New Nature Sphere spell idea

Questions and suggestions for new spells, changes to spells and the magic system

Moderators: Stormbringer, Ehlanna

New Nature Sphere spell idea

Postby christolf on Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:16 am

Well, for a long time I have felt that Hierophants are lacking in a spell that defines them. We used to have Starfire, but that was removed and replaced with Venus Spore, which honestly, in comparison to the other high-level spells really blows chunks. So, I have an idea for a Nature Sphere spell that can/should replace that spell. here it is.

Blinding Flash
Requirements: Druid x6, Hierophant x4
The Nature Magic user summons the inner light of Gaea, and with a brilliant display of their power and aura flashes out a magical radiance of bright light. Those withing 15 feet of the Hierophant need to roll their RANMAGDEF vs. the caster's RANMAGATK plus +1 for every 3 slots of the spell taken, up to a max of +5 for 15 slots. If the foes fail in their defense roll, they take the difference in damage (rolled as a difference in attack and defense roll, up to a max of 1d50) and are blinded for 1d4 rounds, halving their attack rolls. Multiple uses of the same spell during the same combat will have a much lesser effect, only dealing damage but not causing blindness, as surprise is the advantage a Nature Magic user needs to make this totally effective. Those races with low-light or night vision take an additional 1d2 rounds of blindness on a failed RANMAGDEF roll. This spell is quite taxing, so it requires an extra stamina per slot used in the casting (i.e. 4 slots require 8 stamina, 15 slots require 30 stamina). It also takes an additional round to summon the inner light within, the spell unleashing at the next round of the caster's combat.

What do you think of it?
christolf
Expert
Expert

Re: New Nature Sphere spell idea

Postby L`aquera on Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:51 pm

You have a lot going on here, I like it, but I'm confused. Is the aura what causes damage? Or is it blinding? Blinding a foe with an aura seems quite fitting if its so bright as a shine of nature, but I'm not sure where the damage comes into play?
Don't breath, don't think.. for I am the shadow that will forever over take you..
L`aquera
High Council
High Council

Postby miyuka on Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:39 am

the way damage is calculated on this spell alone is already quite powerful before you add in the blind effect of halving their rolls. Even if that effect can only happen once, and no the fact that it takes two rounds to cast does not make up for that. I'd prefer if it just did damage like normal and had a one turn cast time.
miyuka

Postby christolf on Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:32 pm

I can see where you are coming from, both of you. I am glad to fix the description, and make it a little simplier.

Blinding Flash
Requirements: Druid x6, Hierophant x4

Description: The nature magic user summons their inner strength, using their inner light and the gifts Gaea has given them in one bright magical flare, radiating out in a sphere around the magic user. The sphere attacks those around the magic user in both a spiritual and physical way, but is very taxing on the caster because of this dual threat.

Mechanics: The Nature Magic user summons the inner light of Gaea, and with a brilliant display of their power and aura flashes out a magical radiance of bright light. Those withing 15 feet of the Hierophant need to roll their RANMAGDEF vs. the caster's RANMAGATK plus +1 for every 3 slots of the spell taken, up to a max of +5 for 15 slots. If the foes fail in their defense roll, they take the difference in damage (rolled as a difference in attack and defense roll, up to a max of 1d50). This spell is quite taxing, so it requires an extra stamina per slot used in the casting (i.e. 4 slots require 8 stamina, 15 slots require 30 stamina).

Is this any better?
christolf
Expert
Expert

Postby miyuka on Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:38 pm

I just realized that you are using the new method of calculating damage, it's just worded oddly and that yer going for an AOE spell. I feel pretty silly now. It actually would require two turns. For the requirements you may wanna put an Or in between there so people arent' thinking you need to be a Druid x6/Heriophant x4 (which is impossible!)
miyuka

Postby christolf on Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:26 pm

Ok, we'll do some re-editing to make that work.

Blinding Flash
Requirements: Druid x6 or Hierophant x4

Description: The nature magic user summons their inner strength, using their inner light and the gifts Gaea has given them in one bright magical flare, radiating out in a sphere around the magic user. The sphere attacks those around the magic user in both a spiritual and physical way, but is very taxing on the caster because of this dual threat.

Mechanics: This spell takes two rounds to complete, the first round spent gathering their inner Aura, the second unleashing the spell. The caster can walk or do normal non-taxing things while preparing for the spell, but if they are attacked successfully, the spell is interrupted and must be recast from scratch.The Nature Magic user summons the inner light of Gaea, and with a brilliant display of their power and aura flashes out a magical radiance of bright light. Those withing 15 feet of the Hierophant need to roll their RANMAGDEF vs. the caster's RANMAGATK plus +1 for every 3 slots of the spell taken, up to a max of +5 for 15 slots. If the foes fail in their defense roll, they take the difference in damage (rolled as a difference in attack and defense roll, up to a max of 1d50). This spell is quite taxing, so it requires an extra stamina per slot used in the casting (i.e. 4 slots require 8 stamina, 15 slots require 30 stamina).

There we go, another edit to make it better.
christolf
Expert
Expert

Postby L`aquera on Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:11 pm

It seems alright to me, a lil polish here and there but the mechanics are sound.
Don't breath, don't think.. for I am the shadow that will forever over take you..
L`aquera
High Council
High Council

Postby miyuka on Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:08 pm

so sorry about the earlier confusion. It's not a bad spell, mechanics wise. aesthetics wise though, I don't feel that it's all that naturey, if that makes sense. I know Gaea is the nature goddess but this one feels more like a divine thing to me.
miyuka

Return to Spells and Magic