Paired Weapons

Questions and suggestions for new weapons, changes to weapons and the combat system

Moderators: Stormbringer, Ehlanna, Cleothina

Paired Weapons

Postby Rhezha on Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:44 pm

Looking at the weapons, I realize that there could be a lot of balancing alterations, but that some of them might be difficult to implement without changing the whole game or making the loadouts that characters have useless. However, there's at least one that I feel could be changed without too much concern.
So I was looking at the weapon lists and noticed that both iron claws and tonfas come in pairs. The iron claws have a single option as well, but honestly it seems silly that someone would have to buy both items if they wanted to be able to use the same weapon both ways. Similarly, if someone wanted to use a one-handed, nonlethal weapon, their only choice is club, since tonfas only come in pairs. I recognize there's a style of fighting with paired tonfas that makes fighting with only one more difficult, but that could easily be reflected in a reduction of attack modifier.
Another thing that seems strange is that the paired iron claws are worse in every way over the single one: they take 2 slots, they don't do any more damage, and they take two hands to use.

I feel as though these issues could be resolved with a relatively simple rule:
Both tonfas and iron claws come in pairs, but a character can opt to use only a single one for half the attack value (rounded up) if they choose and state as such in the scene. They would receive full value of enchantment though since an enchantment isn't any weaker across two items. (My thinking is that enchantments allow a weapon to penetrate defenses more easily, and most of the time only one weapon is striking at a time, even if both are being used.)
These would also take a single equipment slot since they are both relatively small weapons and don't have much of a bonus in any case.

This would allow players who like the style of these weapons to use them without sacrificing too much functionality that they might have with a better weapon.
Rhezha
Adept
Adept

Re: Paired Weapons

Postby miyuka on Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:54 pm

The damage is fine. Clawed single or paired should do the same damage as the only difference Combat wise is that you're dual wielding, which in this game is simply an aesthetic thing. That they take up 2 equip slots would make sense as you are essentially getting two weapons for a discounted price, if it weren't for the fact that the paired tonfa only took up one. Tonfa paired should more than likely take up 2 equipment slots as well as have a single option. Alternatively, the single option could just be removed, and the weapons can just come in pairs only. Either way the damage would remain the same, however.
miyuka

Return to Weapons, Armor and Combat