Player input to the website

Questions and suggestions that don't fit anywhere else in this area.

Moderators: Stormbringer, Ehlanna

Player input to the website

Postby Naomh on Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:06 pm

Similar to the 'Player input to development' thread, this thread is for those that have questions, critiques, thoughts, suggestions, corrections, rants, raves, general input to the design, layout and contents of the website. While posting here is of course not a guarantee that the item brought up will be changed, it will be of help to have others help guide us toward what may or may not be issues with our website.
Avatar courtesy of: Lucky/Isilindil : http://belariath.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=136186#p136186
Team member of: Dev, SI, Quest, Ops
Manager of: Sorcerous Sanctuary (Anaya), Unigo (Headmistress - Keani), Lodge of Strength (Head Priestess - Robyn)
Assistant manager of: Thallis (Lady of the Azure Isle - Naomh), Sutara's house (Majordomo - North), Arena (Records Keeper - Kateri)
Naomh
Predominate
Predominate

Re: Player input to the website

Postby Shiho on Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:05 pm

I am still highly amused by this one on http://belariath.com/php/magic/listspel ... ere=Arcana
Glimmering Tail:
[...]

Gravity Sinkhole:
[...]
This spell is closely related to the one above, often going hand in hand.[...]

But I am sure people will have more serious feedback on the website
Shiho
Predominate
Predominate

Postby Minatao on Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:49 pm

It probably has been said before, but i felt it should be mentioned. it's.. VERY hard for me to find a lot of things on the website cause it seems kinda outdated and very confusing to sift through. Especially a lot of the heavier information on some of the racial specifics.
Minatao
Novice
Novice

Postby eccada on Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:27 pm

The character creation page could use an update with listing how the skills system works and where to find the list on the message board.
eccada
Novice
Novice

Postby Ithilwen on Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:16 pm

1. Convert the message board, alongside website and its pages to use https instead of the less secure http. If you connect to the main page through google it uses https, but if you switch off it or go to any other part of the site it switches to http even when going back to the main section.

2. Update to area locations there descriptions, and inclusion of newer areas like deathsiris and shar'shir to the website. Along with maps for the locations and surrounding area. Similar to the map of the empire under The Empire -> geography section.

3. A more mobile friendly version of the site for smart phones, and other mobile devices. While the site works on mobile devices its difficult to navigate with out having to zoom into everything.

4. Establish a Race religion in the Religion section of that Race Religion section. This is needed for cat people, duessa, halflings, Amahil, Barbarians, The tribe, pixies and nixies, Satyrs, Sheyka, Swan Maidens.

5. I'm not sure when the website was created, or when its HTML was last looked at. It might be time to look at the website html and bring it up to date with today's standards.
Ithilwen
Adept
Adept

Postby Joshua_Jericho on Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:36 pm

On general layout and format - I'm generally on PC, and while the graphics are a little dated, the layout isn't awful. There are occasional pages where paragraphs would be helpful, and many pages would benefit from breaking up ten plus paragraphs into sub-headings. Could this be sorted on a Bounty system? I.E we post a link to poorly formatted pages, someone puts it into a HTML friendly format (line breaks, headings, paragraphs) for a bit of MHL/XP? I'm sure we have players active who are capable of reformatting in that way. Similarly mismatches between Class and Race restrictions, typos, etc.

I think the general format of having the main headings in the left hand list, then sub-pages in the middle at the top, and further sub-pages inside those sub-pages, can be confusing.

As an example, we have the Races page, which splits into the Playable Races, the NPC Bestiary, and the NPC Races. Each of the main entries on these pages then has their own page. This also seems to go 'up and down' - so you go from Races to Playable Races using the links at the top of the sub-page, then down into say, Cat Folk, then back to the links at the top of this page. This would be better served, imho, by some sort of 'tree' system which lets you expand the Races Menu to go directly to the race you fancy, while preserving the current landing page for general browsing.

Also worth noting that where there's a general race page not yet written (Like the Cat Folk Religion page), there's no indication that the link doesn't work beyond it not being a link.

Breaking to eat pizza - may add in more as it occurs to me!

JJ
Since I can't figure out how to change display name...player of Catiline, Umber and Saphamira! Often around on IRC GMT evenings and weekends.
Joshua_Jericho
Expert
Expert

Postby CallieO on Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:00 am

The racial gods are listed on the main religion page. Why not link to them as well?
"If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe."
--Dr. Beverly Crusher

Player of Callie Volopa, Viaa, Auric Lightwing, Brian Perano, Erin Tarcata and Aimee Sarasiné

CallieO
Predominate
Predominate

Return to General Questions and Suggestions