Warlords and Racial Spells

Questions and suggestions for new spells, changes to spells and the magic system

Moderators: Stormbringer, Ehlanna

Warlords and Racial Spells

Postby Sanjin Koukyu on Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:57 am

Looking for answers or discussion regarding this topic.

Are racial spells under the Warlord Magic Ban or is the Racial Sphere just a catch all for racial abilities to give them presence and place?

Using my troll as an example, at level 25, he gets access to the spell 'Troll Regeneration', but if he'd taken Warlord at level 10, 15, etc, he'd only have access to OOB spells, which that does not fall under.

If a Moriel takes warlord, do they lose access to the Web spell, that they got at level 5?

Personal opinion: The racial sphere should be exempt from the Warlord spell-ban, since it's less magic and more the race's own abilities/capacities, especially since there are so few of them.

But! I understand if they are. Just some food for thought.
Sanjin Koukyu
Expert
Expert

Re: Warlords and Racial Spells

Postby Fiona Sharora on Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:06 am

For a warlord

<Desdaemona> The Spell Spheres you have access to are: None

So doesn't look like one is meant to get the racial abilities for your race. Question remains if you are meant to lose them when you become a warlord
Fiona Sharora
Predominate
Predominate

Postby Sanjin Koukyu on Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:11 pm

Oh, I realize that. And with the !warlord command by one of the admin, I believe (if what I saw was an indicator), it strips you of your spells.

From a technical standpoint, Warlords are supposed to be almost absolutely devoid of magic/spells save for OOB spells. And with every other spell sphere, it makes sense, since it's learned magic and all that.

But I feel that Racial Sphere Spells are unique in the fact that they're more or less learned 'abilities'? Like, the premise behind the Troll Regeneration spell is that it was developed due to a Troll's regeneration 'ability' that's stated in their racial write-up. Since Belariath doesn't have 'abilities' to play off of (which most of the racial spells should go), for the sake of technical ease, they were plunked into the next closest thing, which was a spell sphere.

It just feels weird to me that races that have racial spells either lose them when/if they become Warlords, which beside Torian and Magi*, the other races that have racial sphere spells, would lose them, or they can't ever get them to begin with, as is the case of Troll Warlord, who only has access to 3 advanced classes (Warrior-Mage, Earth Mage, and Warlord).

*Footnote: Should the Magi Specific Racial Sphere spells just go into the Magus Sphere, which is inherently a Sphere of Race Specific spells?
Sanjin Koukyu
Expert
Expert

Postby miyuka on Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:43 pm

it's all still magic, if the system removes them, then that's that. OOB only for warlords. That's just how it is.
miyuka

Return to Spells and Magic