Permanent Elemental Damage Enchantment

Questions and suggestions for new spells, changes to spells and the magic system

Moderators: Stormbringer, Ehlanna

Permanent Elemental Damage Enchantment

Postby Rhezha on Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:48 pm

So I was helping someone choose enchantments and I crunched the price again for getting a +3 elemental damage on a weapon. Then I compared it to permanent stat potions and realized that I couldn't ever really justify actually getting the permanent elemental damage enchantment. It would be really cool to have a weapon that deals elemental damage, but when I could just buy 27 permanent strength enhancing potions instead, it's really pointless to pay that much for a measly +3 damage. At the current pricing, the damage enchantments cost: 1800 for +1, 5000 for the second +1, and 15000 for the third +1, for a total of 21800 mehrials for +3 damage. Even with 25% price reduction on mithril, this is prohibitive.

So... I was wondering if there's any chance the damage enchantment could be reworked a little? Either by making it a little more accessible, or altering the breakpoint for damage bonuses, to make the maximum damage 5 or 8? That would definitely be at least slightly feasible at that price. I understand that 3 is a pretty good bonus, especially at lower levels, but at higher levels, it's almost nothing. And I doubt that anyone is willing to put that much gold into a protégé that's just joined. Let me know what you think! I would love to hear feedback on this subject.
Rhezha
Adept
Adept

Re: Permanent Elemental Damage Enchantment

Postby Ehlanna on Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:49 pm

Stat boosts enhance your chance to hit. Damage bonus affects the amount of damage done - not the same.
Ehlanna
High Council
High Council

Postby Rhezha on Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:23 pm

Ehlanna wrote:Stat boosts enhance your chance to hit. Damage bonus affects the amount of damage done - not the same.

Very true but if you analyze it statistically, then assuming the strike hits, the damage enchantment will add 3 flat damage, while the stat bonus will add ~1/4 the stat on average assuming they didn't max out the damage die. (At which point, 3 damage isn't likely to matter much anyways) Assuming this to be true, for the same price as a +3 damage enchantment, the buyer could get ~6 bonus damage (statistical average). Not to mention the increased strength would also make it more likely to hit in the first place.
Rhezha
Adept
Adept

Postby Ehlanna on Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:45 pm

If your 'in-use' stats are 50 each then a +4 stat bonus will add a potential 4% bonus to hit, if your stats are 1 100 each then that's just a potential 2%. Of course if they are just 25 each it's nice, handy potential 8%. Statistically the damage bonus granted by that stat bonus is around half, due to averages, etc.
The damage bonus, of course, only comes into effect if you hit, but if you do then it adds a fixed amount so a +4 damage bonus will add an extra, fixed 8% to damage.
Ehlanna
High Council
High Council

Postby Ray`el on Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:57 pm

not exactly on point but fitting something

this is why the higher your level the static stats matter less (and lower inversely matter more). as ie. a +10 to atk is huge when your combined dice vs defense is around 100 for both stats. and goes down for every % up.

this is why I also suggested upping the static stats awhile ago lol
Ray`el
Predominate
Predominate

Postby miyuka on Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:09 pm

We don't even allow +3 damage on things like Special items until it's a high end one, so there's that to consider as well. It is purposely expensive, though one could argue that was done way back when making mhl was an easier task to do, so I could see the argument for a price reduction, sure, but I don't think by much. Honestly if it were solely up to me I'd nix damage enchants completely and just leave such things for special items.
miyuka

Return to Spells and Magic