Thieves guild reboot

Questions and suggestions for new locations, business plans, and changes to shops or other places around the empire

Moderators: Stormbringer, Ehlanna

Re: Thieves guild reboot

Postby Dante_Ambrogio on Thu May 14, 2020 1:20 am

This doesn't seem to have been touched in awhile, though I have a character that would be interested (I would make her specifically for being in the guild and eventually rising to leadership in it) in being a part of an actual active Thieves Guild. Have been refraining from building a thief because it just hasn't seemed all that feasible from what I've seen.
Loves bite is eternal, welcome or otherwise. Once bitten it twines with your very soul and can never be forgotten

Player of: Dante Ambrogio, Victus Ambrogio|Naut|, Kat`ryn Quel`dalre, Elizabeth Graesyn, Vex Windstrider, Valithren Caradoc, Daelmaron Fyresong, Morgran Fireforge, Feindhara Ingolfr, Gashan Nakajima,
Dante_Ambrogio
Expert
Expert

Postby Dante_Ambrogio on Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:56 am

So, I am not sure if the OP here is even still in TLI so I would actually like to put myself forward as someone willing to head up a rebooted Thieves Guild.

I have a character that I had been planning on creating and playing before I had to take my LOA and now that I am back I would really like to see a functional Thieves Guild in TLI that actually has some sort of benefit for thieves/rogues ICly and this post reminded me of it when I perusing my posts so I am not only bumping the post again but also putting myself forward as someone willing to step up into the position of a potential leader
Loves bite is eternal, welcome or otherwise. Once bitten it twines with your very soul and can never be forgotten

Player of: Dante Ambrogio, Victus Ambrogio|Naut|, Kat`ryn Quel`dalre, Elizabeth Graesyn, Vex Windstrider, Valithren Caradoc, Daelmaron Fyresong, Morgran Fireforge, Feindhara Ingolfr, Gashan Nakajima,
Dante_Ambrogio
Expert
Expert

Postby Dante_Ambrogio on Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:27 am

Kooky wrote:
Logolar wrote:See. TLI isn't the environment where people should band together. If they steal from a person, let that person deal with it. It shouldn't effect you. If they steal something where you both would benefit, then you step in. It effects you because of how your pay was effected. Then and only then is it ok for you to seek revenge against a person. This is not RL morals, and we have to remember it. This is a land where might makes right, and you are seen to be weak if you rely on others.

I agree with that from looking at the site, reading about the world, understanding how it all is designed and set up... but I disagree fully based on the actual play that occurs that I have seen beyond myself or been a part of. It's not a discussion for here in this thread in particular, but based off of the actual play that goes on IC and interactions, and seeing others likewise band together beyond the aspects of realism, the play that is current drastically varies from the initial design. And in ANY society where there exist underdogs or weaklings, the underdogs and weaklings WILL band together for comfort and strength, or find strong people to band with. That is society, real and fantasy alike, in a nutshell.

That said.. I reeeeally hope this revamp then can be one of those things that brings back the need for might, the dark, the theme that is the initial. The Thieves Guild has ALL that potential and then some. The dark dreary alleys are meant to instill fear for a reason... I want to help influence that reason.

If people want to band together, then backstabbing is always an option! And a fun one too.

I get that TLI has morals... and has a set design.. but have you noticed that not every player or character goes with that design? In all my time of playing here, half of what is stated to be the norm for in the game, like even with Herms being abominations or gray swans being snubbed and lower than other swans, is not how gameplay goes, even when the players of such have their characters fit with the standard.

That said.. guilds are guilds. They have a community base, no matter what. They are made of like-minded individuals who do all of this at once: help others, help themselves, help the guild.

That said, if this is how THIS guild is run, then that needs to be decided on and stated before ANYthing else is decided, because the ideals of the guild are what influence each and every other decision about how things are done.

Guild
[gild]
Spell Syllables
Examples Word Origin
noun
an organization of persons with related interests, goals, etc., especially one formed for mutual aid or protection.
any of various medieval associations, as of merchants or artisans, organized to maintain standards and to protect the interests of its members, and that sometimes constituted a local governing body.

So that is the very definition of a guild. If it is anything else, it is NOT a guild, but merely using the world guild in namesake only in the guise of an organization of some other type.

That said.. seriously guys... there could be two different thief groups if that's the route people want to go. One run one way, one run another, rivals of the same territory. It sounds like there's conflict over what people want in a guild, two distinct desires. One for the loners, one for the banding together. It would inspire play for sure.

Honestly I think this is the most apt comment here and historically speaking it was not uncommon to have two competing Thieves Guild's exist in the same area disputing each others territory and having a "secret" shadow war that was influencing that area at large. The Thieves Guild that exists currently is nothing more than a background figurehead that nobody does anything with because there is no reason to; there is no reason to incorporate it into the story of any character, there is no reason to reference it; there is just no cause to do anything with it because in the grand scheme of the active game it is worthless and it serves no purpose. Reviving it and developing it and giving it a purpose (whether it is split into two separate factions within the same guild, two different guilds competing, or otherwise) would give characters that are thieves another layer of depth they can interact with and like has been mentioned above creates a possibility to have actual quests and things that are for the cloak and dagger and espionage style of play and not just the brute and sexual side of things that exist.

Dante_Ambrogio
Expert
Expert

Previous

Return to Location, Location, Location