Rune Knight, a Replacement for Warrior-Mage

Questions and suggestions for additions or changes to these topics

Moderators: Stormbringer, Ehlanna

Re: Rune Knight, a Replacement for Warrior-Mage

Postby Freelance on Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:56 am

I was ironically thinking of a class replacement called Rune Knight for the past few month, or at least creating a spell for the WaM called Runic Blade, in honor of the FF5 class, altered to fit more into this game.

Runic Blade
By spending a round to cast this spell, the WaM/RK enchants his/her blade with an arcane spell, increasing the final damage s/he can do to his/her opponent. The number of ranks of the spell can neither surpass Runic blade or the Arcana spell. (Ex: if the warrior has 3 ranks of Runic Blade, but 10 ranks of Flame Bolt, the blade can only do three more points of damage. Likewise, if the caster has 7 ranks of Runic Blade, but only two of Ice shards, the weapon can only do two more points of damage).

It takes concentration to maintain the spell, so every round costs the same amount of stamina as it would to cast the spell, hit or miss. The damage is calculated post-damage roll, so an attack that has the fore-mention flame Bold would do 3 more points of damage. However, if the roll does not connect, then the stamina is wasted. (EX: if you need a 66 to hit and roll a 64, you do not add the 3 from the Flame Bolt to your attack roll and you miss). If you use the !evade ability to restore your stamina, then the spell dissapaites, and you have to spend another round casting it once again.
Freelance quotes:
"Over two millenia I've tried to help, and humanity's still screwed up. Do I need to pull out the clue bat or something?"
"Might does not make right; it's to defend it."
Freelance
Initiate
Initiate

Postby miyuka on Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:09 pm

These should really be in the magic section, may get more eyes on it too.
miyuka

Postby Tawny on Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:15 am

Hmmm give the WaM new spells...sure. work on some new weapons or fancy do dads Heck yea, but do away with The warrior mage and replace it with something else... Nope not a good idea at all. I know I wouldnt want to have to redo Shasha and all the time and effort I put into her. Dont think many who play warrior mages would like it much either.
Tawny

Postby Freelance on Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:20 am

Here have been a couple spells that have been milling in my mind for a long while now. Since we have this thread and talking about possible spells, I thought I should add these.

Measure
WaM x1
Combat

Warrior Mages have spent their time training both their mind to equilibrium. However, most other beings usually focus their skills more directly. This skill allows the caster to "take measure" of his/her oppenents skills--essentially allowing them to use the information garnered by !stats to form a plan of attack to strike at their weak points.

Imbue weapon
WaM x1

Warrior Mages walk the fine line of being able to use both sword and sorcery. Nothing brings this line to fruition more than enchanting a weapon with a spell.

By taking a round to cast this spell, a Warrior Mage can temporarily enchant his chosen weapon of Weapon Attunement with any Arcana spell she knows, only directing the spell into the weaponitself instead of an opponent, up to three slots per time Warrior Mage has been chosen. Example: at WaM x1, though he may have five slots of Fire Bolt, her skills only allow him to imube three into her weapon. Similarly, at WaM x2, only five slots can be imbue because that is all he knows.

This damage is added after the damage roll is made. A damage roll of 1 for example would become 6 for the previously mentioned WaM x2. a lucky hit for 50 damage would become 55.

This spell is not without its own costs, however. Since the damage is added post strike, it does not factor into striking her opponent. Additionally, it takes consentration to not let the spell fizzle out of the weapon--the caster is essentially keeping a Fire Bolt consistantly around the weapon after all. Hit or miss, the stamina cost to keep the spell going each round is equal to the slot level plus 1 IN ADDITION TO the standard physical attack. Using the !dodge function to restore the caster's stamina automatically causes the spell to wink out and needs to be reapplied. As such, this spell can lead to high risk-high rewards for a Warrior Mage.

Elemental resistances can leave this spell moot. Using a fire Bolt or Flaming Fingers Spell would end up doing zero additional damage to a Fire Mage, and even the base damage will be halved (rolled down). Using Chilled Touch or Ice Shards, however, will do 50% more damage FROM THE SPELL ONLY rounded down. Example: five points of of Chilled Touch on the attuned weapon will do a total of seven points of additional damage instead to a Fire Mage if the attack hits.
Freelance quotes:
"Over two millenia I've tried to help, and humanity's still screwed up. Do I need to pull out the clue bat or something?"
Freelance
Initiate
Initiate

Postby miyuka on Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:59 am

Measure: PRetty sure this doesn't require a spell, just good RP

Imbue weapon: awesome idea, prolly way too powerful though. There is an enchanment that does this very thing and it's quite expensive and only dishes out 3 damage at max. Great direction with this one and I do like the upkeep cost of it.
miyuka

Postby Freelance on Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:40 am

Yeah, I tried to give the Imbue Weapon some severe limitations, as
(1) it can only be used on the WaM's attuned weapon, so it might limit its power (some situations might call for a ranged, while others might have melee better, but since only one weapon can be attuned, the better viable weapon might not be the attuned one. Also, it gives the Weapon Attunement bonus something more worthwhile than a single round of combat);
(2) it's power is limited to the number of times WaM has been selected, which means the access for the higher damage output limits Mage selection and thus the standard mage's spell versitality; and
(3) to make this spell viable over several rounds, the WaM is going to have to put som serious points into stamina as well, which diverts more points away from the other base stats. So if a WaM x5 with 15 slots of a spell casts the spell on a sword, that's 16 Stam for casting it originally, a total of 34 Stam by the first swing, and a total of 42 on the second swing.

Like I said, high risk, high reward. Of course, if 3 slots mer WaM is too much, we could make it 2.5 (rounded down) or 2 slots, so that by x5, the max is 12 or 10 spell slots respectively.
Freelance quotes:
Freelance
Initiate
Initiate

Postby miyuka on Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:27 pm

I'd say at the most it could be +1 damage for every 5 slots in it so that it mirrors the enchantment so a wam could essentially get such a thing without having to shell out the money (but still have to take a turn to cast it) but anything more than that I would honestly say is pushing it.
miyuka

Postby Freelance on Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:47 am

Which would make 3 points max for having 15 slots of a spell purchased, which is a rather piddling addition and hardly constitutes the expense for buying all the way up, not to mention gives no reason to continue to select further WaM beyond the first, which it was trying to rectify in the first place.
Freelance quotes:
Freelance
Initiate
Initiate

Postby miyuka on Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:37 pm

you can use level up points to gain spell slots. if you wish to have it be based off of times Wam was taken it could be a spell that does two things, such as a small bonus to the attack roll based off slots as well as the extra damage: 1 damage at WaM X1 2 Damage at Wam X3 and 3 damage at Wam X5
miyuka

Previous

Return to Races, Classes and Skills