I want my character to gain this power later on, is it ok?

Questions and suggestions that don't fit anywhere else in this area.

Moderators: Stormbringer, Ehlanna

I want my character to gain this power later on, is it ok?

Postby Vospader21 on Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:32 am

Hi I'm new here. I'm in the process of creating a thief character but with a twist, this thief has had his dominant right hand cut off. So he goes on a process to learn how to steal with his left hand. Eventually (much later after development leveling up and proper storytelling of course) he gains a magical power called phantom hand (or shadow hand, it's a working title), which is basically a magical hand that remains invisible until its used. The phantom hand can extend and expand. It can be used to grab objects in short distance, expand for some wicked powerful punches, be used to swing and climb, and a host of other useful functions. Now here's the thing obviously something like this would fall under the category of magic, but I see that the thief class is categorized as a physical class. Does this mean that characters in physical class cannot learn any type of magic at all?

Also how original is my idea? Has someone already thought of it and has it already been implemented in the game?

Or is this a new idea? From what I've seen so far, things are very well organized here, but also somewhat restrictive. Do we need to get special approval from admins to come up with new types of magic? Or is the forum completely closed to new magics?
Vospader21
Novice
Novice

Re: I want my character to gain this power later on, is it o

Postby lyllamarie on Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:34 am

It's not a known skill or power; so to gain it, you'd need a special item, which can be earned through planning and running a submitted and approved quest, until then, with only one hand, your character will suffer mechanical disadvantages in combat situations.
lyllamarie
High Council
High Council

Postby Vospader21 on Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:55 am

It gets even worse, my character is also malnourished from the start. So if trouble arises he'll have trouble running away. Hey do bonds like friendship and brotherhood occur in Belariath?
Vospader21
Novice
Novice

Postby Logolar on Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:59 pm

Well you'll be starting at level one so you'll have issues fighting pretty much anybody, but Belariath society is different. Read this and you'll understand a little bit more; http://belariath.com/empire/personalhonor.html It should be rare for people to stick up for you. The only people that will stick up for you are your Mate or Master/Mistress. Other people can interfere, but it's not an automatic thing. OOC consent has to be received in order to do anything. It's a darker world with less of our Real Life moralities.
The player of: Gravik, Falador, and logolar.
Logolar
Expert
Expert

Postby Shogeton on Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:01 am

Also, Magic is actually pretty common, and even physical characters (except the warlord) start off with some 'utility' spells like mend, clean, warm and such. Though few of them are directly useful in combat. New magic is not a thing that happens easily. If you want special stuff for your character, there are possibilities for items of power, depending on what exactly you want to accomplish. From what I read, the item would basicaly be a hand with a few extra abilities without too much combat advantage, so I could see it approved as an 'item
Shogeton
Adept
Adept

Postby Vospader21 on Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:40 am

Shogeton wrote:Also, Magic is actually pretty common, and even physical characters (except the warlord) start off with some 'utility' spells like mend, clean, warm and such. Though few of them are directly useful in combat. New magic is not a thing that happens easily. If you want special stuff for your character, there are possibilities for items of power, depending on what exactly you want to accomplish. From what I read, the item would basicaly be a hand with a few extra abilities without too much combat advantage, so I could see it approved as an 'item

Actually I plan for it to be used as a real weapon. I changed the design and gave it a back story and everything.
Vospader21
Novice
Novice

Postby Vospader21 on Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:42 am

Logolar wrote:Well you'll be starting at level one so you'll have issues fighting pretty much anybody, but Belariath society is different. Read this and you'll understand a little bit more; http://belariath.com/empire/personalhonor.html It should be rare for people to stick up for you. The only people that will stick up for you are your Mate or Master/Mistress. Other people can interfere, but it's not an automatic thing. OOC consent has to be received in order to do anything. It's a darker world with less of our Real Life moralities.

Can I get maybe a mentor? Someone to show my character a few trick to survive?
Vospader21
Novice
Novice

Postby Vospader21 on Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:12 am

Right now I have two arcs in mind for my character. I should apologize in advance, I know I'm new here, I haven't actually started playing yet so I've got no right to be going ahead thinking of plot lines. I know I have to earn my chops first but when I signed up my imagination started running and I ended up thinking about stories that I wanted to play. I'm gonna post them here. Can you let me know what the odds are of me getting them approved are?

Oh my char's name is Alturo BTW. He's 18, and he had his right hand cut off when he got caught pick pocketing.

Alturo's story arc.
Arc 1: Learning to survive
Alturo is trying to hold his own with only one hand. Eventually he gets skilled enough with his left hand to be competent thief. He also learns how to read and write, and how to throw knives.

Questions: Is knife throwing allowed? Also can I earn exp for making personal progress in my character's character? Like learning how to read and write. Because I imagine that in a fantasy world like Belariath illiteracy would be a common thing, so personal improvements like educating yourself could be considered an actual achievement. Actually I was kind of hoping Alturo could get a mentor for this arc.

Arc 2: The Black Hand
Alturo encounters a magical researcher of a sort who claims he can give him a new hand that functions like a normal one would. The hand is made of newly discovered "Black Material" that the research describes as a cross between clay and flesh. When he attaches the new hand to Alturo it takes to him like a parasite. The new hand ends up consuming his arm all the way up to his forearm, taking it over until his arm is made of the same black material. He discovers that the new hand has a versatile range of functions. It can extend short distances, useful for climbing, pick pocketing, swinging, and any other situation where I long reach may be useful. It can also expand so that it's large enough to land very powerful punches, be used as a mid-sized, to give temporary enhanced strength to pull and push large heavy objects such as boulders and people. The fingers on the hand are pointed and sharp like claws, so it can be used as a weapon. It's a very versatile tool, but not without cost. The black material needs to be fed blood, any sort of blood will do so long as its warm, human blood works best though. Alturo has to feed it the blood of his enemies, or it will start consuming the blood from his body. Once he masters it, he gains the title Alturo of the Black-Hand.

Arc 3: Black Materials
Afterwards items made of the Black Material get very popular, weapons and items made off it are all the rage. They get so dangerous in fact that the empire declares them illegal and anyone caught with a Black Item is punished. This makes Alturo a wanted man.

Notes: So before I was planning to make the hand sort of like a transparent magical hand unique to Alturo. But then I decided to go a level darker. So I made it into a physical item that anyone can actually see and touch with a versatile range of functions both in and out of combat. Of course I understand that such an item would give Alturo some unique advantages, hence the 3rd arc in which items made of the same material as his hand become somewhat widespread so that he's not the only one who has something like it. Other players could take to it, or I could just have it done by NPC's the whole time. And then went a step further when the Empire makes it illegal and he becomes a target.

Alright so that's basically what I want to do. Now to be sure these are just ideas that I have. Like I said before I know full well that I need to earn the respect of the community before I can start making special requests. The first arc alone will likely take several months to complete. So let's assume that about 5-6 months have passed since I started playing, and I've made all the right impressions (speaking of which how am I doing of that?). What are my odds of getting this approved?
Vospader21
Novice
Novice

Postby Logolar on Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:07 pm

Illiteracy is very common. In fact you have to spend skill slots in order to be able to read and write. XP doesn't really work like that. You go into channel and you RP and somehow you level up as you play more and more. Arc 1; Knife throwing is allowed and you can of course get people to teach you. You'll have to hop into IRC in order to do so though. ((Edit; Healing the hand would cost like 20 mhl. So your character could have a new hand with the starting cash that you have and plenty left over))

Act two: You're not getting the concept of the setting man. It's fine for you to want to play without a hand, but you are not automatically going to get another weapon to replace it. Heck, we have magic to regrow hands. That is much easier then making a whole new item, but we do have IoP. They are earned through serious contribution to he game in a form of quest or other work. IoP are RP effects usually though. They do not really add to combat effectiveness. We do have items that enhance combat, but those are earned after a long time in game.

Act Three: Any new material goes through a long process to get approved. Not just if you want an IoP. If you would like to contribute a material you would have to do a write up, and it's not likely that many will care about your black hand. There are simply more dangerous things out there. Heck, Fire mages can level a town based on their level. So think of it that way. I understand what you're trying to do, but this setting is not really one of those were everyone gets special items and such. Everyone can, but they are meant more towards RP and enhancing the character not making them all powerful. So please look over the main site. Look at the spells, classes, races and read the rules. A lot of stuff you are asking is answered there.
The player of: Gravik, Falador, and logolar.
Logolar
Expert
Expert

Postby Cangelosi on Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:16 am

Vospader21 wrote:Right now I have two arcs in mind for my character. I should apologize in advance, I know I'm new here, I haven't actually started playing yet so I've got no right to be going ahead thinking of plot lines. I know I have to earn my chops first but when I signed up my imagination started running and I ended up thinking about stories that I wanted to play. I'm gonna post them here. Can you let me know what the odds are of me getting them approved are?

As admirable as it is to have a full-length back-story ready to go, I'm going to suggest that it may be best for you to do two things before continuing:

First, head to the sorcery.net channel and look up our OOC channel. You might have to PM one of the ops to explain you're a new player and maybe redirect them to one of your early threads, but I cannot stress enough that the IRC channel is a quicker way to get all the info you need than through the MB.

Second, read Stepping Out In Belariath, which is one of the starting guides to the site, and is more guided towards introducing a new character into the roleplay world. Sure, it's kind of a cheap shill of some old work I did when I was starting out too, but you'll find it just as relevant today as it was back when, even if it doesn't really discuss spells, items, and whatnot and is more into the freeform aspect and more importantly, how much backstory is enough to start your first char.
-post presented by the actual mun of characters Morgan Drakewing and Arnoch Bretail-
Cangelosi
Adept
Adept

Postby Vospader21 on Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:04 am

Eh, I figured it would be too much of a stretch to use here. Sorry my imagination likes to run away. I'll stow this idea away for something else later. In the meantime, I got to get around to actually starting playing.
Vospader21
Novice
Novice

Return to General Questions and Suggestions