Ranked General Skills Questions and Answers

Questions and suggestions for additions or changes to these topics

Moderators: Stormbringer, Ehlanna

Re: Ranked General Skills Questions and Answers

Postby RedRaven on Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:40 am

Not usually. In the case of Animal Handling it WILL Increase your (Overtime) pay, IF you work at the Sorcerous Sanctuary, and have a magical class, so you are able to summon familiars.
RedRaven
Initiate
Initiate

Postby RedRaven on Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:34 am

Though as far as effecting how much you get paid.... you also need to have the skill at Master level in order for it to make a difference.
RedRaven
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Tawny on Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:34 am

Ok have found myself in a job that there is not ranked skills for because mages are not allowed on the ranked skill of Horsemanship. Saluna tends the Horse and Jhore for Tamryns house. She trains them and work them out both horse and Jhore. Was wondering if Mages could be added to the ranked skill of Horsemanship or a new skill made for such a job. Anyone got anything to say about mages being added to horsemanship? Dont really understand why they wouldnt be able to do this skill. Just becuase they do magic dont mean they cant ride a horse and ride it well.
Tawny

Postby Sorgram on Sat May 11, 2013 2:55 am

On that, I was thinking. why not make some ranks for animal handling.
Animal Handling
N - - Recognizes a chicken and can toss feed to it.
A - Knows there are various kinds of beasts and can feed the smaller ones, chickens, geese, with no issue, managed to herd and move them with a bit of assistance, partner.
J- Manages medium sized animals as far as feeding an grooming, can herd smaller animals with little to no assistance. Medium animals require assistance such as a partner or one herd animal, ie a dog.
E- Can groom and feed large animal without being bit too often, can herd medium sized animals, such as goats and sheep with ease and little assistance. Can manage two herd animals with larger herds
M - Can herd large animals with ease and little assistance, but can manger up to three herd animals with skill and maneuver animals as large a jhore.
Sorgram
Op
Op

Postby Diandra Hayden on Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:12 pm

Can anyone link me to where the rules on skills are? I'm having trouble finding it. You get 1 general skill point per level, correct? General skill points are used to buy "Ranked General skills". What about unranked general skill? Are you allowed to take as many of those as is plausible for rp, or do you have to spend points on those as well? Also, the titles of the two threads I have found both say "general skills" in them. That implies there is a list of more specific skills as well. Is there? Can someone tell me where that list is as well?

Thank you,
Diandra
Diandra Hayden
Novice
Novice

Postby Sorgram on Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:51 pm

You get one skill point to spend on General skills and Ranked skills. Starting out you have 5 at level 1, generally what you learned as you grew up. As you level, you can advance in a Ranked skill or pick up general skills.

General Skills
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=3584

Ranked (Profession Skills)
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=3585

S.
Sorgram
Op
Op

Postby Diandra Hayden on Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:46 pm

Do certain classes, or races start out with certain skills besides the standard 5? like as a Turian, does Diandra start with the "Language: Turian" skill, and the "Language: Common" skill? Or would I have to use one or two of her starting 5 allowed Skill points just on laguage?
Diandra Hayden
Novice
Novice

Postby Naomh on Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:16 pm

As I understand it, these skills are free, and you have the OPTION of taking them:

Speak language: Common
Speak language: Racial language (If your race has one)
Read/write language: common
Read/Write language: Racial language (If your race has one)

If you choose to exclude any of the above at character creation (choose to, not accidentally due to lack of knowing), then it will cost a skill pointy later to get it, for instance my mage Keani knew a lot of languages, but not how to read or write in any of them. ICly she found out how important that was and took lessons and at level 2 she spent her level 2 skill slot for read/write: Common.

Finally, if you are a halfbreed, your racial language is your primary race (sylvan/wolven halfbreed's racial language is sylvan, due to the wood elf being the primary race)
Avatar courtesy of: Lucky/Isilindil : http://belariath.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=136186#p136186
Team member of: Dev, SI, Quest, Ops
Manager of: Sorcerous Sanctuary (Anaya), Unigo (Headmistress - Keani), Lodge of Strength (Head Priestess - Robyn)
Assistant manager of: Thallis (Lady of the Azure Isle - Naomh), Sutara's house (Majordomo - North), Arena (Records Keeper - Kateri)
Naomh
Predominate
Predominate

Postby Logolar on Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:07 am

If I remember, reading/writing isn't automatically given. I would have to search through my logs, but the with the setting it's just not common.
The player of: Gravik, Falador, and logolar.
Logolar
Expert
Expert

Postby Amara on Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:03 am

Anaya has it correct according to Yuka. It's inherent unless you omit it during character creation then, it will cost you a point in skills if you want to add it in at a later date.
Avatar courtesy of: Lucky/Isilindil: viewtopic.php?p=136186#p136186

"If my heart could beat, it'd beat for you." Valley of Silence

"And yet you did not chose me blindly. Certain expectations were aroused.
Let's not be coy; you were hoping I would satisfy all the desires you're
too shy to name, or at least show you a good time." The Crimson Petal and the White
Amara
Predominate
Predominate

Postby Joytoy on Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:33 am

Figured I should put this here, my apologies for not realizing there was a topic related specifically to suggestions, questions and answers for Ranked General Skills.

So, all edited and what not, here they are:

Ranked Skill: Masseur
Available to: (Any Class)

Novice: Masseur - You learn the basics of back, shoulder and neck massage for basic tension release as well as appropriate oils to sooth, arouse, cool, warm etc.

Apprentice: Masseur - Arms, legs, hands and feet are added to a trainee's repertoire. Pressure points are also introduced at this point. At this point all you do is relieve tension and stress.

Journeyman: Masseur - By this point you are able to distinguish muscle knots and nerve clusters and how to work them out. Aromatherapy is included in the training of a Masseur at this point to better sooth and relax the client.

Expert: Masseur- Acupuncture is introduced at this level of knowledge, able to identify pressure points and nerve clusters to best maximize the skill. Injuries can also be treated if they are sprains, pulled muscles, limps etc - to help improve movement and comfort in healing.

Master: Masseur- With touch alone, a Master Masseur can identify ailments of the muscle, tension and immediately correct the strain with any of the skills learned in their training. Yoga is also something most Masseur Master to assist in maintaining their own bodies, and can instruct others for continued strength and body flexibility. From numbing a limb, to inducing sleep, a Master Masseur is nearly as good as a Healer for any body aches, pains or injuries involving muscle/tendon/nerves.

Ranked SKill: Grooming

Novice: Grooming - Able to bathe another individual, hair, body, hair trimming and clipping of finger & toenails as well as post bath care - Hair drying, brushing and applying lotion.

Apprentice: Grooming - Knows specific lotions and/or oils that are good for skin, hair, fur or scales. Simple facial plucking . Can also perform pedi/manicures and has learned how to trim hair and facial hair and is familiar with the use of colognes and perfumes and soaps.

Journeyman: Grooming – Straight razor shaving is acquired at this level. Facial shaving and styling learned. Facial skin treatments and cosmetics are also learned (hot towel use, facial treatment) along with cutting hair into different styles and more elaborate arrangements. Can paint nails simple, single colors and knows how to make cologne/perfume.

Expert: Grooming - Waxing – facial only. Mud baths, hot wax skin treatments and extensive make-up knowledge and application. Elaborate haircuts and styles are familiar and can pain designs on nails (flowers, leaves, simple filigree, geometric patterns etc). Knows how to make lotions and oils.

Master: Grooming – Genitalia and body waxing, hair dying/bleaching. Unguent skin peels, elaborate and exotic make-up styles and designs as well as intricate nail art is available. A Master also knows how to make their own dyes, stains and nail paints and can do Henna designs.

Also I had another concept after looking through the various Ranked and Unranked skills. There was one area I thought could possibly use a little refining.

Languages - Spoken and Languages - Reading/Written. Because there is apparently a language for nearly every race, I thought there would be a better way of generalizing this and giving it some quality as well as import to the diversity of races/cultures and various ethnic groups here in TLI.

The areas I think this would be great for many areas, especially jobs. Speaking other languages can help make someone more comfortable especially if common isn't their first language, and would aid in relations between nobles, traders etc. So Temple Workers, Shop Workers, House Employees, Ambassadors, Aides, various Military minded individuals as well as Mages, Researches, Travelers, Merchants etc...

((Plus it would definitely clean up 'Skill' listings as you could go
Linguistics: Novice (Native: Common. 1. Dark Elf (spoken) 2. Dwarven (spoken))
Linguistics: Apprentice 1. Dark Elf (all) 2. Dwarven (all) 3. Sheykan (spoken) 4. Vulpine (spoken) 5. Chirot (spoken)
Etc etc...))

Ranked Skill: Linguistics

Novice: Linguistics - The aspiring linguist can read and write their native tongue as well as speak two other languages. They can only speak and understand these languages, they are not capable of reading and writing them yet. They know some of the slang. (3 Languages spoken and Native Written/Read only)

Apprentice: Linguistics - Tending to ones study, they linguist has learned how to read and write their first two languages and has become proficient in speaking 3 other languages. Some slang and honorifics are known of these languages. (Total of 5 languages spoken/2 Written/Read)

Journeyman: Linguistics - Becoming more adept and focused on learning languages, the Linquist is now able to speak, read and write 8 languages other than their native tongue.

Expert: Linguistics - Not only gifted with languages, the speaker can also teach others languages that are not their native tongue. The Linguist now can speak, read and write 12 Languages. They also are well versed in slang and honorifics regarding them.

Master: Linguistics - At this level of expertise, a linguist can speak 15 different languages and can easily pick up new tongues and dialects as well as read and write the languages they known and decipher those they come across that they did not know originally.
Beating, whipping, piercing, breaking, scarring, kissing, biting, licking, fucking, bleeding, aching, waiting, stroking, begging, longing, craving...
Joytoy
Initiate
Initiate

Previous

Return to Races, Classes and Skills