SUGGESTION: Magic Missile (Arcana Sphere)

Questions and suggestions for new spells, changes to spells and the magic system

Moderators: Stormbringer, Ehlanna

SUGGESTION: Magic Missile (Arcana Sphere)

Postby The Mercenary Abby on Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:03 am

Seeing the posts for new Spell Suggestions made me want to one of my own! But this one is just a take on a basic spell straight out of D&D. We could call it 'Magic Darts', if necessary.

===

Magic Missile
Level required: 10
Class required: Magex1
Spell prerequisites (must have all of): -
Casting method: ranmagatk
Defending method: ranmagdef
Description: Magex1
A missile of magical energy darts forth from the caster's fingertip(s) and unerringly strikes its target(s).

:MECHANICS: This spell can be used against ONE living target per 3 slots put into the spell, to a maximum of FIVE targets. All Targets defend against one attack roll. Cost to stamina is per normal Ranged Magical Attack combat rules, with the said cost being 1 STA +1 STA for every slot put into the spell.

Damage, however, is equal to the number of times the Mage class has been taken by the caster (to a maximum damage of 7). This spell does not take armor into account, but can be defended against by enchantments and defensive spells that protect against magic such as Magical Armor.

Inanimate objects are not damaged by the spell and specific parts of a creature cannot be singled out for accumulative damage.
"The best thing in life is finding someone who knows all of your flaws, mistakes, and weaknesses and still thinks you're completely amazing."
The Mercenary Abby
Predominate
Predominate

Re: SUGGESTION: Magic Missile (Arcana Sphere)

Postby Farvel on Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:00 am

A single round, 5 target spell at normal stamina and at base class x1 and level 10? Seems way overpowered to me.
Farvel
Predominate
Predominate

Re: SUGGESTION: Magic Missile (Arcana Sphere)

Postby The Mercenary Abby on Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:39 am

Farvel wrote:A single round, 5 target spell at normal stamina and at base class x1 and level 10? Seems way overpowered to me.

Yeah, but it's not like the Damage Output is very high. At Magex1, a typical Mage (assuming this is Level 10-15) probably wouldn't have a lot of stamina to use all 15 Slots too much and it is just to inflict a Damage of 1. This is not as powerful as a spell that would require rolling normal !Damage rolls, that's for sure, since with that roll people would face the possibility of receiving a max of 1d50 damage.

Of course, the Mechanics can always be changed to fit better with what is expected of spells here!
"The best thing in life is finding someone who knows all of your flaws, mistakes, and weaknesses and still thinks you're completely amazing."
The Mercenary Abby
Predominate
Predominate

Return to Spells and Magic