SUGGESTION: More Enchantable Spells

Questions and suggestions for new spells, changes to spells and the magic system

Moderators: Stormbringer, Ehlanna

SUGGESTION: More Enchantable Spells

Postby The Mercenary Abby on Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:36 pm

Hello there!

It's been a long time since I posted under this thread but after talking about it with some people, I'm gonna give this a try. Now I haven't exactly been around as long as a lot of the players and I'm not entirely sure how it was decided that some spells can be enchanted into items while others can't (though I know huge spells like Blizzard or Vent the Earth can't for obvious reasons).

I'm talking more about spells that 'feel' like they could be enchanted into an item, but the only reason they aren't (as far as I know) is because 'they are not on the list of enchant-able list'. But there are enchant-able spells in the said list that are similar in nature to begin with. For example:

*Taken from http://belariath.com/php/magic/listspel ... nchantment *
Damage Shield enchant:
Level required: 8

Casting method: none
Defending method: none

Description: Can be placed upon: Armor, jewelry, wands
Cost: normal enchanting costs

Upon casting this spell, a barrier of magic is created around the Mage, though not with the intention of guarding against blows. Instead, the almost invisible sheen of that ward is activated only when a blow is struck, condensing around the offending blade, bludgeon or fist and sending a dangerous jolt of magical force back through it, often accompanied by a warning flash of brilliance.

:MECHANICS: While active, any successful close physical attack made against the caster will result in damage returned to the attacker. The amount of damage dealt is 1 point for every 3 slots invested, to a maximum of 5 damage back. The spell lasts for one round for every slot invested and costs 2 stamina each round active, on top of the normal stamina for the initial cast. This spell may be used with defensive spells magical and physical armor, or defense enchantments, but not with any other defensive spells or magical shields.

The spell only reacts to Close Physical Attacks, which is fair enough. But then there is one spell that cannot be enchanted because it is not on the list:

*Taken from http://belariath.com/php/magic/listspel ... ere=Arcana *
Reflux Shield:
Level required: 8

Casting method: other
Defending method: other

Description: A mage casting this spell creates a near invisible barrier around their figure, a field of refractive energies which provides them no real protection, and is triggered only when an oncoming magical projectile solidly strikes it. Abruptly the barrier condenses on the point of impact, borrowing some of the energy from that magical strike and hurling it back at the attacker in the form of a potentially punishing sphere of light.

:MECHANICS: While active, any successful ranged magical attack made against the caster will result in damage returned to the attacker. Damage returned is 1 point for every 3 slots invested, to a maximum of 5 damage back. Reflux Shield lasts one round per slot invested and costs 2 stamina each round active, on top of the normal stamina for the initial cast. This spell may be used with defensive spells magical and physical armor, or defense enchantments, but not with any other defensive spells or magical shields.

It is pretty much the same thing except it only affects Ranged Magical Attacks. So why can't this be enchanted into items?

Then there these spells:

*Taken from http://belariath.com/php/magic/listspel ... nchantment *
Chill Touch enchant:

Casting method: clomagatk
Defending method: clomagdef

Description: Can be made permanent

Can be placed upon: weapons, armor, jewelry, wands
Cost: normal enchant cost (x 4 if permanent on a weapon)
By casting this spell, an aura of blue, freezing air is created around the caster's hand, nearly snug against their skin. With this energy they can attempt to touch someone, sending a mind numbing cold rushing through the victim. Causing the body to shiver and shake and take on a glacial blue tint to the skin.

:MECHANICS: Damage is dealt per the normal Close Magical Attack combat rules, adding +1 to the ATK per slot used. If used upon a weapon and made permanent it may be used to provide an extra +1 damage per 5 slots enchanted. Please note that this is extra damage applied AFTER a hit, and is NOT extra ATK.

If the permanent effect is used upon a weapon to gain the extra elemental damage this is the only effect this enchantment has: to gain the ability to use the spell form of this enchantment another enchantment (non-permanent) must be taken.

Shocking Grasp enchant:

Casting method: none
Defending method: none

Description: Same as the Arcana spell.

If used upon a weapon and made permanent it may be used to provide an extra +1 damage per 5 slots enchanted. Please note that this is extra damage applied AFTER a hit, and is NOT extra ATK.

May only be made permanent on weapons.

If the permanent effect is used upon a weapon to gain the extra elemental damage this is the only effect this enchantment has: to gain the ability to use the spell form of this enchantment another enchantment (non-permanent) must be taken.

Both spells represent different elements (don't think I need to point out which is what) and both are Close Magical Attacks, but there is one spell that I feel shares the same concept but isn't an enchant-able spell:

Burning Fingers:

Casting method: clomagatk
Defending method: clomagdef

Description: This spell sends out a spread of thin fire from the user's fingers that fans out up to five feet in front of him or her.

Mechanics: Damage is dealt per the normal Close Magical Attack combat rules, adding +1 to the ATK per slot used.

I am wondering if these spells were just overlooked when the decisions on enchantments were made, or if there was a reason why they were left out from the list.

Also, just to throw this out there, how about this spell?

Stun Bolt:

Casting method: ranmagatk
Defending method: ranmagdef

Description: This spell fires an invisible blast of stunning air that, if it hits the target, has a chance of stunning it.

Mechanics: A ranmagatk vs ranmagdef determines success, and if it hits, the target is stunned for 1 round per 3 slots put into the spell. Regardless of how much the spell penetrates, it causes the victim no damage to their LIFE at all. While Stunned, the victim may not commit any offensive actions, but may still defend as normal, including if they wish to activate defensive spells, evade or stumble away. This spell is instantly canceled by the spells 'Cure the Senses' and Purifying Rhythm: stamina cost is 1 +1 for each slot used. The effects of the spell on the victim are immediately broken if they are subject to any form of attack - magical or physical.

Just... to maybe give the less magical characters the chance to stun their opponents :P

Thank you!
"The best thing in life is finding someone who knows all of your flaws, mistakes, and weaknesses and still thinks you're completely amazing."
The Mercenary Abby
Predominate
Predominate

Re: SUGGESTION: More Enchantable Spells

Postby miyuka on Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:23 pm

The list of currently enchantable spells are set for the moment. While new enchants can be added, these will not be considered as new enchants should admin decide to add them. They will just simply be added. For the time being, however, what we have on the list is what is allowed. I personally am weary about even given what's already there as I feel they dip far too much into the mage sphere as is and if it were up to me would have been removed. So yeah it's kind of an odd list as is, but you're getting something from it.

Oh and on the stun. No. Just no. It's been brought up before and the answer is still no till I've been told otherwise.
miyuka

Return to Spells and Magic