Reinforcing spells after advancing

Questions and suggestions for new spells, changes to spells and the magic system

Moderators: Stormbringer, Ehlanna

Reinforcing spells after advancing

Postby Farvel on Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:45 pm

So, according to the site:

When you reach a level where you can choose to upgrade your base Magical Class into an Advanced Magical Class, you will find certain Advanced spells require starter spells from either the Common or Arcana sphere. It is wise to remember that once you advance, you will no longer have access to new spells from your base class sphere. Instead, you will only be able to strengthen the existing base class spells you have by purchasing them at the magic shop. All new spells you are able to add will be designated by your Advanced Class and the new Sphere you have evolved to.

However, when someone tried today to increase the number of slots of a spell someone already knew, but of a sphere they no longer had access to, Des blocked the transaction on the grounds that the sphere was not available.

Now, I know the site is somewhat out of date (a topic that's worth a discussion of its own, but let's not derail here). There are, however, three possibilities here:

1) The site is correct, and there's simply a mistake in Desdaemona's coding.

2) The site is correct, but the limitations of the sale protection script mean that the spell slots have to be added manually.

If that's the case, we'll just have to live with it, I guess.

3) The site is out of date, and reinforcing spells after advancing is no longer allowed.

If this is the case, then I think the site description should be fixed as soon as possible, because it easily induce players in error. It should be made clear that you cannot purchase any spell from the older sphere once you evolve, so players can plan appropriately. Otherwise they will evolve to an advanced class, trusting the site, thinking they can improve the slots later, only to realise once they try that they've made a serious mistake that can only be fixed by resetting - thus losing any bonus stats and increasing their reset count (which could end up in a level penalty in the future) through no mistake of their own.
Farvel
Predominate
Predominate

Re: Reinforcing spells after advancing

Postby miyuka on Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:54 am

what was the spell in question, and class? Need all the details if Ehl is going to figure this out
miyuka

Postby Farvel on Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:04 am

It was Ehl who did the testing actually, so I didn't include any more info but here it goes:

Name: Valara
Class: Paladin
Spell: Shielding hand (it was in her list at the time, it seems she must've reset now)

[20:03.12] <@Ehlanna> [20:02] <Desdaemona> The Spell Spheres that Valara has access to are: 'Racial', 'Common'
[20:03.12] <@Ehlanna> [20:02] <Desdaemona> Character Valara: Cannot have 'Shielding Hand' no access to correct Sphere

My post was more of a general question to see if the rule about being able to buy slots in spells you already have was changed since it was written on the site. If it's just a coding bug I'm sure Ehl will be on it already.
Farvel
Predominate
Predominate

Postby miyuka on Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:38 pm

it's a coding thing I guess, then. If you have the spells you should, rule wise, still be able to advance that spell. the only exception is if there are racial or class restrictions, like if you were a fire mage now but you had some water/ice based common sphere spells.
miyuka

Postby Farvel on Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:57 am

Any updates on this?
Farvel
Predominate
Predominate

Postby Farvel on Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:15 am

Update:

Today I successfully sold Arcana sphere spells to a Bard/Air Mage who doesn't have access to the sphere but had the level 1 spells already. So whatever the issue was seems to be working fine now. 8)
Farvel
Predominate
Predominate

Return to Spells and Magic