Arcana Spell Concept: Co-location

Questions and suggestions for new spells, changes to spells and the magic system

Moderators: Stormbringer, Ehlanna

Arcana Spell Concept: Co-location

Postby Sarmani on Mon May 11, 2020 6:06 am

Co-location (Anywhere Spell)
Sphere: Arcana
Requirement: MageX5, Arcane Bindings x5

A limited application the processes behind Arcane Bindings and the future theory of teleportation, Co-location lets a mage provide a limited ability to manipulate targets from multiple angles by creating floating copies of limbs. These proxies are magical force shaped by the mage's will, and controlled mentally as if they're the targets limb. The proxies may be any extremity: arms, legs, heads, or 'others'. A side effect, and downside is that the mage feels sensation through these limbs, as if they were another copy of the limb - which can make things dangerous.

Mechanics: Co-location takes a round to cast, at half-defense. It lasts a scene out of combat, and 1 round per slot out of combat. It creates two of any limb the caster possesses, which are physically identical and have the same stats and armour, and can perform the same feats. The limbs can travel anywhere the caster can see, and if out of line of sight may move in the direction the caster wants, but move blindly. Aside from regular movements like punching or walking, they can be moved in the air at what constitutes brisk flying pace, allowing for limited pursuit an closing distances.

The spell creates two limbs at rank 1, with one extra every 5 slots, capping at 5 at 15.

In combat, Co-location lets you make close-ranged physical and magical attacks as ranged attacks, using the appropriate stats. The target rolls as per a ranged physical attack or ranged magical attack depending on the weapon/spell, applying the weapon or spells effect otherwise as normal (see below for how this spell deals with weapon attacks). They may also be used to grab and restrain a target, or assist in another attack for a +1 bonus per assisting limb.

Only one limb may attack at any time, and it does not allow multiple attacks in a round. However, the limbs may continue to hold or perform any repetitive action on their own, the same way a person may with their own limbs (holding an item or person with strength, turning a crank or hammering an anvil, and other repetitive motions). Obviously, the main caster can't also attack if using the limbs to attack. The only exception to the multiple action rule is that any limb may drop an item or help aid an attack provided it is in a place to do so.

Co-location cannot duplicate weapons in your hands, nor armour the hand is wearing except for the purposes of defense (it gets your defense including your armour, but cannot get the +1 attack from gauntlets or greaves) It can pick up weapons and use them, but you have to have the weapon within reach. Co-location limbs are otherwise as strong or dextrous as the caster.

The Caster feels everything the limb does, but otherwise has no special awareness of them. In addition, attacking a limb inflicts pain as if it was the caster's, feedback causing stress. Attacks against magical proxies get regular defense and armour, but damage stamina rather than life and risking causing the caster to pass out. The limbs cannot act at all if the caster is stunned, and will stop any action, even those they can normally perform autonomously.

First draft of spell idea for Arcana. Criticisms are of course welcome.
Sarmani Moretti, Researcher, mage, student of Water, mad scientist, vulpine/human hybrid, cool rational foxgirl
Other Characters: Reshen, Wisecracking Troll Warrior; Yarnat, Sadistic Fluffy Catmoriel Bard; Isolte, Ruby Draksen Ice-Queen Knight; Vaspire, Opportunistic Torian Thief; Welkyr, Cheery Wolven Mancatcher; Mizri, Enthusiastic Gladiatrix Moriel-orc
Sarmani
Adept
Adept

Re: Arcana Spell Concept: Co-location

Postby miyuka on Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:57 pm

I'm not entirely sure I fully understand what's all going on here with this spell if I'm being honest. If I get it, the gist of it is that it makes limbs that can help perform actions out of combat, and also help add bonuses to attacks in combat. In combat they can be attacked and does stamina based damage. Is that corect?
miyuka

Postby Sarmani on Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:49 am

miyuka wrote:I'm not entirely sure I fully understand what's all going on here with this spell if I'm being honest. If I get it, the gist of it is that it makes limbs that can help perform actions out of combat, and also help add bonuses to attacks in combat. In combat they can be attacked and does stamina based damage. Is that corect?

I am sorry I took so long to respond. I seriously thought I had replied to this.

That's pretty much it, though there's also the 'use melee actions as ranged actions' thing. The idea is a spell that could be used to give Arcana Mages the ability to remotely attack someone with multiple ghostly arms, since Arcana has a lot of powers involving creating constructs and translocation.
Sarmani Moretti, Researcher, mage, student of Water, mad scientist, vulpine/human hybrid, cool rational foxgirl
Other Characters: Reshen, Wisecracking Troll Warrior; Yarnat, Sadistic Fluffy Catmoriel Bard; Isolte, Ruby Draksen Ice-Queen Knight; Vaspire, Opportunistic Torian Thief; Welkyr, Cheery Wolven Mancatcher; Mizri, Enthusiastic Gladiatrix Moriel-orc
Sarmani
Adept
Adept

Postby miyuka on Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:08 pm

Aesthetically I understand where you're coming from and it does sound kewl, but mechanically, I'm just not feeling this one.
miyuka

Postby Sarmani on Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:18 am

miyuka wrote:Aesthetically I understand where you're coming from and it does sound kewl, but mechanically, I'm just not feeling this one.

Yeah alright.

Don't really have a way to make it less weird mechanically, but I get where you're coming from.
Sarmani
Adept
Adept

Postby miyuka on Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:50 pm

no worries, keep 'em coming, ain't nothing wrong with brainstorming stuff, it could be the thing to give someone else an idea.
miyuka

Return to Spells and Magic