Reincarnation.

Questions and suggestions that don't fit anywhere else in this area.

Moderators: Stormbringer, Ehlanna

Reincarnation.

Postby Infernis on Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:37 am

I was just spit-balling ideas in the OOC the other day and I remembered how earlier versions of the old D&D stuff had a spell called Reincarnation.

Like a Resurrection, only the Reincarnated one would come back as a new race, often at random.

I was thinking, it might make for a good 'OPTIONAL' possibility for people who die in TLI.

Instead of being brought back to life with a Resurrection, they get 'Reincarnated' with a new race chosen at random at Level 1...with all the memories of their previous character.

It's just an idea. What do you think?

~I~
Infernis
Predominate
Predominate

Re: Reincarnation.

Postby Marren on Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:47 am

I said it when you threw the idea out in OOC, I think it's a great idea, especially as an OPTIONAL alternative to the resurrection.
I love it, really. Maybe have the memories come back as fragments throughout the characters life?

On the flip side though... reincarnation is a soul passing out of one life as it ends, and into a new one as it begins... aka when the life is born. Process repeats until the soul has learned all of the lessons life has to offer. The only drawback is this one point as far as I could see.
But then again... I'm not the ones you gotta convince :-P anyway, I think it's brilliant all around, and if the whole birth - 18 yrs old age can be looked over or skipped somehow (perhaps a body that has no soul inside... a coma victim or something like that?) I'd love to see this IC.
Marren, Eolande Keita, Daynar Roke, Syl`Zhalti, Severus
Marren
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Tawny on Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:30 am

I really like this idea and Marren maybe it could be tweaked abit and instead of it being reincarnation so to speak maybe it can be an option by the player and during a resurrection souls get switched and called back to the wrong bodies. That takes away the birth to 18 years old factor and still leaves Infernis excellent Idea viable and playable. Sounds like fun to me. Does it have to be a permanent thing? Hmm maybe the two souls would need to find their real bodies and see if there is a way to switch back to their real bodies. Just my idea on that wonderful idea Infernis.
Tawny

Postby miyuka on Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:35 pm

Technically it's something that -can- be done but it's by a case by case basis and if you've good enough reason to do so. Generally, from what I can tell (as it's not something I have too much control over) is that if you want to play different race and what not, you should just make a new character, and of course you get to keep your levels, but this whole thing of starting at level 1 and choosing at random after your char dies, while I can't see it being a more permanent kind of thing (who knows SB may like the idea after all), I think you could do it if you were to just delete your previous character, make a new one roll a random race via the choose option from des or rolling a d14 (I think we have 14 races). It'd be the having the memories part that -might- be sketchy. I'd say check with Ehl and/or L.
miyuka

Postby L`aquera on Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:21 pm

I don't 'dislike' the idea, however.. it doesn't need to be a 'rule'. Its already a choice you have upon coming here. Story lines and what not, not withstanding. However.. the memory thing is.. super sketchy. We get enough of a squeamish feel when folks rp out two personalities as if one half can go raze down the inn and the other says "That wasn't me! It was the one armed man!" I think.. as Yuka stated, if you so wish, go ahead and delete and remake but the memory thing well, I think such things would have to go through SB for approval.
Don't breath, don't think.. for I am the shadow that will forever over take you..
L`aquera
High Council
High Council

Postby Stormbringer on Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:04 am

I don't quite see the logic of this. Reincarnation implies a loss of all previous memories and a rebirth. So a) you would reincarnate as a child and have to create a backstory of a life up to at least age 18. b) you might not like the race and abandon the character and c) given that, if you want a situation where your old character is not rezzed and you want a new level one character, why not just create one and call it a reincarnation without needing a spell for it? If you want uncertainty, write the races on bits of paper and pick one at random.
--------------
Charm’d magic casements, opening on the foam
Of perilous seas, in faery lands forlorn

(John Keats)
Check your baggage at the door and bring some magic through your
window onto the world of Belariath
Stormbringer
High Council
High Council

Postby Farvel on Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:26 am

Stormbringer wrote:if you want a situation where your old character is not rezzed and you want a new level one character, why not just create one and call it a reincarnation without needing a spell for it?

Interesting, that kind of begs the question: are we allowed to claim in the characer background that they are reincarnations of previous characters?
Farvel
Predominate
Predominate

Postby Stormbringer on Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:34 am

You can claim the character has disturbing dreams and flashbacks but cannot assume previous relationships, feuds etc.
--------------
Charm’d magic casements, opening on the foam
Of perilous seas, in faery lands forlorn

(John Keats)
Check your baggage at the door and bring some magic through your
window onto the world of Belariath
Stormbringer
High Council
High Council

Return to General Questions and Suggestions