Half-Breed Character Question

Reporting problems with the site, the database, your character, the IRC channels etc

Moderators: Stormbringer, Ehlanna

Half-Breed Character Question

Postby Kalrisi on Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:04 pm

Hi!

So I had a question, (and it does apply to my character, sorry!). But it also made me realize that this is a bit unclear regarding anyone making a bi-racial/half-breed/hybrid or however you would perceive your mixed blood characters.

The site clearly states that starting Half-breed Races can be:
Human, Elf, Sheyka, The Tribe, or Cat Person

Then it states the following as Secondary Races that can be taken:
Human, Elf, Cat Person, Torian, Chirot, Goblin, Dwarf, Halfling, Vulpine, Wolven

Now, where this gets a bit confusing for me... is that some of the 'starter' races, cannot be 'secondary' races. Specifically - Sheyka and The Tribe.

I had this issue when getting my character approved, because I wanted to be 'Sheyka' as my 'Secondary' race, which would not affect my character outside of physical aesthetics, not actual traits, abilities etc.

What I wonder is if there was a better way of clarifying, or if perhaps this is a little outdated? To my knowledge, this has been the list for -years- and has not been reassessed. After all, you can take the race: Amahil or Barbarian which are categorized under Human like The Tribe, but technically separate on character creation. Does this matter? Is this also acceptable for 'half-breed/bi-racial/hybrid' character creation?

Obviously this is not a -huge- concern, because it does not dramatically affect anything in game play. All it does is affect how Characters are approved by those that can approve character registrations, which understandably, they go -directly- based on the site's information.

I also bring this up, because I did not realize this and upon getting 'approved' with my character, I was told to change my background to reflect the rules (which is not me complaining! I hope I was respectful in consenting and following the instructions given). But I am wondering if I need to do a Character Reset to change my 'Starter Race' to Sheyka, and my secondary to 'Human' to reflect what I want for my character, or if this matters at all.

**As a note, my character is an Artisan, and would stay so, regardless of Starter Race.
Kalrisi
Novice
Novice

Re: Half-Breed Character Question

Postby Stormbringer on Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:42 pm

Any variant of human can be a starter or secondary half. Just as any variety of elf can be.
I think a reset would be your best option but in view of your confusion, it won't be classed as one of your three freebies.
--------------
Charm’d magic casements, opening on the foam
Of perilous seas, in faery lands forlorn

(John Keats)
Check your baggage at the door and bring some magic through your
window onto the world of Belariath
Stormbringer
High Council
High Council

Return to Problems