Bows and Enchantments

Questions and suggestions for new weapons, changes to weapons and the combat system

Moderators: Stormbringer, Ehlanna, Cleothina

Re: Bows and Enchantments

Postby Farvel on Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:33 pm

Vysanth wrote:Since bows can be enchanted with +5 enchantment and arrows can be enchanted with +5 too..

Composite Long Bow : +5 ATK
Bow Enchantment : +5 ATK
Arrow Enchantment : +5 ATK
Total : +15 ATK

Would that be right?

Ishtori wrote:As it stands now you are right Vysanth. a fully enchanted composite longbow is +10 attack and the ammunition adds to the attack of the bow so yes, it's possible to get +15 attack on a bow though you need to have a lot of money. 500 mhl per 10 shots at an extra +5 is not satisfatory. At least not for me.

This recently came up when I was doing an enchantment, and I also have a character who would be interested. Since this is the only mention I could find on the subject, and it's a 6 year-old thread, I'd like to confirm if the following is indeed true, for future reference:

- A bow (or crossbow) can hold one enchantment, as it's primarily made of wood. It can be enchanted for +5 ATK, or something else.

- Mithril tipped arrows (or bolts) can hold 3 enchantments, as they're mithril. The +1 ATK they come with is one of those enchantments, so they can be enchanted with a further +4 ATK, and two other enchantments.

- The above enchantments stack with each other, so if you're using an enchanted bow + arrows (or crossbow + bolts), you can get a +10 ATK bonus added to the bow's regular ATK value.
Farvel
Predominate
Predominate

Postby Naomh on Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:02 am

yes
yes
yes
Avatar courtesy of: Lucky/Isilindil : http://belariath.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=136186#p136186
Team member of: Dev, SI, Quest, Ops
Manager of: Sorcerous Sanctuary (Anaya), Unigo (Headmistress - Keani), Lodge of Strength (Head Priestess - Robyn)
Assistant manager of: Thallis (Lady of the Azure Isle - Naomh), Sutara's house (Majordomo - North), Arena (Records Keeper - Kateri)
Naomh
Predominate
Predominate

Postby Farvel on Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:56 pm

Naomh wrote:yes
yes
yes

Thanks. 8)
Farvel
Predominate
Predominate

Postby Rhezha on Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:25 am

Sorry to reawaken an age-old string, but upon reading it, a thought had occurred to me. I had my assumptions about this, but would like to have clarification if possible.

Ishtori wrote:As it stands now you are right Vysanth. a fully enchanted composite longbow is +10 attack and the ammunition adds to the attack of the bow so yes, it's possible to get +15 attack on a bow though you need to have a lot of money. 500 mhl per 10 shots at an extra +5 is not satisfatory. At least not for me.

The last statement would be very true if the mithril arrows couldn't be reused. However, since mithril is essentially impervious to most damage, it seems fair to say that such an arrow wouldn't break even if it strikes a rock (unlike conventional arrows.) Therefore, if the arrows could somehow be retrieved, you could use them again and again. Since the enchantments would be on the mithril arrow heads, you could simply replace the shafts and fletching if necessary and not have to worry about buying new mithril arrows and re-enchanting them. So then the question comes to an ability to retrieve the arrows. It goes without saying that some sort of system for arrow retrieval would be finicky and confusing, so instead I made the assumption that if the arrows were enchanted with locator anchor, the character could retrieve them as long as they had the opportunity to do so (They have a good 5 minutes or so ICly to seek out their wayward shots). Mostly looking for clarification on this possibility, or even the possibility of finding arrows without the locator anchor, with a familiar or a reasonable rp explanation.
Rhezha
Adept
Adept

Postby Farvel on Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:41 pm

Regular arrows/bolts are lost upon usage. Each time you fire them you need to use the !itemuse command to decrease the counter in your equip list by one.

Mithril arows/bolts can be retrieved and aren't lost upon usage. That's their main advantage, and why they're 50 times more expensive.
During a battle you'd likely be limited to those 10 usages unless you want to spend the turns required to pick them up (which would leave you vulnerable and exposed), but once the battle is over you can spend as much time as you want searching for them and picking them up.

There may of course be exceptions to this (like, if you shoot an arrow into a dragon, good luck getting it back :twisted: ), but that's the general rule.
Farvel
Predominate
Predominate

Postby miyuka on Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:20 am

What Farvel says is correct, and to add onto it, no there is no actual mechanic for in combat retrieval of arrows. You have a limited amount that you can fire in combat and then you're out. Retrieval is after the battle is said and done with.
miyuka

Previous

Return to Weapons, Armor and Combat