Spell idea for Healing Sphere - Coma

Questions and suggestions for new spells, changes to spells and the magic system

Moderators: Stormbringer, Ehlanna

Spell idea for Healing Sphere - Coma

Postby Azara on Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:52 pm

I'm going to be honest... this spell is inspired by the fact that Azara will be regrowing someone's dick, and the idea of that poor char suffering for THREE days while Regrowth does its thing just makes me cringe. So, it's been written spur of the moment. Feel free to hack/slash at will.

Healing Sphere

Spell: Coma
Class required: Healer
Min spell slots: N/A
Max spell slots: 1
Description: This spell allows the Healer to put their patient in a healing coma

:MECHANICS: Touch is required. To be used in ADDITION to a Healing Spell. For every X level a Healer has, 2 STA per X can be spent to place their patient in a deep sleep for 1 day (max of 7 days/14 STA) to promote healing, and to ease unnecessary pain that must be endured by their patients (burns, dismemberment, etc.). This does NOT lessen any healing time requirements determined by the Healing spell used. The patient would be out of commission for the duration of the spell, so OOC consent is REQUIRED.

**NOTES** The spell CAN be reversed and the patient can be awakened, but if the awakening is done before the duration of pain/discomfort already determined by another spell (for example Regrowth states it takes 3 days to fully heal and during that time the patient will feel pain: "This process is never pleasant, and the pain from it is hard to ignore.") then the patient will suffer the remainder of that time in pain. For example: Coma is cast for 3 days, but the patient is awakened after only 1 day, then the patient will be in pain (as described in the Healing spell) for the remaining 2 days. Spell reversal: The spell can be reversed by any Healer EQUAL to the number of days cast - i.e. if Coma is cast for 3 days, then a Healer x3 or above can awaken the patient.
~Watching.. always watching.~

Azara
Predominate
Predominate

Re: Spell idea for Healing Sphere - Coma

Postby L`aquera on Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:03 pm

I like this.
Don't breath, don't think.. for I am the shadow that will forever over take you..
L`aquera
High Council
High Council

Postby Marren on Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:40 pm

Yea thats a good idea.
Marren, Eolande Keita, Daynar Roke, Syl`Zhalti, Severus
Marren
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Angst on Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:34 pm

OMG... I love this... Azara, you are a healing Goddess.
Angst, Anisa|VRK|, Latanya|STB|, Kacela, Inara{Chris}, Taini, Nixxle, Lilly{FRST}, Jilaiya, Jace, Kai, Tirnel, Esme{DVK}, Samina, Samiya{Mal}, Leila, Talen.
Angst
Predominate
Predominate

Postby Amara on Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:52 pm

It's not a bad idea, I like it.

Though, usually, when something gets lobbed off - there's a death involved - so it's almost moot. While dead, things are regrown before they're rezzed.
Avatar courtesy of: Lucky/Isilindil: viewtopic.php?p=136186#p136186

"If my heart could beat, it'd beat for you." Valley of Silence

"And yet you did not chose me blindly. Certain expectations were aroused.
Let's not be coy; you were hoping I would satisfy all the desires you're
too shy to name, or at least show you a good time." The Crimson Petal and the White
Amara
Predominate
Predominate

Postby miyuka on Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:55 pm

Yeah I gotta agree, I'm not sure just how necessary this spell is overall for healers. Def something to look at when healing sphere goes under review.
miyuka

Postby Azara on Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:46 pm

I only used Re-Growth as an example. It can be used for burns, when just the simple Heal spell is used.. some poisons are quite painful, even cause convulsions in which the Coma spell can be particularly useful, so Coma can be used when cure poison is being used. As for lopping things off - if a hand is chopped off, or fingers, those don't cause death. If a wing is shattered, broken off, or cut off, there'd be no death, but the healing would be agonizing.

Azara
Predominate
Predominate

Postby Naomh on Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:43 am

Lindor has been trying to plan out a healing sphere sleep/painkilling spell for similar reasons if I recall. Having a patient be comatose as you set their bone, stitch a massive cut together so you can magically heal it properly, etc...

My complaint with this spell is that it must be done in conjunction with a healing spell, so for the above purposes of having to set broken bones or similar BEFORE you can apply a healing spell, it does not work as well.
Avatar courtesy of: Lucky/Isilindil : http://belariath.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=136186#p136186
Team member of: Dev, SI, Quest, Ops
Manager of: Sorcerous Sanctuary (Anaya), Unigo (Headmistress - Keani), Lodge of Strength (Head Priestess - Robyn)
Assistant manager of: Thallis (Lady of the Azure Isle - Naomh), Sutara's house (Majordomo - North), Arena (Records Keeper - Kateri)
Naomh
Predominate
Predominate

Postby Amara on Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:11 am

We have sweet bliss and some pain medications in game - extreme pain, in lots of cases will induce a person to faint, etc. SO, I can see why Yuka and I were thinking along the same path.

Flush it out a bit more and let's go from there.

too shy to name, or at least show you a good time." The Crimson Petal and the White
Amara
Predominate
Predominate

Postby Azara on Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:39 am

We have sweet bliss and some pain medications in game - extreme pain, in lots of cases will induce a person to faint, etc. SO, I can see why Yuka and I were thinking along the same path.

Flush it out a bit more and let's go from there.

Sweet Bliss creates a "haze of euphoria so that they are incapable of coherent action" ... which means confused, mixed up, action. Still -capable- of action. That does not help with convulsions, or keeping a patient perfectly still to heal them. And, short of a Healer spending their own coin and carrying around a bag full of bottles, this one single spell can take care of those needs on the spot. If in the middle of the forest, or borderlands, a quick trip to the apothecary to grab a bottle of pain medication is not an option.. not to mention finding a worker who happens to have the shop open.

The Arcana Sphere has the "Sleep" spell, which induces a "restless sleep". Why can't the Healing Sphere have something similar, like the Coma Spell, that has a practical and useful purpose? Head injuries induce combative patients, mending broken bones requires a patient to remain still, surgeries require a patient to be anesthetized. I say surgeries because Healing has never been a five-minute-fix even if it is magical so, in essence, some healings are much like a surgery and could take hours, requiring a patient to stay still for that long. Sweet Bliss is only ten minutes per level of the caster, that's not very long for a low level Healer, not to mention the cost of potions.

As for extreme pain inducing a person to faint, etc., it can also have the opposite reaction just as often, bringing a person out of a faint due to the intensity of it.

I guess I'm not understanding the true resistance to a spell like this when there's clearly a use for it. And, just to clarify, what kind of "flushing out" are you looking for? What does this spell seem to be missing, or need, to make it more clear or comprehensible?

Azara
Predominate
Predominate

Postby Azara on Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:58 am

My complaint with this spell is that it must be done in conjunction with a healing spell, so for the above purposes of having to set broken bones or similar BEFORE you can apply a healing spell, it does not work as well.

Let me clarify what I meant when I stated "in ADDITION" to a Healing spell. My intent is to restrict it from being used BY ITSELF, outside of the need for Healing. There are some crazy Healers out there, and I'd hate for them to run amok putting folk in comas just for entertainment. *grins*

But, it can certainly be reworded to make that more clear. :)

Azara
Predominate
Predominate

Postby Amara on Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:48 am

Azara wrote:I guess I'm not understanding the true resistance to a spell like this when there's clearly a use for it.

There's not a resistance to it - there was a need to help us see why there was a need.

Azara wrote:And, just to clarify, what kind of "flushing out" are you looking for? What does this spell seem to be missing, or need, to make it more clear or comprehensible?

As for the 'fleshing out' - there was a clarification needed, which you gave to Naomh.

Amara
Predominate
Predominate

Postby Tehya on Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:38 pm

Coma's sore subject :P

I agree others might just want to do it outside of healing and think it should stick to healers only.

I like it!
Tehya

Postby Azara on Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:34 pm

There's not a resistance to it - there was a need to help us see why there was a need.

Fair enough. Resistance was probably the wrong word to use. :-k

Azara
Predominate
Predominate

Return to Spells and Magic