Enchantments, attack, defenses.

Questions and suggestions for new weapons, changes to weapons and the combat system

Moderators: Stormbringer, Ehlanna, Cleothina

Enchantments, attack, defenses.

Postby Cayenne on Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:28 pm

As much as I feel like TLI could seriously use a level cap for improving the combat statistics of your character, there are many people who would feel robbed of their progress and the endless cycle of levels I suppose is one of the inherent qualities of the game.

That said, looking at how spell slots, attack and defense statistics work I feel like the system would be better if it was percentage based instead of adding numerals to the final tally.

What this fixes.

Makes weapons, armour, and spells more worthwhile for later levels. As a character progresses the boon of their sword, or the difference expensing spell slots provides takes a nosedive.

Prevents a well equipped low level from becoming untouchable to another. They still get a boon to every roll, but not a invulnerability to all but the perfect strike.

I helps with situations where you might feel like there is no point rolling as you cannot exceed their defense bonus.

It makes great rolls even better, and poor rolls stay poor.
Cayenne
Adept
Adept

Re: Enchantments, attack, defenses.

Postby crow on Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:20 pm

Interesting idea.
So for example instead of someone rolling !clophydef +45, they instead roll !clophydef @145%?
crow
Expert
Expert

Postby Cayenne on Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:27 pm

crow wrote:Interesting idea.
So for example instead of someone rolling !clophydef +45, they instead roll !clophydef @145%?

Something along those lines, I do realize a 15 percent increase if taken 1 to 1 would not be worth the money investment, but as a whole I feel would better represent combat with better equipment and more magical knowledge without tipping the scales too far away from those without.

As it would naturally scale with your character with stat increases it would never tarnish the worth of your investment later on.

Since stats are used to display your ability in combat and are not necessarily reflective of their physical and mental attributes, making weapons and spells become a percentage works alongside that as a tool is only as useful as the skill of the one who wields it.

My thought was it would be around 10 to 50 percent range ideally. As to never be equal or over your specific roll, though I'm sure the balance could be worked out.
Cayenne
Adept
Adept

Postby Farvel on Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:53 pm

Wouldn't this simply increase the already huge discrepancy between levels?
Farvel
Predominate
Predominate

Postby Cayenne on Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:08 pm

Farvel wrote:Wouldn't this simply increase the already huge discrepancy between levels?

There really isn't much difference between a level 11 and a level 12. If you're talking about larger spans you still need the good roll for a percentage to make a difference. As it stands between spending points on magical slots a higher level already has more opportunity - not to mention stats. This just makes equipment more impact across all the levels (Though, less in the beginning stages).

It would be interesting to see it performed as a test run at various levels.
Cayenne
Adept
Adept

Return to Weapons, Armor and Combat