Limits regarding Character Approval

Questions and suggestions for additions or changes to these topics

Moderators: Stormbringer, Ehlanna

Limits regarding Character Approval

Postby Joytoy on Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:33 pm

I’m afraid I’m going to get snapped at for this… but saying it anyways. *Bunkers down*

Character registration/limitations need to be fixed. As it stand now, this absolutely crushes creativity unless the write-up of a Race had the forethought to put in a great deal of diversity.

Not all of the Races are written or modeled with the same care as the Moriel Race. Many races lack individuality and diversity to give players options in not only appearance, but background stories and depth. Out of the races I have read, the Moriel have the most wide spanning height options from 4’8” to 6’4” (that’s huge!). They are not limited to one color of eye, or one color of hair.

The Sheyka and the Tribe are the two I see –most- limited by physical description. Hair – white – Eyes - red (tribe) or violet… maybe muted blue (sheyka) ONLY. No other race is so –heavily- limited. **Note - Sheyka are said to have 'other' hair colors, but this is not specified whatsoever**

I’ve heard the line: Grandfathered in characters. But I remember Tsunami changing her race, because she was told as a nymph she couldn’t have a slave. There are I’m sure, other cases, but I don’t know them all.

And if you're grandfather, why does it really matter –that- much. As long as the character is played per Racial Background… which is also rather biased on who made them – why does something so mundane as a variation in eye color matter? **I can go into the fact there needs to be a clean format indicating what is needed for every race to read similarly, but that does not belong in this post**

Now, I’m using an example I was given. I was told a character could not have ‘Indigo colored skin’ because it wasn’t specifically listed as an option in the Racial Characteristics. However, Sheyka are said to be easily mistaken for Moriel. Moriel are allowed skin colors going as out there as dark purples and midnight blues, which coincide with ‘indigo’.

Eye color again, there are freak occurrences when eye colors happen. Does a character not having specifically colored eyes make them less of their race?

I would like to make a character with purple hair, for instance, but have her human. Is it so far out and utterly breaking of my human racial class to say she had run into magic that backfired and caused a permanent change of hair color to the comically unnatural purple? It doesn’t affect dice, it doesn’t make her anything more than odd looking with a funny story to tell about her history.

But I have been told by other players such things are not allowed, regardless that there is an OOB spell – Change Self, that can easily be attributed to a broken artifact made to do such a thing for the owner, that was broken by a careless thief and then –bomf- the backfiring caused a permanent cosmetic alteration.

I don’t know… I’m just saying all this because I find it an odd and ultimately unnecessary stifling of creativity for the sake of ‘keeping true’ to a race. Keeping true to a race, would be staying in their original villages and never coming to Nanthalion. Nanthalion and TLI in general, encourage a character to change and become something different.

So I simply ask – can we not allow some more creative license to this process?
Beating, whipping, piercing, breaking, scarring, kissing, biting, licking, fucking, bleeding, aching, waiting, stroking, begging, longing, craving...
Joytoy
Initiate
Initiate

Re: Limits regarding Character Approval

Postby L`aquera on Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:22 am

Well, not likely snapped. But, you can do any changes in eye, skin hair color you wish on your characters, we have the spells to prove it, and some of them can be enchanted into items, jewelry, tats. Or, just pick up those spells, cast them before going or going into a scene where you wish it. No, you probably won't want to do them 'every little time' I don't blame you. But for now, its what you have to work with until such a time Dev might take up your thoughts and change a few things.
Don't breath, don't think.. for I am the shadow that will forever over take you..
L`aquera
High Council
High Council

Postby miyuka on Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:22 am

It's because Dev assumes players coming here are familiar with most fantasy races so we only list things that are very specific to a race. Such as your example with the Sheyka. Yes. Some races have restrictions that are much more strict that others. That is by design. Dev doesn't want you to be able to make any race look like just about anything under the sun. And while the pages aren't always the most updated of things. There is a reason why each character has to be looked at and approved by an OP. Also you can always come into the OOC or PM an OP and ask questions when you are confused about something. Either way, I highly doubt this crushes player creativity as I've seen many creative chars from the first time I started playing here up until now.
miyuka

Postby Tehya on Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:46 pm

That's the good thing about TLI or so I think and have played for 13 years. There is a basis to register your character, but there is also the leeway to be creative. That's the good part for me.

My main character has blue lips, well that's not particularly an elven thing, but she also has a mainstay in her diet or berries which stain them blue.

As others said there are plenty of spells you can use too or story-lines you could create.

What fun I have had playing my fae who likes changing her appearance all the time using the change self spell.

In story-line you could have light hair and tint it with natural substances to turn it purple. Your post urged me to look up hair dye and this is an interesting article. https://exploreb2b.com/articles/a-brief ... ye-in-rome
Tehya

Postby miyuka on Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:24 pm

you can buy hair dye from the GS ^_^ Yuka goes blonde once in a while.
miyuka

Return to Races, Classes and Skills