Chain Dagger / Chain Knife

Questions and suggestions for new weapons, changes to weapons and the combat system

Moderators: Stormbringer, Ehlanna, Cleothina

Chain Dagger / Chain Knife

Postby Sheyaeri on Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:49 pm

I have always liked these kinds of 'agility type' weapons that require some skill and training to use but then are stunning with their variety of uses and quick attacks that give the wielder the advance of suprise. If i remember right Stormbringer doesn't want too much asian influence in the game but i think it still is a perfectly viable weapon even if mainly used by Ninjas under the name of the Kyoketsu-Shoge. It's a dagger that is connected to an about 50 inches long chain at wich's end either a weight in form of a ball or even a ring is, sometimes even another dagger, a ninjato or a kama but all these variants are likely too complex for TLI so we ignore them and go with the weighted ball.

In close range it's simply a dagger but it can also be used for ranged attacks like a throwing dagger but is reusable thanks to the chain. Because of the chain i thought it could maybe be used for something else aswell that no weapon yet can do but some magics can, hitting multiple targets. Maybe it would cost 1 (or 2) additional stamina for each additional target hit while it can obviously not hit targets too far away nor in second row like some of the stated magical spells can and possibly not more then 5 or 6 targets per attack to balance it more.

I know that this weapon would implement a few new things for fighter classes and especially the AoE aspect needs quite some balancing and discussion but i hope we can find a few to make all happy, so here is my first idea of how it would look in the MMR:

Chain Knife
Description: A balanced dagger connected to a 50" chain with a weight at the end, can be used for melee and ranged attacks, can hit multiple targets
Strength (STR) Required: 5 (i have no idea what would be reasonable for balancing factors but guess it's not a heavy weapon)
Attack Modifier: 1 (again unsure what would balance it right but guess more would be too strong, maybe a mithril version with a Atk 2 modifier)
Equipment Slots Used: 1
Number of Uses: 0 (0 = unlimited)
Two-Handed? Yes
Weapon Class: A (or B? i dunno how the classes are done)
Price: 60.00 Mehrials
Sheyaeri
Novice
Novice

Re: Chain Dagger / Chain Knife

Postby Vexalicious on Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:03 pm

The biggest advantages of this type of weapon in real life would be the Range(Something we don't really have a system for here) and the defensive capabilities. As such, I would almost suggest making it a RanPhyAtk to use instead of the usual CloPhyAtk, however stat wise that would make it based on Str and Int instead of Agi at all...so maybe keeping it CloPhyAtk would make more sense for that. THe other thing I would suggest, is to show that defensive capability and perhaps make it a +1 Atk/+1 Def base on it...depending on how you use it you can modify your attack as a weapon or your defense as a 'shield'(the chain being swung to keep enemies back/certain attacks knocked aside)
Vexalicious
Novice
Novice

Postby Farvel on Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:58 pm

I don't see why this should be AoE. You can throw it at a target, pull it back and in the next round throw it at another target. I'd rather do without anime-style spinning attacks in this game.
Farvel
Predominate
Predominate

Postby miyuka on Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:10 am

I feel like such a weapon would go against the rule of:

Miscellaneous
Whips: No blades attached that slice and dice characters

That aside, I just don't see any real need to add such a weapon. Maybe save such a thing for a Special Item.
miyuka

Return to Weapons, Armor and Combat