Racial Skills

Questions and suggestions that don't fit anywhere else in this area.

Moderators: Stormbringer, Ehlanna

Racial Skills

Postby Kooky on Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:05 am

If it's alright, I was wondering if I could take it upon myself to do a small writeup on Race Skills to pend approval? I ask, because I want to know if the idea is okay before I start putting work into it. No point in putting work into something that's not even a possibility. Currently there is a link for such on each Race page, but the link is dead. It has been since I started playing here.

I would like to suggest every Race gets one inherent Unranked Skill and one Ranked Skill (Novice) that they can then choose to upgrade or not. These are given, and do not count towards the 5 we get to select at Character Creation.

Halfbreed Rules: Halfbreeds are limited to ONE unranked skill and ONE ranked skill from their parents. They cannot have two ranked skills or two unranked. The one they choose should best fit what they are and what bets fits the society they were raised in. Races raised by other races do not get the racial skills.

Other races cannot ever have the Unranked Skill. It is something they are born with, not taught.
Ranked Skills can ONLY be learned by other races if 1) the teacher is a MASTER of the skill and the required race and 2) With logged lessons for learning and advancing the skill and 3) They have mastered the Common Counterpart of the skill. Example, a human sculptor cannot start learning Dwarven Craft until they have mastered their Sculpting Skill, to be able to learn the new style. They will also need a dwarven teacher who has mastered the Dwarven Craft.

See my example below..

Dwarves
Unranked Skill:
Dwarven Masonry - The inherent skill to recognize a sound structured rock from a faulty one and use it, as well as place it for best result and function.
Ranked Skill:
Dwarven Craft (Common Skill version: metal smithing or sculpting)
This skill applies a style or design to items. It does not allow the production of said items, but rather improves upon items that the crafter is able to make, making the item more valuable as well as the crafter's time.
Novice - Simple items by the crafter hold reminiscent style of Dwarven make.
Apprentice - Basic items hold true to the Dwarven Style and other works are holding trace of Dwarven heritage.
Journeyman - Weaponry now carries Dwarven design as is learned from Dwarven Forges.
Expert - The crafter's work is seen as true Dwarven Craft, increasing its value and speaking of years of practice and talent.
Master - Crafted goods now hold the make, design and style of a true Master of Dwarven Craft, and can fit in to any Dwarven Hall or company on proud display or use. If a Dwarf, the Master may teach others Dwarven Craft.
Dev Team Member | Manager of the Bazaar (Lumio) | Assistant Manager of the Arena (Lumio) | Assistant Manager of the General Store (Spotzen Strype) | Manager of Chocolates 2 Cherish (Calvan) | Assistant Manager of the Siren's Call (Sammy)

Most known characters - Lumio, Misk, Rumplelynx, Moxie Fink, and Icki
Kooky
Predominate
Predominate

Re: Racial Skills

Postby lyllamarie on Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:42 pm

upon race review certain races already get inherent skills, not all, but some, based upon their make-up:

Example

Dwarves

Craftsmanship:
When the Worldsmith crafted them, he imbued them with an sense of the nature of the worlds building materials. When a dwarf, their entire life spent learning the intricacies of their trade, works on a project, their skill and love for their work is easily seen in it. As such, a dwarf is often considered to be a master of their profession far earlier than others, and when they finally master their craft, the works they produce are nearly unrivalled.
OOC: Work produced by Dwarves is often considered above what their current level in a skill would indicate, but does not quite reach the next level of skill. When they have reached the Master Level of Their specified Craft, the Dwarf may opt to gain an Arch Master level in the same skill by spending the necessary ranked point and may be used towards pay in a relevant field. Once Arch Master has been applied, it can not be used with any other material; Applies to Brewing, Carpentry, Leatherworking, Metal Smith, Stonework, Mining.
lyllamarie
High Council
High Council

Postby Kooky on Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:26 pm

But that's a Racial Advantage, not an actual racial skill.

The only reason I really suggest racial skills for every race, is that there's a "Skills" link on every Race page, and it makes sense for each race to have birth-given skills that no other race has, ones that don't require certain levels or levels of skill. Instead, they pick out aspects from the info on the race and are basically one-word cues on things that race can do and is known for.

If anything, there could be a few Unranked racial skills that can count. Like "Balance" for catpeople as example.
Dev Team Member | Manager of the Bazaar (Lumio) | Assistant Manager of the Arena (Lumio) | Assistant Manager of the General Store (Spotzen Strype) | Manager of Chocolates 2 Cherish (Calvan) | Assistant Manager of the Siren's Call (Sammy)

Kooky
Predominate
Predominate

Postby lyllamarie on Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:13 pm

The advantage already takes the place of the skill, which was derived from 'special skills and abilities' from the old write up.

Honestly while I won't deter you from undertaking this on your own, I can already see some overlap and redundancies from class skills.

For now, there are other things that Dev needs to focus on, such as current races, classes, spells and hopefully maybe even physical class skills.
lyllamarie
High Council
High Council

Postby Kooky on Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:45 pm

I have a lot to offer to those too. I'll be working towards them, and have these other things as side projects. I just only wanted to go forward with it if there was interest, that's all.

Kooky
Predominate
Predominate

Return to General Questions and Suggestions