Herms: If you could, would you?

Questions and suggestions that don't fit anywhere else in this area.

Moderators: Stormbringer, Ehlanna

Herms: If you could, would you?

Postby Rei-Kai on Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:59 pm

Certainly the basic question itself is present, however this is more about another factor regarding the new rules that have been enacted quite recently. See here https://belariath.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18594

The question I have to pose, beyond whether someone would like to make one or not, is if you could have more than one herm character, would you take that opportunity? Assume this doesn't count towards the permitted ten approved. If you yourself were approved and had the option to add another to your repertoire, would you do so? And how different would it be from your previous one?

For myself, who has already had two herms active(ish) at once, I hadn't seen much need or reason to add more, given the limited degree of interest in them. Which has been on the decline over the years. Even if I wanted to make more for the fun of it and could get them approved, I honestly wouldn't go for more than what I already have. As said, with waning interest over the years, only one really gets played somewhat often while the other remained mostly shelved.

And I'm sure many people understand the feeling of wanting to use a character more, but the lack of interest or the unavailability of interested parties renders trying to use them rather pointless. Don't need to be a herm player to understand that feeling. Especially if you have many alt characters and only 2-3 ever really see much use. It's fun to make them, but with limited time to play them, it can be a bit depressing to watch them wither and fade from activity for long periods of time.

So with that, if you could have more than one, would you want to make more and how many? How many do you reasonably think you could play and hold interest in? For me, I feel having the desire to make them and having someone already interested in them is key to playing and engaging with them. Since without player interest, then making them becomes, at best, a brief moment of creativity and writing before filing the idea away and watching it fade from the public consciousness.
Rei-Kai
Initiate
Initiate

Re: Herms: If you could, would you?

Postby L`aquera on Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:47 pm

I'll say something brief and I want you to read it and absorb it carefully.

Herms were never meant to be part of TLI, that is not a medieval LOTR vision of the owner and creator here. He politely listened to those that REALLY wanted one and met them half way. Only so many slots were allotted and one person should only be allowed just one slot. You have two. You think two should only take one slot because you are one person. But thats not how this works. You may only now have one slot. I understand easily this isn't liked because you own two, its hardly fair for others, liked or not, if the channel Owner and Site Owner is meeting you half way, you have to meet him half way.
Don't breath, don't think.. for I am the shadow that will forever over take you..
L`aquera
High Council
High Council

Return to General Questions and Suggestions