Healer Rezzing herbs and ritual

Questions and suggestions that don't fit anywhere else in this area.

Moderators: Stormbringer, Ehlanna

Healer Rezzing herbs and ritual

Postby Lindor on Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:05 pm

Amara and I have been looking over this post by gwyneth, of an example healer rez: http://belariath.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=136&t=12423#p83875 and were discussing it...

We noticed that gwyn includes Nightshade in her original mixture (found at the Silent Embrace), and then Sage is added after the rest is mixed with wine or blood, before drawing the eye. On closer inspection, I can see that Holy water is not even mentioned (this question came up when Lindor was learning rez, as to whether or not the water in the Brazier of Healing Waters is considered "holy" -- as the HH is not a temple).

We were wondering about this, because gwyn's description does not align with the way we were taught.

I personally was thinking that it'd be nice to include Nightshade in the ritual, because it would make finding all the ingredients for a Rez a little more of a treasure hunt, and send people to the SE (which doesn't get a lot of action these days). On the flipside of that, we'd need some more employees at the SE because Lindor can't sell Nightshade to herself. :lol:
Lindor

Re: Healer Rezzing herbs and ritual

Postby Amara on Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:12 pm

On that same token, it's my understanding that slaves cannot purchase poison's without gaining the consent from their Masters. Not sure if that applies to concubines as well.

4 of the herbs are found at the Apothecary. Why not move Nightshade over there and just make it easier?

I understand the reasoning behind including a TOXIC herb in the healing rezzing but in our magical world here.. I don't know if it's really needed at all in the rezzing BUT, if it's still wanted - a more subdue version of it could be sold at the Apothecary so that slaves and concubines alike, could purchase it without needing to get permission.
Avatar courtesy of: Lucky/Isilindil: viewtopic.php?p=136186#p136186

"If my heart could beat, it'd beat for you." Valley of Silence

"And yet you did not chose me blindly. Certain expectations were aroused.
Let's not be coy; you were hoping I would satisfy all the desires you're
too shy to name, or at least show you a good time." The Crimson Petal and the White
Amara
Predominate
Predominate

Postby miyuka on Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:26 pm

it does not apply to concubines. Concubines are pretty much free people. Just a very special relationship. Those in society might treat them as dirt though.

The nightshade is used in the ritual as that is part of the mixture to draw the eye on your forehead which was what we did when we were taught the ritual. The water within the braziers are not holy in the sense that they are divine (though one could say they are). They are magically enchanted waters that serve the purpose (for the most part) for the spell Anchored Savior:

Within the Healing House lay a brazier of good size, its waters of purity and enchanted. Each healer that reaches a higher level of calling within the house is given a small container to hang around their necks, filled with this purified water. With but a word to trigger the enchanted purified water, the Healer and perhaps one wounded victim they are taking care of can be 'blinked or teleported' to this sacred anchored room where safety lay for both. Since the healer takes up neither weapon nor armor, they are left with so very little to defend themselves and the one they heal.. but safety measures have now been taken. Let the Healer whom uses this beware however, for this is very stamina draining.

If one is doing the rezzing at the HH itself it would be safe to assume that the HH has at least some of the stuff in stock. Someone could have bought extra or a Noble could have spent some of their vast riches stocking the place. I would -not- want to release any restrictions in place on slaves over this. It is simply another dis-advantage to being a slave that one would have to ask permission to gain the nightshade needed to mix their own version of the concoction.

I felt as if the ritual was taught to us in a manner that fit gwyns write up. Breena just never directly mentioned what was in the mixture.

<Bree{Solo}> 106=^;^= watching the women as they worked their magics on the poor dead Phil. "Very gooood.. Okaaay, now caan you tell me what yous think may happen next? He's been cleaaaned and healed.. He's deadeded and its youus jooob to bring him baack. What do you thinks we need? Please look over at the table.." the table was near her, to the left, so it would be to their right. On it sat the Mortar And Pestle, a 106=^;
<Bree{Solo}> 106=^;^= bottle of wine, a bowl of holy water and four vials that were filled with various herbs along with five pretty baskets that were overflowing with goodies. 106

<Bree{Solo}> 106=^;^= the body and prepare it and ask the God or Goddess to bleeesss us. We callss it Purifying the Form. It cleanses us and it cleanses the deceased. Youuus can develop your own way of doing it so long as its done.. Please waatch me.." and with that, the Pixie would turn to the table and take up the Mortar And Pestle, inside the women would see that the Pixie had already, while they were mingling 106=^;^=
<Bree{Solo}> 106=^;^= about making introductions, assembled the herbs and wine and had mixed it. She gave another good stirring of the concoction and then dipped her finger into it. "The eye is the symbol for the window to the soul.." she whispered as she leaned over Phil and drew a picture of an eye on his forehead. Then, she did one on her own forehead and offered the bowl over to Lindor. "Now, please draw an eye 106=^;^
<Bree{Solo}> 106=^;^= on each others forehead.." 106

<Bree{Solo}> (Ladies, I said the first step was called Purifying the Form. I apologize, lol, so use to Amara rezzing .. for Healer's it's called: Linking the Bodies)

<Bree{Solo}> Once the women had painted the eye on their foreheads, Breena would take back the bowl and set it on the table. "We now need to draw from our own strength, using our innerness desires to make that link." Since they were Healers and not of the Divine, they had no God or Goddess to call upon and would have to push themselves to form that connection. "We must use our bodies to make that anchor and 106=^;^=
<Bree{Solo}> 106=^;^= bind ourselves with it so as to make a tether.." her one hand would rest on Phil's chest while the other went to the top of his head. "See?" she'd murr to them. "Touch him here and here and then call 'pon your inner magic and make that bond.." her aura would begin to flicker, a pinkish glow. "Go .. on.. you try.." she said to them both. 106
miyuka

Postby Lindor on Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:20 pm

Thank you, Yuka, for clarifying about concubines not having the same restrictions as slaves.

And, just to clarify my original post -- I am quite happy with the method Breena taught -- She had showed gwyn's post to me a few days ago and was asking what I thought about the Nightshade-- because we didn't use it and she said it wasn't in the rez class that she took.

A minor detail, to be sure... just mentioned it because it was a question we both had.
Lindor

Postby miyuka on Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:26 pm

I understand what you mean Lindor. What I'm trying to say is that it isn't necessary. The mixture of herbs with liquid (wine) is necessary, the rezzing sage, the rezzing basil, and the IOP are necessary. The rest is up to you so long as you follow the steps in your IOP in the proper order and have the necessary amount of stamina.
miyuka

Postby Amara on Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:31 pm

As Yuka stated, folks can adlib and fine tune their ritual as to how they see fit. I'm just not going to provide the Nightshade in the complimentary gift baskets that Breena purchases and gives to her students. We'll just assume that IT'S already there at the healing house along with the charcoal, etc.
Avatar courtesy of: Lucky/Isilindil: viewtopic.php?p=136186#p136186

"If my heart could beat, it'd beat for you." Valley of Silence

"And yet you did not chose me blindly. Certain expectations were aroused.
Let's not be coy; you were hoping I would satisfy all the desires you're
too shy to name, or at least show you a good time." The Crimson Petal and the White
Amara
Predominate
Predominate

Postby Lindor on Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:34 pm

Sounds good to me! :D
Lindor

Postby Lindor on Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:42 pm

Noticed yesterday that The Works sells Cedar Oil (for resurrections) in 10 dose vials. I'll probably end up doing gwyn's method--

1. Cleanse the body with cedar oil and marjoram (preparing pathway for spirit to return)
2. Make mixture of basil, myrrh, nightshade, and sage wet with wine in charcoal base (broken up charcoal pencil, found at GS) -- for drawing the eye to protect healer from malignant spirits.
3. Linking the Bodies
4. Calling the Spirit
5. Gift of Life
6. Wiping the eye away so spirit does not slip back through.
7. Cure the Senses
8. Food and rest for healer and recently deceased.

Using this post as reference: http://belariath.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=136&t=12423#p83875
Lindor

Postby miyuka on Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:15 pm

I don't know why the works would be selling anything Rezzing related You may wanna check on that before you go buying it. There's already the sage and the basil. if you want to use oil in your own ritual, that is fine but I've already listed the requirements so there's no need to add to or take away from such. your 8 steps are fine to use during your ritual.
miyuka

Postby Tehya on Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:23 pm

Just curious, from what I know from gardening nightshade is poisonous. Yes I know its fantasy but would an herb that (The generic name of the plant, Atropa, is derived from the Greek Atropos, one of the Fates who held the shears to cut the thread of human life - a reference to its deadly, poisonous nature) be included in a rezzing ritual?

In character with the Slaver's consent one of my slaves has been picking it in a story-line.
Tehya

Postby Lindor on Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:27 pm

Taking it a piece at a time:

Cedar Oil 10 dose vial 15.00 0 For resurrections or furniture polish
(Scroll down to "Misc.) http://www.belariath.com/php/shop/ah.php

Deadly Nightshade (for resurrections) 90.00 0 Category: 1 Type: Contact Form: Dried leaves, stems and roots Activation Time: One round Cure Level: Healer x1 Special Uses: Key herb in healer rezz ritual.
http://www.belariath.com/php/shop/se.php

These components make sense to my mind, because in RL "alternative" or "spiritual" medicine, shamanic medicine, administering poison in a small dose to a severely affected body can have the "opposite" effect that it would on a healthy body. Even in modern Western medicine, small amounts of poison are used as "key ingredients."

IRL, Essential oils (like cedar) are used to remove infections and "cleanse," (as gwyn states).

I understand that current Op ruling states these components are not necessary in game, I only mention them because I suspect that gwyn was the one who researched healer Rez into being at Unigo, and knowing something of her thorough dedication to this game, I imagine it was well thought out.

In addition to this, the Nightshade and Cedar Oil, in their respective price lists on Belariath.com, clearly state their special use as for Rez. This, to my mind, is a clue that there was originally a more intricate design for this process-- One that may have been lost when the player of gwyn was unexpectedly yanked from the game due to serious RL medical issues.
Lindor

Postby lyllamarie on Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:55 pm

Cedar oil just needs to be added to apoth list and it's recommended a 'kit' be made with all ingredients to sell at either location for convenience.
lyllamarie
High Council
High Council

Postby Lindor on Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:03 pm

Another thought... Cedar oil IRL is an astringent that would remove bacteria growing on the body... (which happens on a dead'un)... Hence the 'cleansing' portion...
Lindor

Postby miyuka on Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:05 am

I'm confused on what this conversation is about now.
miyuka

Postby Lindor on Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:41 pm

Started out as "general questions" and evolved into "general suggestions." Just sharing my thoughts out loud, not expecting any particular result. :D I'm done now, thank you everyone, for the answers and input.
Lindor

Next

Return to General Questions and Suggestions