Bows and Enchantments

Questions and suggestions for new weapons, changes to weapons and the combat system

Moderators: Stormbringer, Ehlanna, Cleothina

Bows and Enchantments

Postby Miss Magical on Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:36 pm

Can bows hold one enchantment or two? One argument could be that they can only hold one, as they are made out of wood, the other could be that they can hold two, given that there are two very important components of a bow (wooden bow + cloth string) and, as such, they could hold two enchantments.

I'd love clarification on this, and would like to throw my hat into the side that votes for two enchantments. The strongest bow one can get gives a +5 attack modifier for 750 mehrials and arrows can only be enchanted (I would imagine) in clumps of ten, as they are sold for. Because there are no dice-benefits to using bows -- players can close the 50 yards you're shooting form in one round to use a clophyatk with 3 enchantments on their weapon -- it'd be nice if the differences in ranged and physical attack could be more mitigated, especially since the stats associated with close physical attacks lend better to defense than ranged physical attacks.
Never robust as a melody, only a broken chord to sing.
Miss Magical
Adept
Adept

Re: Bows and Enchantments

Postby miyuka on Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:01 pm

3 enchantments yes, but the 3 enchantments wouldn't add to their attack beyond one being a +5 to atk. I don't think a bow would work if it was made out of metal...so the only solution I could see would be enchanting the arrows themselves.
miyuka

Postby Ishtori on Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:50 pm

Are you sure about that Yuka? As far as I've known bows have always been restriced to one enchantment. That being said it's also true that there is no true benefict to enchanting anything else beyound the +5 attack enchantment unless you're really wanting to spend a king's ransom to permanently enchant a firebolt and gain +1 damage per 5 slots enchanted (yes there are other damage enchantments just using an example as they all work the same).

Also the best bow is not the elven warbow, that would be the composite long bow since it gives also +5 attack but also costs 500 mhl less... Course, you'll need more strenght to use it.
"The heavens burned
The stars cried out
And under the ashes of infinity
Hope, scarred and bleeding breathed it's last."
Ishtori
Expert
Expert

Postby miyuka on Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:07 pm

am I sure about what? You just said the exact same thing I did. Yes, you could get 3 enchants on a mithril weapon as opposed to the one you get with a bow. But like I said Arrows can be enchanted.

Anywho, to answer the orginal question bows are made primarily out of wood. They can hold one enchantment. If you'd like to make suggestions about alternatives or additions to this or to how arrows/bolts are done, please use the proper forum for it. I'd like to see some, personally, for bow and arrow stuff.
miyuka

Postby Ishtori on Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:49 pm

Sorry, I misunderstood what you said then.
"The heavens burned
The stars cried out
Ishtori
Expert
Expert

Postby Vysanth on Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:24 am

I recall this separate question being asked before, but I can't remember the reply.

Since bows can be enchanted with +5 enchantment and arrows can be enchanted with +5 too..

Composite Long Bow : +5 ATK
Bow Enchantment : +5 ATK
Arrow Enchantment : +5 ATK
Total : +15 ATK

Would that be right?
Vysanth
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Myra on Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:24 am

Please give us a few to go through this... as enchantments are being looked at...
Myra
Expert
Expert

Postby Ishtori on Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:00 am

As it stands now you are right Vysanth. a fully enchanted composite longbow is +10 attack and the ammunition adds to the attack of the bow so yes, it's possible to get +15 attack on a bow though you need to have a lot of money. 500 mhl per 10 shots at an extra +5 is not satisfatory. At least not for me.
"The heavens burned
The stars cried out
Ishtori
Expert
Expert

Postby L`aquera on Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:27 pm

Wow. +15? Dang, and I only get a +5 on my mithril sai! I'm using the wrong weapon all this time. :D
Don't breath, don't think.. for I am the shadow that will forever over take you..
L`aquera
High Council
High Council

Postby Ishtori on Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:09 pm

Yeah L, but only if you have the money to burn... That being said, you do have money and you do like to burn things. :P
"The heavens burned
The stars cried out
Ishtori
Expert
Expert

Postby Almondus on Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:12 pm

+15 , and if it fits the character to take a level of mage:

Harden Arrow:
Level required: 6
Casting method: ranmagatk
Defending method: ranmagdef

Description: Description: Casting this spell enables the caster to enchant one arrow per casting, with the power to add to its impact when it strikes its target. This takes one round to knock the arrow aim and fire.

:MECHANICS: Damage is considered basic ranged magical attack. If the opponent fails defense roll, damage is +1 per slot into this spell and normal damage dealt that overlaps what defense hasn't caught. The arrow can only be temporarily empowered when it's knocked into the bow, right before it's shot. This takes 1 stamina per slot put into the spell.

Though bows do act differantly then mithril swords I'd say that there's room to make very powerful attacks with them.
Almondus
Predominate
Predominate

Postby L`aquera on Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:44 pm

For a +15 Weapon that shoots long distances? Saving would be ideal for a weapon of that caliber that is only wood with its mithril tipped arrows. I see no room for complaint, especially with Alrens spell showing above on what else you could use. In all actuality, you would have a better weapon than most around who poured a lot into their own mithril weapons. So I'm rather astonished to see such digression into a depressive reply over a weapon that seems to me? Ideal. Especially for a ranger or warrior.
Don't breath, don't think.. for I am the shadow that will forever over take you..
L`aquera
High Council
High Council

Postby Zaira on Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:05 pm

Harden Arrow:
Level required: 6
Casting method: ranmagatk
Defending method: ranmagdef

Never quite understood this spell myself, as it's casting method is ranmagatk, but speaks of arrows and bows. I always figured it was a standard ranmagatk spell that used bow and arrow as the thematic aspect of the spell - and not that any sort of enchantment or bonus a bow offers would stack with it. I know it mentions damage, but it's an old spell that I think is out of date - back when there was no damage roll, so every spell technically added to damage.

I'm sure it's something on dev's plate that they'll get around to fixing up in the near future. From what I understand they are doing -a lot- of work lately (Yay). If the spell does work as pointed out, I think it's easy to agree that it doesn't fit with "mages", and is too potent (plus 15 damage for only the cost of 15 sta?).
Zaira
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Ishtori on Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:28 pm

It also requires a bow and arrows. Yes it's still strong but hey, I don't see the DEV nerfing the flamethrower as well for the same reasons the energy slap was nerfed.
"The heavens burned
The stars cried out
Ishtori
Expert
Expert

Postby Vladimir on Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:27 pm

The stated casting method in the current 'harden arrow' is definitely flawed, as its not intended as its own attack. The way I've used it in the distant past, and the way I've seen it used by others on an equally far-away day, is as a spell without its own casting roll.. the caster simply sacrifices an attack round to cast it, and in the following round gets a +mod to a single bow attack equal to slots invested. Definitely a beefy spell even in that format, could use a bit of balancing when its re-written in a way that makes sense... maybe +1 per 2 slots invested instead, something along those lines.
Full fathom five thy father lies; of his bones are coral made; Those are pearls that were his eyes: Nothing of him that doth fade, but doth suffer a sea- change into something rich and strange. Sea-Nymphs hourly ring his knell: Ding-dong, Hark! Now I hear them, - Ding-dong, Bell.
Vladimir
Predominate
Predominate

Next

Return to Weapons, Armor and Combat