new air sphere spell (Forked Lightning)

Questions and suggestions for new spells, changes to spells and the magic system

Moderators: Stormbringer, Ehlanna

new air sphere spell (Forked Lightning)

Postby Wadeywade on Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:41 pm

I have been working on new spells for the Air Sphere, thought Id submit them for dissection and evisceration in the hopes that the idea in part will make it into the sphere.
I realize mechanics can be difficult, and time consuming to get right. chopping this up and making it work wont be that much of a problem since I used the spell template from the board, I have been considering both spells for over a year, this is the reult I have to ‘share with the class’.

Forked Lightning:
Level required: 40+
Class required: Air Mage
Spell prerequisites (must have all of): Chain lightning level 5, Energy Bolt level 10
Casting method: ranmagatk
Defending method: ranmagdef
Description: Air Mage X3:

An incredibly complex and powerful spell to cast, this spell takes incredible fortitude to cast. only the bravest or perhaps foolhardy dare to attempt this feat that was lost to the ages but recently rediscovered.

:MECHANICS: This spell requires that the Air Mage spend 'two' rounds casting this spell and if he is damaged during these preparation rounds, his spell is ruined and he must begin again. Making a Ranged Magical Attack against his opponent, should he succeed in getting the spell off, the damage is spread evenly between the forks of the spell, not exceeding 50 damage per fork. the caster may cast one fork per level of Air Mage, and each gets a damage roll; these are then added then divided by the number of forks: for example, Bill the air mage x4 casts forked lightning and successfully hits, with all four tines. rolling damage is the result of the numerical difference between the attack and defense, and for this example let is say he rolls a 2, a 58, a 27 and a 23. in this case 2+58+27+23/4=27.5 rounded down is 27 per tine, and the damage cannot exceed fifty per tine. This is a multi-target spell. the forks can only target a person once per casting of the spell.
"There are no strings on me." Leonard Snart
-
“it gladdens me to know Odin prepares for a feast, soon I will be drinking ale from curved horns! I will not enter Odins Hall with fear, I shall wait for my sons to join me.. and when they do, I shall bask in their tales of triumph! the Aesir shall welcome me. my death comes without apology! I welcome the Valkeries, to SUMMON ME HOME!”-Ragnar Lodbrok
Wadeywade
Expert
Expert

Re: new air sphere spell (Forked Lightning)

Postby DiasEesha on Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:47 am

The only thing Id have to note is that amx3 is kinda low for a class req for this spell. Other then that I think it works.
DiasEesha
Expert
Expert

Postby Farvel on Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:22 am

I like this very much, except for this part:

Wadeywade wrote: the caster may cast one fork per level of Air Mage, and each gets a damage roll; these are then added then divided by the number of forks: for example, Bill the air mage x4 casts forked lightning and successfully hits, with all four tines. rolling damage is the result of the numerical difference between the attack and defense, and for this example let is say he rolls a 2, a 58, a 27 and a 23. in this case 2+58+27+23/4=27.5 rounded down is 27 per tine, and the damage cannot exceed fifty per tine. This is a multi-target spell. the forks can only target a person once per casting of the spell.

I think this is needlessly complex math that doesn't really add anything to the spell. Each target gets a different defense roll and accordingly should get a separate damage roll as in normal rules. No need to make it more complex than that.

Also, I don't think Air Mage x3 is too low a requirement. It's more than the Air Mage x2 required for Chain Lightning, which needs similar lightning-directing skills. The class already limits the number of targets that can be hit, and that should be good enough.
Farvel
Predominate
Predominate

Postby Wadeywade on Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:04 pm

ok. I can get on board with that.

Forked Lightning:
Level required: 40+
Class required: Air Mage
Spell prerequisites (must have all of): Chain lightning level 5, Energy Bolt level 10
Casting method: ranmagatk
Defending method: ranmagdef
Description: Air Mage X3:

An incredibly complex and powerful spell to cast, this spell takes incredible fortitude to cast. only the bravest or perhaps foolhardy dare to attempt this feat that was lost to the ages but recently rediscovered.

:MECHANICS: This spell requires that the Air Mage spend 'two' rounds casting this spell and if he is damaged during these preparation rounds, his spell is ruined and he must begin again. Making a Ranged Magical Attack against his opponent, should he succeed in getting the spell off, for each time he or she has taken their class, they may choose an additional target beyond the first, maximum of five. each gets a separate attack and defense roll. damage may not exceed fiftypoints per tine. This is a multi-target spell. the forks can only target a person once per casting of the spell.
"There are no strings on me." Leonard Snart
-
“it gladdens me to know Odin prepares for a feast, soon I will be drinking ale from curved horns! I will not enter Odins Hall with fear, I shall wait for my sons to join me.. and when they do, I shall bask in their tales of triumph! the Aesir shall welcome me. my death comes without apology! I welcome the Valkeries, to SUMMON ME HOME!”-Ragnar Lodbrok
Wadeywade
Expert
Expert

Return to Spells and Magic