Character Race. / Cross-Racing.

Questions and suggestions for additions or changes to these topics

Moderators: Stormbringer, Ehlanna

Character Race. / Cross-Racing.

Postby Darkwolfe on Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:09 pm

Is there such a thing as having your character cross-bred into another race? As in, magically induced with dna from a different race - giving your character a half-breed race? I notice you can 'reset' and you can have multiple classes, though does the same apply for race?

And if so, where would I find this info., I have been skimming through the boards and the site and very little luck. Forgive me if there is already a current thread; and my eyeballs glossed over it.
Darkwolfe
Novice
Novice

Re: Character Race. / Cross-Racing.

Postby miyuka on Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:23 pm

no. You can be born a halfbreed. The races section of the site states what primary and secondary you can be:

Half-Breeds
As well as the single races, there are certain combinations available. Note that only those listed can be used here. Also half-breeds are considered sterile, so they cannot have descendents involving any more complex mix of races. For the purposes of stats and abilities, only those of the primary race are counted. The secondary race is for aesthetic reasons, modifying appearance but having no other effect. So if the secondary has wings, for example, you do not gain flight without the relevant spell. Only a primary with wings would give automatic flying ability.

Primary Races For Half-Breeds
Human
Elf
Sheyka
The Tribe
Cat Person
Secondary Races For Half-Breeds
Human
Elf
Cat Person
Torian
Chirot
Goblin
Dwarf
Halfling
Vulpine
Wolven
Note for character creation: If creating a half-breed use the primary for the Base Race and add the secondary into Race Description.
miyuka

Postby Farvel on Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:05 pm

Just to be clear: you can do a reset and pick a different race than you started with, but halfbreeds are limited to the combinations above.

Resets should be requested here. Use other players' posts as a guide on what to do. Bear in mind there's a limit of resets after which your character starts losing levels.
Farvel
Predominate
Predominate

Postby Darkwolfe on Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:27 pm

miyuka wrote:no. You can be born a halfbreed. The races section of the site states what primary and secondary you can be:

Even if it's for stroyline purposes? Example, "a human gets kidnapped by a band/clan/guild of dark elves, the high priestess of the band/clan/guild then turns the human into her slave for a irrelevant amount of time. Then upon his release/escape he realizes he now has elven blood flowing through his system due to ...idk; magical curse or perhaps a rape gone extremely bad?" -- I'm just throwing ideas around.

Farvel wrote:Resets should be requested.

And when you character reset, that resets your entire character, correct? Meaning you start from 0xps and basic level 1 Stats, or?

Reason I'm asking, and I think it would be good for the entire community even. As I'm still on the fence about alot of things with this setting/game/realm, I thought it may be good idea to allow my character a breif "time-out" per`se. Have him get kidnapped by something or someone, and then basically monologue for awhile as I try and get a better grasp on the gameplay, combat sys, player personalities, etc.

Also, I thought it would a bit more interesting if he was more than a mere Human, given the style of player I am and the character background/description etcetra, etcetera.

Just a random thought to better myself as a player/character and of course to better fit into the ..community here.
Darkwolfe
Novice
Novice

Postby Adonai on Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:10 pm

Reset just means you remake your char, you keep everything items, level, money all that. 3 resets free then 5 level loss.
Let the warriors clamor after gods of blood and thunder; love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides, and life and death alike follow in its wake.
Adonai
Expert
Expert

Postby Adonai on Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:12 pm

Granted, if still a level one you can always just remake and keep that 1 free reset for another time.
Let the warriors clamor after gods of blood and thunder; love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides, and life and death alike follow in its wake.
Adonai
Expert
Expert

Postby L`aquera on Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:19 pm

Or, just make another char. as a half breed using the guide above ;) We don't do dna, this isn't the future or the now but rather a Lord of the Rings settings with all limitations and technology a no have.
Don't breath, don't think.. for I am the shadow that will forever over take you..
L`aquera
High Council
High Council

Postby Farvel on Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:56 am

Yeah if the character is level 1 it's just simpler to delete it and make a new one, you lose hardly anything and don't add to the reset counter (which after 3 times makes you start losing levels).
Farvel
Predominate
Predominate

Postby Darkwolfe on Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:18 am

Thank you(s) !!

Well, seeing as it takes forever and a day to gain any experience (my only goal with XP is for armor/weapons/items) and there is no set standard, thus the "mystery" behind leveling your character And, it seems to me (just my opinion) it's based on word-count, not actual ability(s). I'm not too savvy on the idea of starting a brand new character.

I would say I don't want to delete, but further add to the already existing storyline. Though the more I read and the more I learn about Belariath as a whole. It pretty much said in stone; this is not a place for character implant, no matter how well you -- tone them down -- which would make a player as myself basically just have to start from scratch. And the snob in me says; fuuuuuug that!

..But okie dokie all the same.
I'm a one-trick pony over here.
Darkwolfe
Novice
Novice

Postby L`aquera on Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:08 am

You CAN make more char. There isn't some odd limitation. Just ask Miyuka or Thunder ;)
Don't breath, don't think.. for I am the shadow that will forever over take you..
L`aquera
High Council
High Council

Postby Darkwolfe on Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:25 am

L`aquera wrote:You CAN make more char. There isn't some odd limitation. Just ask Miyuka or Thunder ;)

Well, miss L`, one of my only friends here ;]

For players like myself that are "One-trick-ponies" building and playing an entirely new/other character is almost out of the question. Not to mention when you play the same character after two decades; players tend to get attached in a way. Or at least I do. I don't really enjoy playing anyone other than the character I created, with the exception of tweaking him here and there to fit multiple-realms.
Darkwolfe
Novice
Novice

Postby miyuka on Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:50 am

Considering how little you've been here, I'd say play your char as you do (so long as as you do fits within the scope and rules of the game) and then later n down the line once you get used to things try a new character, and if not well you're kind of stuck with what you make as far as race is concerned. Getting a reset is one thing (change of class) gettng a race reset takes a bit more convincing as you need a really really good story line reasoning as to why you're doing such a thing.

Otherwise it's a no for what you are asking for. It's simply just not how the game works and not how SB wants his game to be. (SB being StormBringer, the guy who owns the game).
miyuka

Postby Darkwolfe on Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:24 am

Alright, alright..

Thank you(s) !!
Darkwolfe
Novice
Novice

Return to Races, Classes and Skills