Net (New Weapon Suggestion) Whip (tweak)

Questions and suggestions for new weapons, changes to weapons and the combat system

Moderators: Stormbringer, Ehlanna, Cleothina

Net (New Weapon Suggestion) Whip (tweak)

Postby Ellyssa_Flamewing on Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:17 am

In combat with a purely melee character today, I encountered a situation in which my torian was able to fly and shoot arrows and was able to completely outmatch her ground-bound opponent. In discussing it ICly with the character, she suggested that the NEXT time, she would remove the flying from the equation with a net! That got me thinking. Would it be possible to have a new "weapon" or two made that would be useful for such a scenario or more generally in combat or for capturing slaves. So here is my rough suggestion:

Weighted Net (takes two slots)
0 damage
Takes one full round to remove during which the snared individual can only roll defense at at 25% penalty. (Could require rolling against the opponents clophyatk to disengage from the net, but that may be too much)

Based on the design of a fishing net, large enough to cover a man, wrapping around his limbs, entangling him if thrown well. OR can be thrown at the wings of a natural flyer to render them incapable of flight (until disengaged or end of combat)

Barbed Net (takes three slots)
1damage per round that it is wrapped
Takes one full round to remove during which the snared individual can only roll defense at at 25% penalty. (Could require rolling against the opponents clophyatk to disengage from the net, but that may be too much)

A crueler (and heavier) version of the Weighted Net, this net incorporates cruel metal barbs that dig into the flesh of the victim, doing constant damage with every movement until removed. OR can be thrown at the wings of natural flyers to render them incapable of natural flight until healed.

Additionally, the whips will take a full round during which the ATTACKER may only roll defense in order to collect the net for a second throw.

Whip (mechanics tweak)

The attacker may, upon a successful ranphyatk roll "snag" or "trip" an opponent. A successful attack roll will, in addition to hindering someone from fleeing on foot or in the air, give the defender a 30% disadvantage to attack rolls for as long as the whip is held to a maximum of five rounds. The defender can sacrifice one round during which they may only roll defense to disengage from the whip. (possibly have them surpass the original ranphyatk total). The attacker may release the whip at any time, but as long as they are holding they whip, their attacks are made at a 15% disadvantage and are restricted to one-handed attacks.
Ellyssa_Flamewing
Expert
Expert

Re: Net (New Weapon Suggestion) Whip (tweak)

Postby Farvel on Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:55 am

For the whip, I'd suggest that the attacker can choose which limb to target, and then standard penalties for fighting without such limb should apply. Also, having to lose a turn disentangling from it should be good enough of a penalty, adding a defense roll (i.e. losing a turn for something that has a good chance of failing) seems a bit much, and it's not like removing a whip attached to a limb should be that hard really.
Farvel
Predominate
Predominate

Postby Rhezha on Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:22 am

I agree with Farvel on his points, I think that would be ideal for the whip. Just maybe use clophyatk instead of ranmagatk, since they aren't actually propelling anything. I would also keep disadvantages to 25% or 50% just so people aren't required to remember exactly which things do how much disadvantage.

As for the nets, it seems like the weights of the net would drag down a person who is using magic to fly, and I can't imagine them being able to focus well whilst being entangled in a net. Furthermore, I'm not sure I agree with the equipment slot requirements. Seems like a strength requirement would be sufficient to limit use of the barbed one. Someone could simply get the basic net since it costs fewer equipment slots and enchant it to do damage. Also, I think you could have a third one with blades instead of barbs which would render a natural flier's wings unusable until they're healed, I just can't see little barbs doing that much damage to them, unless you specify that the barbs are large enough to rend wings. You could also make the victim choose between attacking and removing the net by allowing them to attack at 50%, since they wouldn't really be affected by the 25% reduction to defense except in group combat. (Round 1: Attacker uses net. Defender removes net. Round 2: Attacker attacks with no bonus.) Also would need a caveat that it can't be enchanted with "Not Removable" if that's still an enchantment...

I really like the idea! Makes it so physical classes aren't required to buy a bow or something. I hope my suggestions aren't too confusing and awkward...
Rhezha
Adept
Adept

Postby VanMasterson on Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:26 am

*sings whip it whip it good!
VanMasterson
Adept
Adept

Postby Farvel on Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:47 am

Agreed, equipment slot cost seems way too high, anything other than 1 is overkill.
Farvel
Predominate
Predominate

Postby Ellyssa_Flamewing on Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:31 am

The thought was that the nets are big and cumbersome for one thing. But the other side of that is that if you're making a weapon that can remove flying from the tactical equation it should be costly to equip/deploy or else everyone is gonna get one...
Ellyssa_Flamewing
Expert
Expert

Postby Rida_Cherryglade on Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:00 am

I like the idea.. it gives physical classes more options. A chance to debuf their oponent and it gives many rp opertunities for slavers and such.. It would also give flying races a intresting tool as well as they could drop the net from above. I think the high slot cost makes sence as well as nets tend to be cumbersom and need to be to be efective..
Rida_Cherryglade
Expert
Expert

Return to Weapons, Armor and Combat