Great Hammer *Suggestion*

Questions and suggestions for new weapons, changes to weapons and the combat system

Moderators: Stormbringer, Ehlanna, Cleothina

Great Hammer *Suggestion*

Postby Abellie on Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:07 pm

I have always liked the variety of weapons provided in the website, but something has come to my attention. Pardon if this post sounds rather self-serving; I have been thinking for quite some time now to eventually give my character Abby a giant hammer as her main weapon (it's supposedly meant to be symbolic to her character which I hope to shed some light to once I have to write up her biography[?]) and this whole time I had always figured it would be the War Hammer listed on the Weapon Price List.

Unfortunately I had just realized that the War Hammer is not even a two-handed weapon and is actually weaker than, say, the Great Sword; I eventually discovered that there is no hammer-equivalent to a Great Sword. And so I wish to suggest such a thing to be available for purchase if not just allow my character to have it custom-made for her one day.

I am unfamiliar with how the stats of the weapons are decided for the RP but here is what I believe would be a reasonable take on my suggested weapon:

Great Hammer
Description: A giant hammer known for its incredible weight but destructive crushing power. Difficult to wield except for those who do not possess the physical strength for it.
Strength (STR) Required: 36/38 (it is the same requirement for the Great Sword, but perhaps a hammer might be slightly heavier than a sword)
Attack Modifier: 8 (I go with the Great Sword's here as well since I am unfamiliar how it should be proportioned to the Strength Required)
Equipment Slots Used: 2
Number of Uses: 0 (0 = unlimited)
Two-Handed? Yes
Weapon Class: D
Price: 450.00 Mehrials (if made available for purchase in the Might Makes Right - same price as the Great Sword)

It is not made of mithrill and much like the Great Sword there should not be a mithrill version of this weapon. It has no magical qualities to it: it is very much just a very, very big hammer.
Abellie
Novice
Novice

Re: Great Hammer *Suggestion*

Postby Menhir on Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:13 pm

I'd have to throw in my general agreement with the 'need' for a War-Maul or 'Great Hammer' type of weapon. As well as an ax variant as well. It does seem like 'swords' were the only variant of weapon given a 'heavy' version.

Though in terms of just wanting to be simplistic with the code, you could -probably- have some rp crafting a 'Great Hammer/Axe' and then just purchase the greatsword through code and roleplay the weapon how you want it with the greatsword's stats. I don't know if that would be considered a work-around so that they don't have to codedly add anything else to the database, or if it would be considered an 'abuse' and they actually only want greatswords in game. But it really does add some flavor if you can see the more massive races walking around with giant hammers and axes as well.
Menhir
Adept
Adept

Postby crow on Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:55 pm

This is a good idea. ^^
The giant hammer is pretty iconic. (I suppose the giant axe is too.)
crow
Expert
Expert

Postby Ehlanna on Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:50 pm

My main issue with this is almost exactly what I read into crow's comment - iconic to what? If it's anime or games where swords are 32' thick or half a mile long and hammers weigh more than small planetary systems ... yeah, ok a slight exaggeration. A big weight on the end of a stick is very hard to use - but that all said I will have a ponder and look into what a maul (which we already have) or mattock could be.
Ehlanna
High Council
High Council

Postby crow on Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:13 pm

Ehlanna wrote:My main issue with this is almost exactly what I read into crow's comment - iconic to what? If it's anime or games where swords are 32' thick or half a mile long and hammers weigh more than small planetary systems ... yeah, ok a slight exaggeration. A big weight on the end of a stick is very hard to use - but that all said I will have a ponder and look into what a maul (which we already have) or mattock could be.

I meant Iconic to western High Fantasy. Things like Dungeons&Dragons, Lord of the Rings, Warhammer (a little on the nose? :wink: ), etc.
Like, as an example: If you do a google image for the word 'minotaur', half the pictures include a great axe.

I do understand what you are concerned with, but I don't think anyone is suggesting this:

But rather this:

Mind, I am not implying that because other settings have such weapons that TLI should have them. The game got along just fine without them. I was only pointing out it wouldn't generally clash within the western high fantasy setting of TLI, course it may still clash with the creator's vision for TLI, which is sufficient reason not to include it.
crow
Expert
Expert

Postby Abellie on Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:07 am

Yes, I would just like to clarify that what Crow says here is true: I am not looking into the weapons being ridiculously large hammers that you will only see in anime or video games, but more to the large hammers you see the Dwarves wield.

I would, however, agree with you about the maul being a potential substitute but the site shows that it has a strength requirement of 26 while the Great Sword has a strength requirement of 36. I may be wrong but I assume the strength requirement implies the weight of the weapon and the strength of the person that can even hope to lift it, let alone swing it around.

With that said, if a Great Sword with a 36 STR Requirement can exist, it should not be all too impossible for a hammer variant to exist as well - may not have to be the same size, but the weight and destructive power of such a weapon could still match that of a Great Sword's. This is, of course, my own take on this and if it clashes with the creators' views of how TLI should be, I can completely understand.
Abellie
Novice
Novice

Postby Ehlanna on Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:21 am

Code: Select all
[01:26] <Ehlanna> !list weapon great hammer
[01:26] <Desdaemona> Details about weapon: Great hammer
[01:26] <Desdaemona>  ATK rating: 8 Class: D
[01:26] <Desdaemona>  Str Req: 38 Cost: 425.00 Mhl Slots: 2
[01:26] <Desdaemona>  A giant hammer known not only for it's incredible weight but also it's destructive crushing power. Difficult to wield except for those who do possess the physical strength for it.
[01:26] <Desdaemona>   Full details at: www.belariath.com/php/arms/weapon.php#Greathammer
Ehlanna
High Council
High Council

Postby The Mercenary Abby on Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:13 am

Ehlanna wrote:
Code: Select all
[01:26] <Ehlanna> !list weapon great hammer
[01:26] <Desdaemona> Details about weapon: Great hammer
[01:26] <Desdaemona>  ATK rating: 8 Class: D
[01:26] <Desdaemona>  Str Req: 38 Cost: 425.00 Mhl Slots: 2
[01:26] <Desdaemona>  A giant hammer known not only for it's incredible weight but also it's destructive crushing power. Difficult to wield except for those who do possess the physical strength for it.
[01:26] <Desdaemona>   Full details at: www.belariath.com/php/arms/weapon.php#Greathammer

I cannot express just how thankful I am that the Great Hammer is now finally in the Weapon List; though, I can honestly say the wait has been worth it and it feels like an early Christmas gift :) Thank you very much, Ehlanna, and thank you Menhir and Crow for the support
"The best thing in life is finding someone who knows all of your flaws, mistakes, and weaknesses and still thinks you're completely amazing."
The Mercenary Abby
Predominate
Predominate

Return to Weapons, Armor and Combat