Ranked Skill: Navigation change

Questions and suggestions for additions or changes to these topics

Moderators: Stormbringer, Ehlanna

Ranked Skill: Navigation change

Postby rema on Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:45 am

Hi,

so was going to make a new char but the skills kind of screw with my idea, also this has effected another one of my characters as well.

Warriors have no access to Navigation, they have access to every other skill that could deal with maps or boats but not navigation, to me this doesn't make any real sense considering your average pirate/marauder/viking is probably a warrior, note too that warlord has access to it, but the basic class that feeds into warlord doesn't.

now since monks and priest and even druids have access to navigation I don't really understand why Warriors wouldn't as well.

so please add warriors to the accepted classes for navigation :)
rema
Novice
Novice

Re: Ranked Skill: Navigation change

Postby everwood on Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:45 am

I was just reading through this and noticed your post. I know this game isn't an exact replica of any time period, but actually up till the last half century, a navigator was an esteemed position.

A navigator would need to plot a course using charts and trigonometry. Every clear night they needed to take readings on the stars, and recalculate their bearings to adjust for drift and piloting errors. A sail boat can get off course in a hurry, due to small errors. Sailing to war presented the problem that some percentage of your fleet would likely not make it to the battle in time (or the location of the battle at all).

Even a pirate crew needed to compensate a navigator well, and would never risk such a skilled person in combat. Without someone possessing fairly advanced math skills, a ship might be unable to find harbor. Technology diminishes the respect for such a skill set, but it was highly technical one in its day.
everwood
Novice
Novice

Return to Races, Classes and Skills