pm

I truly don't mean to pester, but the defensive spells granted to the magus sphere are pretty limited and having Aurora's mechanics and description still set to the old shield of wind spells is rather hurting my ability to use Aeria in combat. I care far less about Mystic's Trance and Tether of the Stars, both of which would be nice to have fixed, but are not critical. A quick search through the boards found me this thread: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=16999 but the link within it to the spells themselves leads nowhere. Without access to the Dev boards I have to go from memory but here is my best shot.

For reference, here is nebula:

Nebula:
Class required: Magi
Race required: Magi
Casting method: other
Defending method: none

Description: The second of the Magi's most commonly used defensive spells is known as Nebula. Utilizing their aura the magi creates a very slight, hazy illusion about their form. As they move their body blurs, leaving behind a hazy afterimage. The closer someone comes to the Magi, the harder it is to tell precisely where they are. At range the effect is so minimal that it is entirely ineffective.

MECHANICS: This spell only takes one round to cast and lasts for one turn for every slot put into it. The spell costs one stamina for every slot put into the spell used. The caster gains +1 defense against close physical and close magical attacks for every slot put into this spell. This spell may stack with Aurora and any regular defensive enchantments.

Here is Aurora as it currently appears on the boards:

Aurora:
Casting method: clomagatk
Defending method: clomagdef

Description: Level: Magi X1 ::

Close combat will always occur; some drunk at the bar doesn't like you staring at his Vixen and will throw a punch. Most oft, despite the Magis inherent flow of agility, those wings come at a disadvantage within close quarters and over the centuries the Magi have found a way to help cushion the blow and get the time they need to back away from their enemy. Drawing their wings in a snapping fashion forwards, the sound is like the crack of a whip and fashions a pocket of air in front of them as words of their spell quickly drip from their lips. It won't always stop that fist flying at them, but it will cushion the worse of the blow. Effective indeed when there's nowhere to fly.

MECHANICS:: This only takes one round to cast and come into effect and lasts 1 round per slots put into the spell. The wings snap forward to send air curling in front of them like a sharp breeze, spell is vocally spoken and the very air they stirred will act as a cushion to the blow. At times completely absorbing any physical action made against them to as well saving the Magi from most of the damage.
For every 1 point put into the spell the Magis shield can absorb 1 point of damage done. ::

(EXAMPLE:) Bob the barbarian draws his sword and slashes at Marge the Magi. Marge throws up Shield of the winds. Both go to dice, a typical !clophyatk vs !clophydef roll is made. Bob the barbarian rolls 20, Marge the Magi rolls 15, but she put six slots into her spell. Her defense roll would have gained her five damage, but her shield saved her by six points so no damage is had. Next Round, Bob the Barbarian smacks at her again, this time his roll is 25. Marge the Magi rolls her defense and only gets 12. With her six slots into the spell she absorbed six points of that damage and will take the other six points damage.

Again, the spell even refers to itself as shield of winds in the mechanics and the description.

Here is what Aurora should be, to the best of my recollection:

Aurora:
Casting method: other
Defending method: none

Description: The primary spell Magi use for defense is known as Aurora. With the casting of this spell the Magi's aura grows and expands outwards about them into a dome (or sphere if they are flying) that both slows and diverts projectiles and ranged-based magics that enter it. Individuals within the dome itself are unaffected by this effect and can physically attack the Magi or use close-ranged magics without impediment.

MECHANICS: This spell only takes one round to cast and lasts for one turn for every slot put into it. The spell costs one stamina for every slot put into the spell used. The caster gains +1 defense against ranged physical and ranged magical attacks for every slot put into this spell. This spell may stack with Nebula and any regular defensive enchantments.
Aeria Nighthawk
Predominate
Predominate

Postby miyuka on Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:26 am

I'll try and get things fixed, not sure what happened with this.
miyuka

Postby Aeria Nighthawk on Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:08 am

Thank you Yuka!
Aeria Nighthawk
Predominate
Predominate

Return to Problems